Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Baylee the sick Basset

DaniDunn
July 1st, 2005, 11:50 AM
I first want to thank everyone again for all your kind words and concern about Baylee and also the personal loss that my family has experienced.

Yesterday I drove 5 hours (one way) to take Baylee to Columbia, MO - Mizzou vet teaching hospital. I hate that she is so far away from me, but I have no doubt that she is in the right place. She will be spending at least the weekend in ICU with a central line ran and nutrients being fed her through that as well as multiple tests being run on her. Today they are doing ultrasounds, chest x-rays, endoscopes, and lots of different bloddwork.

If you would, please keep my Baylee in your prayers! I'll keep you posted with anything they find!

pags
July 1st, 2005, 11:54 AM
My family and I will be praying for Baylee and also for you. Please do let us know what's happening. :grouphug:

Cactus Flower
July 1st, 2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the update. I hope she will be ok.

Did you ever get my private message?

Luba
July 1st, 2005, 12:52 PM
I have nothing but positive energy sending towards you and your dear Baylee!

I hope there, they will be able to find out what is wrong with her. Yes she is further away then you would like BUT they are only a call away. Anytime you feel the need to call and check up on her, I am certain someone will accomodate you!!
BIG HUG

Karin
July 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM
Sending prayers and positive vibes Baylee's way.

Angeleyes1437
July 1st, 2005, 04:49 PM
I wish you and Baylee the best. I will have her in my prayers. :grouphug:

Copper'sMom
July 1st, 2005, 08:22 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Baylee. :grouphug:

DaniDunn
July 1st, 2005, 08:38 PM
The diagnosis is in, and it is the worst it could be.

Baylee does have cancer - in her liver and in her lymph nodes that are lining the inestinal wall. If we do no treatment, she has days, possibly 1 week to live, and if we do chemo (there is a 60 - 70% chance that it will be successfull), at the most she could have a year left. Before we make any decisions, we are going to talk to the vet and see what her quality of life will be for that next year if the chemo does work.

Thank you again for all your prayers and thoughts.

Copper'sMom
July 1st, 2005, 08:49 PM
:sad: I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. :grouphug: Whatever decision you make, we are all here to support you. :grouphug:

pags
July 1st, 2005, 09:14 PM
Oh I am so very sorry to hear this! :sad: So sorry.
Please know - as Copper'sMom said -- we will be here for you no matter what. :grouphug: We're still praying for you. :grouphug:

Luba
July 1st, 2005, 09:38 PM
Oh my goodness I am so very very sorry! I am so happy you took her there and I was afraid of this it's like what happened to Rusty all over again.

I KNOW what you are going through and if I could I would reach right out there and give you the biggest hug I could...this little one will have to do right now :grouphug:

I am so so very very sorry to hear this.

Luba
July 1st, 2005, 09:41 PM
One thing I wanted to add...

I HOPE they are starting to give her atleast liquids by mouth. Remind them, they forgot with my Rusty and I reminded them. He drank 2 bowl fulls of water in one sitting when on my lap. I bet Baylee would LOVE a nice bowl of water!!!!

again, hugs

Karin
July 1st, 2005, 09:48 PM
I am so sorry to hear this..

You must know Baylee could not have been in better hands then yours. You gave your all. She knows this too.

You are very brave to share this with us right now. Thank you.

Luba
July 2nd, 2005, 12:05 PM
I know this is a hard time to absorb any kind of information, but with the help of your family maybe you can review and read some of this information I found for you on alternative treatments:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/acancer.htm
A groundswell of nutrition conscious veterinarians are beginning to recommend to their clients that they supplement their animals diet with a daily dose of flaxseed oil, poured right over the food. The vets are finding remarkable results in clearing up skin conditions, relieving arthritic and inflammatory pain, as well as improved over all pet health. Mr. Paul Stitt, while addressing a scientific conference in North Dakota reported that flax increased bone strength as well as improved the silkiness and sheen of animals fur. When the diets of horses were fortified with flax, within three weeks their coats developed a beautiful sheen, and dandruff was greatly diminished. Within 9 months cracked hooves were completely healed. When a pregnant mare was fed flax, her offspring were larger, and grew faster than when previous to being fed flax. Further research indicates that horses fed flax and injected with the deadly organism Escherichia coli were better protected than those not fed flax, suggesting enhanced immunity in these animals. Select Alaskan sled dog mushers are fortifying their dogs diets with flax oil as it serves as a source of valuable energy, keeps less desirable saturated fats mobile in the blood stream, increases oxygen uptake to the cell, decreases recovery time from strenuous exercise, and prevents and heals worn and chaffed paws. Numerous studies conducted on animals and humans show that flax has powerful anti-tumor properties and may reduce tumor size by 50%.

