Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Saving Bentley! - Help!!! Next Dog On Trial In Kitchener

JenSteele
July 1st, 2005, 06:52 PM
This is Bentley. The next dog to go on trial in Kitchener Ontario Canada. Bentley was originally incorrectly identified as an American Staffordshire Terrier as a puppy by some idiot when the owner went for Bentley's license last year in Cambridge. The owner, who is completely unfamiliar with dogs and dog breeds, didn't think to get a second opinion. The owner, not being to up on whats going on, didn't really think anything of it. Because of this and yet another KW HS officer not knowing a pit bull from a penguin, Bentley is now on trial for his life.

The situation of Bentley being accused was that he got out of his yard and was found a few houses down just hanging out. Again this dog has never done anything vicious and does not have any reports against him. Again, the KW HS is trying to take another dog out of a very very loving home. The KW HS showed up after a report of a dog at large. The owner took full responsibility for the situation. The KW HS guy asked if he could take pictures of the dog. The owner said fine. AFTER he took the pictures he announced that her dog is a pit bull - and her nightmare begins. Yes, you're reading this right - no call of a pit bull in the area came in for the by-law officer to suspect the dog.

I'm not going to give you more information on him yet. This is him a bit younger than he is now. Current pictures to follow.

What I ask you for at this point is breed opinions. I already have my own ideas after passing the picture around, would love EVERYONE'S opinions.

Please rev up your thinking caps one more time so we can help save Bentley.

Thanks!!!

Jen

Angeleyes1437
July 1st, 2005, 06:56 PM
looks like a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix to me... any updated pics? Does he have a ridge? That would be perfect for defense if he did.

JenSteele
July 1st, 2005, 07:02 PM
We're going out to the owners house next week to help her take new pictures.

Angeleyes1437
July 1st, 2005, 07:11 PM
Rhodesian Ridgeback

Coat
Should be short and dense, sleek and glossy in appearance but neither woolly nor silky.

Color
Light wheaten to red wheaten. A little white on the chest and toes permissible but excessive white there, on the belly or above the toes is undesirable.

Nose--should be black, brown or liver, in keeping with the color of the dog. No other colored nose is permissible. A black nose should be accompanied by dark eyes, a brown or liver nose with amber eyes. Bite--jaws level and strong with well-developed teeth, especially the canines or holders. Scissors bite preferred.

Copper'sMom
July 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM
Ummm.....he really looks like my dog, Copper. Copper is a Pit Bull - but then again how do we know for sure?? Seeing as though a Pit Bull isn't really a breed! But ya, he also could be a Rodesian Ridge Back - my dog looks just like one too(but a little on the chubby side :p )

This is just my opinion on what I think! I am by far no expert - that's for sure!

Angeleyes1437
July 1st, 2005, 09:54 PM
To me he looks like he has some sort of pit bull breed in him... however, if they are going to save him... they have to use something else. I think the best thing to go with is a Ridgeback because he does resemble one. I just didn't know if I should actually type that- but since you did, I guess nobody from Kitchner is checking the posts! :)

JenSteele
July 2nd, 2005, 03:29 AM
People from Kitchener check the posts... :) I'm not sure myself. I was told he was a boxer cross, but I'm leaning toward more mastiff or ridgeback. I think the best thing to do is keep an open mind about it and see where we can go with this honestly. I'm not asking people to lie, its a matter of what is he and where do we go from here... Now remember masking is not a pit bull, am staff or staff bull trait... if your dog looks like bentley it's not a purebred anyway :)

Lets remember the other way to save him is to find him a new home to go to as well.

Jen

mona_b
July 2nd, 2005, 02:13 PM
I have to be honest and say that unfortunately Bentley does have alot of Pit in him.And I truely don't see Ridgeback in him.He "may" have some boxer or mastiff.

If the only way to save him is to find another home,then I think that would be a better idea.Remember there is a ban coming our way.Pit and pit cross owners are going to have to muzzle their dogs,and comply with the ban.To me,I really don't think it is right to lie about what the breed is.I have co-workers who have Pits,and they don't like the idea of the ban,but they would never licenced their dogs as another breed.And this has nothing to do with them being Law Enforcement Officers.They are proud to be Pit owners.And they are not going to dump their dogs like many have done because of this ban.But they will comply with the ban,as I know many others will.

