Sign The Live 8 Petition

Luba
July 2nd, 2005, 09:45 AM
END POVERTY

PLEASE SIGN THE LIVE 8 PETITION

www.live8live.com

AND ENJOY THE SHOW

ONE LOVE EVERYBODY!

Every name on the LIVE 8 list - and every photo sent to live8live.com - will be taken from Murrayfield directly to Gleneagels on the eve of the most important summit in the fight against poverty.

This Long Walk To Justice culminates on Wednesday 6th July – the eve of the all-important G8 Summit - with a celebration of the largest and loudest cry to make poverty history the world has ever seen at Murrayfield Stadium

Here's where the concerts are taking place and who is performing:

When: Saturday 2nd July, 2005.

Where:

UK – Hyde Park, London

Edinburgh - Edinburgh 50,000 - The Final Push

France – Palais de Versailles, Paris

Germany – Siegessäule, Berlin

Italy – Circus Maximus, Rome

USA –Museum of Art, Philadelphia

Canada –Park Place, Barrie

Japan –Makuhari Messe, Tokyo

South Africa –Mary Fitzgerald Square, Newtown, Johannesburg

The Russian Federation - Red Square, Moscow

:D

Writing4Fun
July 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
It's actually www.live8live.com for the petition.

The show was FANTASTIC. But, I was really touched by two things other than the speeches made by the musicians.

Number 1 was the scenes on the big screen of the children dying. These were not like the commercials you see on TV. The weren't softened by music and editing. You heard quite plainly the children crying for their dead mothers and their own uncertain futures (or should I say certain, because they will most likely become sick and die themselves), and watched the mothers wrap their dead children in cloth. Then I thought about my own two children (being baby sat by my sister at the time) and cried a flood of tears for those poor people.

Number 2 was when Will Smith lead the "clicks". The ads showed people snapping their fingers every 3 seconds, symbolizing a child dying somewhere in Africa. So Will had everyone attending the concerts all snap their fingers together just to bring it home to all of us. One child every 3 seconds. Imagine. How many children died while I typed this? And again while you read it? One of the ads they displayed said that, if 50,000 people were to die on Monday of preventable causes in places like Toronto or New York, you can bet your bottom dollar that the leaders of the G8 nations would move immediately to put a stop to it.

Please, please sign the petition. Send a letter or e-mail to Paul Martin. Send a letter or e-mail to your MP. Please. :sad:

Luba
July 3rd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks for signing :D and for noticing the wrong url link
I did fix that yesterday after I previewed it and before I posted it but my correction didn't save?? weird

Anyway I did LOVE the concerts and watched ALL day and NIGHT and was brought to tears many times.

I'm so surprised you are the only one that responded to this thread. Perhaps others did but just went to sign and didn't remark. I hope so anyway!!!

:grouphug:

Cactus Flower
July 3rd, 2005, 03:00 PM
I signed, and last night I watched the Live8 show that was televised.

I lost it when they showed that girl who had ten minutes to live (years ago when they did this before)- then brought her out on the stage. Geldof said "Tell HER this doesn't work". Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!! That did me in.

I was a huge Bob Geldof fan back when he was the lead singer of The Boomtown Rats, and remain so now- even more because of his ceaseless efforts in Africa.

If you get a chance to read his book, it's worth every dime. It explains in detail how and why he started this campaign against poverty.

Writing4Fun
July 3rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
I think (and hope) folks just clicked on the link to sign the petition but didn't come back to comment on it. We're a pretty caring group here. ;) :grouphug:

Luba
July 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
...thinks of nickname....pondering....figuring out...telecommunicating it to everyone....GOT IT!!

