Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nursing Cat....Deit, Any Idea's???

Jamgirl
July 2nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Hi all:

I have 4 day old kittens, they are all doing fine. Momma came to me on a straight canned food diet, her owner had "crunchies" but never really offered them to her only so since she was a kitten, it has only been canned food.

My problem is this:"crunchies" clean the teeth right? I have bought some kitten food(I heard this helps make sure she gets all she needs while nursing the little ones, is this true?) other then mixing the two together is there anything else I might try?

My cat has only ever liked tuna juice and her "crunchies" I have tried to offer her canned stuff as a treat but she has never eaten it. I am not sure if there is another trick I might try or not.

Oh, when I mixed the dry with the wet, I see that she licks most of the wet off the dry and leaves the dry behind. I want to make sure she is getting enough for herself as well as the kittens, but I don't think just wet food is good for her. Am I wrong? Or maybe misguided is a better word.. :love:

Lucky Rescue
July 2nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Mother cats are usually ravenous and normally will eat whatever is offered.

Dry food does not clean the teeth. This is a marketing ploy of dry food makers.

Give her plenty of whatever she wants. Canned kitten food is good, or adult canned food. She needs the moisture in it and wet food is better for all cats than dry.

Fancy Feast is one canned food that not many cats will refuse.

Jamgirl
July 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I have been buying fancy feast so that works out well, she has been wormed(before babies), but feels boney so I wanted to make sure I was giving her all she needs. She pretty much has open food, I just give her more when I see it is getting low. Thanks again!! :thumbs up