I would love to see recent pics of Bentley..... :)

Here is a pic of 4 PB Ridgebacks that were in Foester.They are 4 months old.

http://www.arrf.net/images/toronto4.jpg

Angeleyes1437
July 2nd, 2005, 03:04 PM
Well if I couldn't fight for him to not be put down, or move away I would lie rather than give him up... no? If he's a good dog it shouldn't matter what he is, except these days people are seeming to forget that with this BSL bull.

If he is a pit bull breed then I would try to fight BSL in general... however, some people just won't or can't take the time or make the effort. He definitely isn't pure bred though- I can tell you that.

Poor Bentley. I can always find him a good home in the states... even if I had to foster him until then.

babyrocky1
July 2nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
I dont know if this has anything to do with lying or not lying, we have legal systems in this country. They want to put Bently down, KILL him because they think he is a "pit bull" They cannot prove that he is a pit bull.(this we know from the committee hearings) We do not know what he is, and yes he does look like he might have pit in him to me, but who am I???? Who are any of us, are we experets-NO! These Kitchener people seem to want to run around accusing dogs of being Pit bulls by just giving them a quick glance, we have only seen one picture, often times pictures can be very decieving, Hey, we all know the camera adds ten pounds ha ha The best we can do is work from the assumption that Bently is not a pit bull and look for evidence of possibilities of other breeds and crosses that he might be. IF that seems un-likely to go through the courts with a positive decision for Bently then our next step is to find him a home or help the owners move. If it were Rocky, God SHUDDER, Please Never, I dont think I could stand in a court room and say," I dont believe in my heart that my dog is a pit bull." Im not a lier and ,hey, "I want to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am" LOL BUT in this dogs case, they may very well believe that there dog is not a pit bull and they should be supported in whatever way they chose to go that is best for the dog. The authorities should have to prove the dog is a pit bull, not the other way around. Isnt that one of the things we are fighting for, this is an unworkable law because of mis-identification. (Only one of the reasons its unworkable). In Canada, innocent til proven guilty. Or is that just a myth weve all been clinging to for our whole lives! They cannot prove the dog is a pit bull... If you go into court with that attitude and that presentation are you lying-NOPE!

Saradog
July 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Bentley looks a lot like boxer and possibly mastiff? It's the eye makeup and dark muzzle.

Saradog
July 2nd, 2005, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=mona_b]They are proud to be Pit owners.And they are not going to dump their dogs like many have done because of this ban.But they will comply with the ban,as I know many others will.

Mona, please tell your friends about the legal challenge fund, to take Bill 132 to court.

www.bannedaid.com

Saradog
July 2nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Actually, with that intense stare....possible some Dobe? Boxer/Dobe cross? Does he have any other Dobe features?

babyrocky1
July 2nd, 2005, 04:47 PM
Sarah dog could easily be right! Thats the point, we dont know, Ive seen Mastiffs and boxers, sure he could be a cross of those two easily, And there are probably many other combinations. He could be a mix of many breeds. These dogs are ,unwittingly, thats for sure, testing the law, and the law sucks and is anti-democratic. Lots of dogs look like "pit bulls" but are not. Thats why the evil MB includes in his leg. any dog resembling....In our legal system, the crown must prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt right? Or is that just t.v.? And the onus is on them. So if we can provide reasonable doubt, is that not an honest, legal, moral, thing to do?

Loki
July 2nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
OK - Keep in mind, I don't know what the heck I'm talking about - I know nothing about breed designations.

When I first saw the picture, I honestly thought Bull-boxer.
I've seen pictures of American Bulldog X Boxer that I thought look similar to Bentley.

I went to a Boxer forum and looked through some of the members photos that had mixes - there were a few mixes that looked similar.

It wouldn't surprise me if he were a boxer mix.

It is really hard to tell based on one picture. It might be easier if there was information about the dogs height/weight etc. Maybe a few more pics.

chico2
July 2nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
To me,this whole Pitbull bull,is unbelievable.. :evil:
I know of several pits who are wonderful dogs,instead of killing innocent dogs,which in itself should be deemed Animal-Cruelty,why do they not find a way to test both owners and dogs....would that not be the democratic thing to do??If one dog has been trained(abused)to be aggressive,then take action!
Why is KWHS killing them all??? It's cruel and beyond reasoning...people have to crawl,spend thousands of $$$ and even lie,to keep their dog,whom they love, alive! It's sickening!!
Not everyone will put in as much effort and love to keep their dog like Jen did and many dogs will die...it's a sad,sad state of affairs :sad:

Saradog
July 2nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Actually, with that intense stare....possible some Dobe? Boxer/Dobe cross? Does he have any other Dobe features?

