Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog scratched until raw

her122
July 2nd, 2005, 10:51 PM
My dog is 11 months old, she is a lab/newf mix. I noticed a spot around her shoulder blade, the spot where she scratches with her back paw. It is raw and there are small abrasion around the area. It looks like she has scratched it too much in one spot. I have cut the fur around the area so I could get a good look at it and clean it. I didn't cut it really short, just enough to be able to do those things. She does not have fleas, but she has always had dry skin. I assume it is dry skin because whenever I brush her, it is like dandriff.

Can someone let me know what I should do for the abrasion, at what point I should take her to a vet (she goes to the vet regularly, she is up to date on her shots, and is also on the 'revolution' flea drops. she does not have a fever.), and what I can do about her dry skin (I tried the omega oil stuff that the vets gave me, but it does not seem to help.)

Thank you

levimh
July 2nd, 2005, 11:08 PM
Have you been using the oils for a long time? I find that it takes a little while (in my case, about a month or two) to notice a big difference. Otherwise, have you tried changing her diet? Could it be the food?

her122
July 2nd, 2005, 11:30 PM
she has been on the oil for about 6 months. I haven't changed her food for a few months. I will try that when this bag is done. She has always been on a large breed dog food (she stopped with the puppy food when she was 8 months). Can anyone recommend a good one that wont completly break the bank.

LL1
July 2nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
What is she eating?Breed?

Luba
July 3rd, 2005, 10:43 AM
She's a lab/newf LL1

I would try supplementing with fish oil, get some flax seed oil and add that to the food (a little at a time)

Sometimes 'one' flea bite can cause an allergic reaction which takes time to slow down. Look closely at the area being scratched and determine what is going on.

Clean the area with a cool damp cloth and NO soap. Put some aloe vera gel on it to sooth it (not cream PURE aloe vera gel, either directly from plant or from a health food store)

raingirl
July 3rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
could this be a hot spot? I dunno, sounds like one but I've never seen one before.

Prin
July 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
I'd say when a rash develops, you should head to the vet, if you've never treated one before. (Have you posted pics of your doggy somewhere? I love newfs and I'd like to see her. :) )

goldenblaze
July 3rd, 2005, 07:34 PM
I agree it sounds like a "Hot Spot" they are common for long hair dogs, does your dog swim much? It does happen from lon hair dogs not drying fast enough. Blaze had a hot spot on his tail,I was told to use Gold Bond Medicated Powder it works well and dries it up in no time.

her122
July 3rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
No she has been swiming a few times, but nothing in the past few weeks.

I am not sure what the name of the food is. I buy it in a very large bag and then dump it into a large container.

I will try and post the picture of the spot I am talking about, but I think I will take her to the vets tomorrow because it seems to be getting worse since I found it Friday. But if anyone has any ideas in the mean time, I would be more than happy to hear them incase this happens again, or is common in some dog.

Karin
July 3rd, 2005, 08:28 PM
Looks like a hot spot to me. All it takes is a itty bitty scratch with a teeny weeny microbacteria introduced to the scratch and the tissues gets angry real fast.

her122
July 3rd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Thank you everyone. My vet opens at 8 in the morning tomorrow, so in the mean time I think I will continue to clean it with cool water. I will post tomorrow and let you know what it is for sure.

Luba
July 3rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
Agree it may be a hot spot!

You should know your dogs brand of food. Food allergies can trigger reactions and you should be buying a good brand of quality food.

Can do a search here for the topic of food and see the many threads that cover it. I prepare fresh food for my dog not processed dog food so I can't give you advise there on what brand to use. However I have heard some good things about Wellness, how true it is I'm not sure. :D

If it's open and oozing don't keep it 'wet' with constant water, it needs to dry to clear up so just tap it with a cool cloth then leave it be. Give your dog something to chew on to keep occupied.

goldenblaze
July 3rd, 2005, 10:40 PM
Yes that is a hot spot and will get out of control if not cleaned and treated. Power is good but cut the hair away from the area first, I uses HP and water on Blaze's it dried it up nice.