Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bad behaviour, need help fast!

lazer/coco
June 30th, 2005, 11:33 PM
I have a 5 month old lab, and a 2 year old lab, both chocolate. the older lab is lazy and sleeps most of the time. very calm, dog.
Our 5 month old lab is very hyper, destroys everythng and anything in site. He hates to be left alone, he even destroys things when people are home. I don't know what to do, he is so cute and lovable, but he is destroying my house and our personal belongs and is costing me a fortune.
People have told me to get rid of him, I can't he's family, just like one of my children. Any advice would be good, I have been told to put a muzzle on him when we go out, but we work full time and I can't keep the muzzle on him all day, he won't be able to eat or drink. Also, he continually bites our 2 year old lab and sometimes will nip the humans.

LavenderRott
June 30th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Sounds like he needs a training class and a crate.

Angeleyes1437
June 30th, 2005, 11:48 PM
He is 5 months old, obviously without basic training. Labs tend to be very energetic dogs at a young age...moreso than most pups. First off he needs rules, boundaries and limitations. He should not have run of the house, or even a room while unsupervised. Do you have a crate or a play pen gate for him? I would suggest starting with that. Additionally, you need to watch him when you take him out to be sure that he is not destroying anything!

Obedience classes are a good idea, but the foundation needs to be set a home.

lazer/coco
June 30th, 2005, 11:48 PM
I live in Ontario, how do I know what training class is best, my vet hasn't actually been of much help.
any suggestions?

Copper'sMom
July 1st, 2005, 12:00 AM
I have heard of a good trainer just outside of London, ON. Unfortunately at this moment, I can't remember the name!! I think they are located in Putnam. I'd have to wait until Saturday to get the name from my vet's office.

Mockingcat
July 1st, 2005, 07:14 AM
Well, this is the best way I could come up with explaining it, so people with kids, hopefully you won't be mad with me for comparing them to dogs. :)

You know how sometimes in the grocery store, you see the 4 year old who's parents obviously have never disciplined him or taught him anything? He's screaming and tossing stuff on the floor, whining for candy, and generally being a pain? And then sometimes you meet well behaved, nice 4 year olds, whose parents have obviously spent time teaching their kids that it's impolite to tear things off shelves, etc?

Dogs work the same way. :) If you don't put time into teaching them how to behave, not to nip at humans and chew everything up, then they're going to think it's ok to do so. :)

I'd reccomend a basic obedience class, a nice crate for your puppy to sleep in when you can't watch him, and a whole lot of patience, because labs can have a ton of energy! :)

Melinda
July 1st, 2005, 07:45 AM
I have a two month old lab puppy and when I'm busy in the kitchen etc, I hook her 20 foot leash on her and tie it to my belt loop, that way, even when I can't be "right on top" of her, I know she's not hiding in another room chewing, it's impossible the way my home is set up to have baby gates, unless I found a 25 foot one *L*

angie79
July 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM
I would recommend making sure he is getting enough exersize, get out there in the yard if you have one, throw a frizbee,ball what ever you have, get him tierd,, alot of distructive behaviour can come from too much engergy.

don't take this as jab, I work f/t and so does my bf....so some what the same boat. but if your pup thinks he's not getting enough attention and distroying gets him attention even negative attention is attention... so make sure that when he is good give him tons of attention hugs kisses.... to reinforce the good behaviour. when he's bad take a deep breath to get a not loud but stern no out, and give him something he can chew on.

I too have a pup who trys to get attention luckly nothing of value has been distroyed but cayenne pepper is on the things he has tried and after time he wont touch it...

make sure he has chew toys, and he knows they are his and good toys, put peanut butter on chew bones to get his attention there. kongs are good, keeps attention for a long time.... but exersize and training are #1

oh yeah make sure the disapline is consistant

since he's 5 mth,,, it should pass..