THE CARE BEARS

LOL or if you're nudies you can be A CARE BARE

:p

Writing4Fun
July 3rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
LMAO!! If I were nudies, it would more likely be a Bare Scare!! :crazy:

(or Scare Bare ;) )

Luba
July 3rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
LMFHO thats so funny !!

kate_katlover
July 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Hi,

Live 8 was great! I have my own non-proft which builds, orphanages, clinics, schools, in countries around E.Africa(Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, ect) The one thing I have learned is money is the last thing that need to be put in one of there presidents hands..

I think Africa's problems are so complicated and I dont think singers are going to change it all. I suppose at least they are trying and it does highlight the problems. It's so much more complicated than aid though.
I dont trust aid agencies or government to get money to where it is needed. Corruption is a problem here but also with Aid agencies often there is so much administration work that the money gets tied up in that.
There are often droughts in Malawi - yet about one third of the country is a big lake. The mazie crops fail but the tea planations owned by big companies are properlly irrigated and thrive even in the dead of summer. THe UN hand out food when the locals need it year after year after their crops fail. What I cant understand why isnt it possible to create some sort of irrigation system for local farmers - surely that would help the people to help themselves and not just get used to taking handouts. That creates problems too. People need to help themselves. I saw a big problem in Africa with people thinking that just because you are white you should give them money - that they should be helped by handouts. It's really sad.

Even if every penny gets to them eventually it will be gone. Then what? We need people (just like for Tsunami Relief) To go down there with the money, use it to build schools, water systems, ect. Teach them how to make there own income(which they will do with even more pride) As I mentioned a lot of money will get tied up with administrative fees, even if none does, after the families use the money then we have to have another concert?

I think the effort was great and it is a great way to highlight the issue. Don't get me wrong I think it was fun and an enthusiastic way to help! It really put the FUN in FUNDRAISER!! The money can be put to great use instead, I just hope that's where it will end up....In 2-3 years I want to see if 1) there is money left(or they again need more) or 2) They put an extra mile of effort and built and stabalized things. They got people jobs and things running... I doubt it will be that but hey let's hope!

Luba
July 3rd, 2005, 08:35 PM
Do you have a website :D love to see a link!

Writing4Fun
July 3rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
Kate, I think you're absolutely right about not putting any more money into their governments' hands. You're also right about teaching them how to fend for themselves instead of relying on handouts. One of the messages yesterday was based on the whole "give a man a fish...teach a man to fish" ideal.

I have to reiterate, though, that Live 8 and its predecessor - Live Aid - aren't about money, and they certainly weren't fundraisers. It all about raising awareness and putting pressure on the G8 leaders to act now. I don't necessarily agree with increasing the amount of funding being sent to these countries. Like you said, it gets tied up in administration and gobbled up by the governments. I agree with you that we need to send people there to help build irrigation systems, schools, etc... Teach them all to fish (so to speak). ;)

I, too, would love to see a website. :)

Luba
July 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
If we could only teach the Politicians to fish instead of acting with fishy business ;) then we'd be so far ahead the road behind would look like an oasis! :D

kate_katlover
July 4th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks for clearing me a bit! I didn't catch all of the live 8 so sorry for any wrong inturpretations! I though it was a great awarness concert ..all over the world, and some of the singers are known in in almost every country! It can make a diffrence, a really big one, I just hope we can put some time and our thinkingcaps on to make rite 'history making' descisions! It is so far more complexe than toddlers with big bellies and old men so skinny you can see there bones. We have to go deeper into the problem I leaned early on..

Over packed orphanages or understaffed is the norm. Education is free there only if you can afford uniform/school supplies(app $5) which is far to much for most. We need to work in the system, most people want to bring a 'western' theme there and do it 'american way.'

Anyways enough of my opinions! It is just so sad and far diffrent from TV. Did any of you just ball your eyes out seeing those kids so skinny about to die? Imagine holding one of them... I think that would honestly be the solution! Get everyone down there, trust me you feel responsible to do something.

At the moment we do not have a website. We are in the process of making one and I will definetly post the link as soon as it is done! I have posted a pic of two of the little ones at a poor orphaange we are rebuilding!