Most of the chronic diseases we commonly see in animals (and humans) have an immune basis, e.g. diabetes, allergies, asthma, thyroid disease, inflammatory bowel diseases, repeated ear infections, cancer, etc. While they can be cured through the careful use of homeopathy, the road to cure can be a long one -- often years if the animal has had years of disease. Transfer factors can significantly shorten the course, by giving a much needed balancing effect to the immune system. If the immune system is overactive as in allergies, ear infections, asthma, diabetes, or hypothyroidism, Transfer Factor can balance this overactivity so the system is not attacking its own organs, overreacting to things that shouldn’t be perceived as a threat. If, conversely, the immune system is under-active as in mange, parasites, viral infections, or cancer,

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/pets/1239
1. Develop a positive belief system. Create and maintain a positive attitude. Prayer, whatever your religious affiliation, has been proved to help in the healing process. Don’t underestimate the power of this step.

2. Eliminate potential causes of cancer. Go through your pet’s entire environment. Modify it so that she or he avoids contact with pesticides, herbicides, airborne pollutants, and toxic household chemicals found in the carpets, in the furniture, under the sink, and in the garage. Give your pet filtered water, and serve water and food in non-plastic (ceramic or glass) dishes.

3.Add nutritional and supplemental support. Perhaps the most effective component of good health or healing is to put your pet on a good diet. Home-cooked organic foods are best. There are other health foods commercially available that do not contain preservatives, and they are made from mostly organic (or hormone, antibiotic, pesticide, and herbicide-free) high-quality foods.

Supplements are an excellent addition to a quality diet. Use therapeutic levels of antioxidants--vitamins A and C and the culinary herbs--and add extra levels of zinc, selenium, and omega-3 fatty acids (flaxseed). (Check with your vet to determine the proper dosages of any supplement, based on your pet’s weight.)

4. Use classical homeopathy. I have not found any medicine as powerful as classical homeopathy. . .when it works. With classical homeopathy you need to find the one remedy that best connects with the patient’s totality of symptoms, and finding this one remedy can be a challenge. Consult a holistic vet for the proper treatments.

5. Incorporate herbs to enhance organ function. When the organ systems are balanced, the body is better able to fight cancer. The major herbs I use are those that enhance organ-system function, aiding the organs that are under attack by the cancer cells. Consult a holistic vet for recommendations, or see the suggestions in Dr. Kidd‘s book.

http://www.drschoen.com/articles_L2_12_.html
Nutritional supplements can help in reversing or preventing the cachexia, or muscle wasting associated with cancer, they may reduce toxicity from chemotherapy and radiation therapy as well as decrease the side effects of these therapies if one chooses to use them. Supplements may also enhance patient recovery from surgery and radiation therapy. They may enhance the immune system and decrease the incidence of metastases. In our next column we will specifically look at particular supplements that you can use at home. The first step is to talk about the options with your veterinarian, perhaps a holistic veterinarian as well, and with all family members to decide what everyone feels would be best for your friend. That is the bottom line, what is best for them!

http://www.caninecancerawareness.org/HolisticTherapy.html

DaniDunn
July 4th, 2005, 02:27 PM
We got to Columbia Saturday night and had a 9 am appt on Sunday to see the vet. We got checked in to our hotel and went to bed and 3 hours later at 2 am, my cell phone was ringing off the hook. Baylee had begun vomitting again, and they didn't think she was going to make it through the night. Matt and I rushed over to the hospital, and as soon as they brought Baylee to us, you could see a noticeable change in her. Her tail was wagging 90 mph (the helicopter tail) and she spent the next hour kissing Matt and I all over!! When we left, she was so much better and did fine the rest of the night.