JenSteele
July 3rd, 2005, 03:24 AM
Sorry I'm also trying to get my biz caught up still. Thanks for all the replies. I'm still waiting for Bentley's mother to get back to us with the rest of the details and answers to everyone's questions. Sorry. She's asked us if we'd mind helping her with taking new pictures. We're doing that next week.

IMHO I think he's a mastiff/boxer. I think the comments about them having to prove he's a pitbull are true. They can't prove he is, there's too many maybes in this. Hopefully his mother will catch us up on the rest of the details soon.

:) Jen

Melinda
July 12th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I would say Doberman/boxer, there are many dogs of the boxerX family that resemble him in other web pages.

happycats
July 12th, 2005, 07:29 AM
I say he looks like Boxer / Yellow Lab. :D

Iggette
July 12th, 2005, 08:08 AM
I think this whole situation is very sad :sad:

Bently's looks sure have changed since he was a puppy.

He looks like my daughters dogs

One is a pit/dane mix and one a pit/boxer mix.

Iggette
July 12th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Autumn is the smaller pup on the chair she is a boxer/pit mix Bently pup pic looks just like her

Melinda
July 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I have to agree with Iggette, the pup does look like her Autumn

kandy
July 15th, 2005, 01:05 PM
My first thought was some Boxer, but it's hard to say. Other pictures would probably help, but there are so many mixes that end up with the short hair, stocky build, etc that 'look like' pit bull traits. It's really too bad that any mixed breed dog that has short hair with a stocky build is going to get caught up in this. :(

CyberKitten
July 15th, 2005, 01:30 PM
My first thouht was boxer - he does look a bit like a neighbour's pitbull (one of the most calm and loving dogs you'd ever meet!) but I am no expert - and I guess that the's thing. Like Chico said, there needs to be a test - one that is purely objective.

Copper'sMom
July 19th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Anything new with Bently's case???

Here's a pic of Copper, 4 years old. Does anyone think he could be something other than a Pit bull??

chico2
July 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Copper looks like an adorable pittie,but maybe I also see a bit of Chi and Cockerspaniel in him :D

bdnhsdogs
September 8th, 2005, 06:32 PM
:ca: The City of Calgary has the most wonderful solution, and I really can't understand why Ontario doesn't follow their lead. When Winnipeg Manitoba implemented breed banning, the number of dog bites went UP, not down.

For anyone interested, check out this article:
http://www.bdnhumanesociety.com/calgary_solution.htm

babyrocky1
September 8th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Bryant and company were told repeatedly, at the committee hearings, before the hearings and then After the hearings that we needed laws more like Calgarys! Bryant is simply banning pit bulls because it is the easiest way to get himself in the media. If he can read and Im assuming he can, he knws that this makes no logical or moral sense, but he sees it as making politcal sense. He is CORRUPT! He is not looking to increase public safety. It is a farce and Ontarions who believe him have been HAD!LOL...sorry Bdnhsdogs....I forgot to welcome you to the board ;) ERRR we are not big fans of the Ontario government here :D

JenSteele
September 9th, 2005, 12:09 PM
So so true... boy wanted to make a name for himself.. .of course to anyone with a reasonable mind and 1/2 a brain know the name is ****head.

Bites in Ontario where BSL was in effect prior have gone up and moreover not because they banned the "wrong" breed but because BSL in general takes animal control authority efforts away from enforcing things that work like dog at large and leash laws. It's just an absolute rediculous mess of vague law that serves nothing more than to put certain politicians in the history books of legislation.

In Kitchener alone the bites from German Shepards, Husky and Husky mixes have almost trippled over last year. Gee I'm so glad that this interest in Public Safety has proven to be effective.. (that's trimendously sarcastic by the way :mad: )

We're currently waiting to see how Clayton Ruby's case goes against the province. There's a lot of us who, if they win, are going after our own municipalities on rights violations.

babyrocky1
September 9th, 2005, 07:28 PM
We're currently waiting to see how Clayton Ruby's case goes against the province. There's a lot of us who, if they win, are going after our own municipalities on rights violations.Good to hear...You GO (AGAIN) Girl LOL nice to hear from ya BTW :)