The next morning, when we all went to see her (the twins and my niece too), she was still thrilled to see us, but was obviously tired. She was very puffy and swollen (edimic I think the vet said) from all the fluids and protein they were giving her. Matt and I talked to the vet and all agreed that with the turn around she had made since last night, we would continue treatment and come back next Thursday and go from there. The vet seemed fine with that decision but informed us that she was going to need a blood transfusion later that day. She also informed us that Baylee was definately terminal and IF the chemo worked, she would have 4-6 months before she died. She had a new tumor growing in her intestines that was creating a blockage. The lymphoma cancer was progressing extremely fast. BUT, she said the chemo they were using was known to shrink tumors very fast as well. She gave Baylee a 10% chance that she would get out of the hospital and come home.

We took Bay outside for a little bit and when we came back in, there was an old man standing there and he said "That girl looks like she's a hundred years old". After spending more time with her, Matt, the kids and I all agreed that she was just so very tired. Our biggest fear is that she would die in the hospital all alone before next Thursday. We just couldn't face that possibility. As a family, we made what I know is the most selfless decision one could ever make. And we all held, kissed, and stroked our Baylee while she crossed the Bridge. Her tail wagged until the very end, and she went very peaceful without a bit of struggle.

My beautiful girl, Our Princess, The Great Bug Hunter, Precious Baylee. She was only 4 years old, not near enough time for all of us. But I have learned that life has no time or age guarantees. I wish so badly I had an answer to all the "whys". Right now I just can't believe that I'll never get another "scrunchy face" or hear her sweet bark with her rope still in her mouth begging me to chase her. I know I did the right thing, she is no longer sick, but dammit, it sure doesn't help any right now. And I know most of you know exactly how I feel. This has been the second hardest thing I have ever done, and I am tired. I don't want to do this again!!

Sweet Baylee girl, please know how much we love you and that I am so, so sorry I couldn't do more to keep you here. Please give Aaron a kiss for us. Baylee and Aaron are together again. I feel some comfort in believing that.

Our Baylee Bug
November 7, 2000 - July 3, 2005

Luba
July 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Baylee, you do know how much your family loves you!!

There is something very special about your soul, your spirit will live on in their memories of you. And if you get the chance, send them some sort of a sign sweet girl to let them know you got there okay and that you are fine.

I'm so happy that you were with her, God Bless your family!! I have you all in my thoughts. This was a very difficult decision but you did do what was best for her. I know exactly how you feel, to every emotion, pain and worry. Now you have no more worry about her...she's safe she's pain free and she will let you know that she's okay. You may just get a visit from her!

:grouphug:

Karin
July 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Go with Gods speed Baylee, sail on....

pags
July 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for your loss.

Baylee was in the best of hands when she left you -- and now she's in the best of places. What a remarkable family you are for having the courage and the love to make this decision for her! I'm having trouble finding the words I need right now... so I will have to keep this brief.

But please know that my family and I will continue to pray for you and yours.

Rest in peace, Baylee. :angel:

CyberKitten
July 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear you lost your Baylee!! My thoughts are with you - I hope you can try to think of all the wonderful memories you shared with her!!

Copper'sMom
July 4th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss! :grouphug: At least in her last moments, she was surrounded by the people who loved her as much as she loved you.

angie79
July 4th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss !!!

you did right by your girl to stay with her in her time of need. I'm sure there are people who would of let her stay there and be alone... :grouphug:

My heart and tears are with your family

hugs and kisses :grouphug:

chico2
July 4th, 2005, 05:02 PM
DaniDunn,you did the right thing for beautiful Baylee,it hurts and will for a long time,but Baylee is at peace,always remembering your love.
RIP,Baylee-girl :love:

Angerona
July 4th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Sorry for your Loss :grouphug: :ca: