Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fleas in cats and dogs

Tracy Martinez
June 30th, 2005, 11:04 PM
My mama cat had her kittens yesterday and much to dismay I found they all have fleas now. I called my vet and was told to spray flea spray on a towel and drape it over her for 5-10 minutes. I also called another vet and was told to use advantage or frontline. Now, I need to do something quick before this becomes too bad. I did flea shampoo mama 2 days before giving birth but obviousally it didn't work. I'm worried about the kittens getting sick. What should I do? :(

Tracy Martinez
June 30th, 2005, 11:39 PM
BTW, the vet suggested using Adam's Flea shampoo for Cats and Kittens. Has anyone ever tried this? The kittens are only 1 day old! :(

Tracy Martinez
July 1st, 2005, 12:05 AM
I'm using a lice comb on mom and babies and so far have killed a dozen fleas! I'm going to do this several times a day, although it's not easy with the babies being so wiggely! Since noone else seems to be up I guess I'm just amusing myself with all these messages! LOL :crazy:

Tracy Martinez
July 1st, 2005, 12:14 AM
The comb is also coming out tons of hair, which is good prevention of hairballs!

Jamgirl
July 1st, 2005, 12:31 AM
Hi I just had kittens born(3 days old now) have found fleas as well.....When momma came into my care I had bathed her then used advantage(only like 2 weeks ago) I called my vet and got permission to use the advantage on her but now there are fleas....I don't get it??? :confused: I didn't have fleas in the house, my cat is up to date an all of that, I am sure they were not in the house before, and now poof........is brushing /combing the little ones ok? I wouldn't want to hurt their sensitive skin.

Tracy Martinez
July 1st, 2005, 01:14 AM
Well, my kittens didn't seem to mind. Of course, I did it gently. So my opinion is that it's alot safer than using any chemicals or trying to bathe them since they're too young for that. My vet told me to try a flea comb but I had a lice comb left over from my daughter's little dilemma and it worked like a charm. I imagine they're basically the same thing. I also picked any fleas off I could catch, those little boogers are quick! Also, cats and kittens can become anemic, thanks to fleas, and that's sure to be worse than a little combing! Luckily Dori (mom cat) didn't mind I handled her babies and she herself started purring and quite enjoyed the grooming. My other cat Boots, on the other hand, didn't really care for it and got p'oed about the whole ordeal!
It can get expensive buying spray and drops and shampoo so I'm going to do this for a few days and see how it goes because I read up on Adam's flea shampoo and you can't use it on kittens under 12 weeks old. I'd imagine same goes for the others. But I'm going to get some Advantage too and use that on Dori and Boots also. I had bought some Hartz flea "drops" (in the tube) and the vet said NOOOOO that alot of cats have bad reactions to that stuff. Thank God I didn't use it before I asked! Dori was preggo at the time and it scares the heck out of me thinking it could've hurt her and/or the kittens. So anyway, I'm not a vet but the combing seemed not to hurt the kittens at all!

Lucky Rescue
July 1st, 2005, 09:42 AM
I had bought some Hartz flea "drops" (in the tube) and the vet said NOOOOO that alot of cats have bad reactions to that stuff

Actually, this stuff has killed cats, and Hartz has finally had the decency to take this product off the shelves. Over the counter stuff doesn't work anyway, so never buy it for fleas or worms.

Flea combs are great for use on kittens. Also, what you can do until the kittens are old enough for meds is to buy a flea collar and cut it up and put it in your vacuum bag. When you vacuum up the fleas, they will be sure to die!

Jamgirl
July 1st, 2005, 11:25 AM
I will get to combing then, as it sits I have just been picking of whatever ones I can see. It's not so bad on the kittens their hair insn't that long yet. Thanks.

Do flea collars really kill flea? I always though it was more of a distractant.....I never used them because I figured the fleas would just migrate to the un-collared end. Thanks for the tip :thumbs up I'll be getting a pack today!

pags
July 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM
buy a flea collar and cut it up and put it in your vacuum bag. When you vacuum up the fleas, they will be sure to die!

Wow LR that's one of the coolest tips I've heard in a long time! I've always wondered how to get the flea colonies out of my vaccum bags LOL Thanks for that!!!

Luba
July 1st, 2005, 12:34 PM
That is a marvi idea LR :D you so brilliant!!

Remember to keep the bedding clean, wash it with a little bleach and use the dryer to kill any flea eggs UGH I HATE fleas, poor little kitties!

Lucky Rescue
July 1st, 2005, 12:38 PM
Do flea collars really kill flea?

I would never put these collars on my pets. I feel they are a waste of money, and I wouldn't want something so toxic around my pets' necks for any period of time.

However, enclosed in a vacuum bag, they do work and with no harm to the cats!:)

Glad everyone likes that idea! I learned it one year when I had a major flea infestation, so bad I could see them hopping on the floor. :rolleyes:

Tracy Martinez
July 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Well, I just bought that Hartz flea stuff Monday so if it's off the market, K-Mart hasn't taken it off it off the shelves. :mad:

Tracy Martinez
July 1st, 2005, 02:25 PM
I loathe fleas!! I can't stand any bugs, PERIOD and now I have these nasty little creatures on my kittens...I've seen how bad fleas can get out of control so that's why I'm trying to get rid of them quick! I was watching Animal Planet one day and they were confiscating tons of cats and kittens from this lady who was a "collector" and these poor little things were just swarmed with fleas and they were almost dead from it. It was so sad. :sad:
Not to get off the subject but did anyone see that episode where they confiscated over 170 cats/kittens from some old guy's house? This guy had moved into his garage because his house was completely trashed from feces. I think they ended up taking the guy to a mental health facility. I had never seen anything like it, most of the cats were just wild and catching them took days. :eek:

chico2
July 1st, 2005, 04:22 PM
Tracy,that was one episode I did not like watching...most of the cats were PTS :sad: I only watch episodes with a happy ending...
I actually read in the paper Hartz flea-drops can kill cats and it is supposed to be off any stores shelves.If your K-Mart still sells it,I would go and tell them,also ask for my money back.

mafiaprincess
July 1st, 2005, 06:23 PM
Walmart is still selling the hartz flea products too. There's a current discussion on another board I frequent.. people with multiple dead cats and kittens from using it.. and they had mainly bought it from Walmarts across the US though.

Tracy Martinez
July 1st, 2005, 08:35 PM
http://hartz.com/Our%20Products/Browse.asp (Page 4)
If they're not selling it anymore, then I guess someone forgot to change their products page.... :confused:

Karin
July 1st, 2005, 10:09 PM
Hartz products and any otc product like LR stated can kill your cat, if it does not kill them it sure makes the vet treating them rich, trust me on this one. Seen it too many times.

WhKnight
July 1st, 2005, 10:29 PM
That tip about the flea collar in the vacuum bag is a great one. I know several fellow hikers who use them around their ankles (over their pants and socks) to keep ticks off during hikes.

Lucky Rescue
July 2nd, 2005, 07:50 AM
I know several fellow hikers who use them around their ankles (over their pants and socks) to keep ticks off during hikes.

Now there's a great idea!!

raingirl
July 2nd, 2005, 07:52 AM
they still sell those hartz flea meds at all the stores I have seen, even some pet stores. I know that at least a few zellers and some walmarts in my area sell them.

chico2
July 2nd, 2005, 08:29 AM
I have used Advantage for many,many years and although there probably is a risk with any pesticide on animals, would never buy flea-protection from any K-Mart or Walmart or even Pet-Shops.
Advantage costs much more,but on a tip from Luba,I now put on half the amount prescribed by the manufacturer and a box of 6 tubes/$68can now lasts twice as long and no fleas.

pags
July 2nd, 2005, 11:28 AM
My husband just got back from Wal-mart (I got out of a weekly shopping trip YAY) and he says they're still selling all the Hartz flea-drop things. Maybe they're phasing it out?

BTW - flea collars on the ankles.. MAN why don't I think of these things? Fleas like my toes. Why is that? No where else.. Just toes. I suppose they like to concentrate all of their irritating power on the hardest possible place to scratch....

Our vet didn't want to start any flea regimens just yet on Judge until we get his immune system stronger.. So we're suffering through combing and picking like little howler monkeys around here. I crank my a/c down to sub-zero to prevent the eggs in my carpet from hatching until I'm able to treat them by the way. We're the only family on the block wearing sweaters in July. This works great while we're working on getting them off a newly infested dog/cat and out of the yard ... then we conquer the house so we don't reinfest. BUT one year I was in the middle of the process when my a/c unit broke down. :eek: Within hours it was flea city. :p My poor toes.

Beatle412
July 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
When I got my kitties and they were infested with fleas the vet told me to wash them with Dawn dishwashing liquid. He did specify not to use genericas or any other brand. However there wasn't a momma cat around, So I am not sure how that will work with nursing cats.

Hartz may have taken the product off of the market, but since this isn't a "vendor" item and comes in on the regular trucks, (yes with your produce and other food items) Wal-Mart will not get re-imbursed for any prodcut they "voluntarily" pull off of the shelf. Many other "chain" supermarkets work the same way. (I speak from experience, I worked for Wal-Mart as well as Kroger and Winn-Dixie) A lot of companies also see dollars and don't see lawsuits when it comes to the health of animals. If this product were to cause severe symptoms in people it would have been pulled immediately. Not saying this is fair or right, but how they operate. So you'll be likely to see the product untill the stores run out of their current stock.

What we use as the animals get older is some once a month pill the vet gives them. (Frontline?) Fleas are inevitable where we live but since we try to keep an "organic" (or close to organic as possible) house, I control fleas by putting a few cans of Sea Salt into my belnder and making a fine powder. Then I sprinkly it on ALL of the floors downstairs...We go out for the day and when we get back I vaccum the floor and damp mop them behind it. This takes a while to rid the fleas because it actually only kills the eggs. (It dries them up) and requires a bit of extra work. (And I have been told it doesn't work the best on carpet floors)

My parents use 7 dust around the outside of their doors and windows. I will warn this is a HARSH chemical and shouldn't be used if your pets spend ANY time outside or if you have small children. You also have to be very careful with shoes/clothing that comes into contact with the stuff becasue it can kill a good sized pet. But it works and is low maintenance...I am sure however that there is a happy medium...

Steph

kitkitkitty
July 3rd, 2005, 06:00 PM
Fleas are definatly nasty little creatures. When we first got our Dante he was so covered in fleas that you were covered in debree the minute you touched him. Since we got him when he was 8 weeks old and only weighed in at a whoppin 1.5 pds we couldnt do a whole lot i called the vet and his only advice was to comb and pick. Then i went to are organic kitty store and they suggest mayonaise. It works wonders :thumbs up take a spoon full and hub it into there fur.for the older kittys you will have to use more.Let it sit for anywhere from 5-15 minutes. This actually suffocates the little biting flea creatures. Then just wash them off with a warm cloth this can take a few tries then comb as usual. We did this for about to weeks every few days and the fleas were gone. Once he put on enough weight and was old enough we switch to the advantage as a precaution. :) kitkitkitty
PS it works for lice on children to just leave on for 45 min

melz
September 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Hartz? That's what i used for my dog yesterday!

i'm still searching forr the best flea removal things to use/do.

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Cedar shavings placed in a pillow case under the bed will work as a natural bug deterent.
You can also add them to dog pillows that unzip.

melz
September 13th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Cedar shavings placed in a pillow case under the bed will work as a natural bug deterent.
You can also add them to dog pillows that unzip.
Thanks!!

Something I can make myself without spending tons of money, a bit of fabric, needle and thread cedar shavings and voila!

Thanks Stacey

LooLoo
October 20th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Wow....just the kind of tips I have been looking for! Thanks!
The momma cat/kittens I rescued (6 total) have finally been old enough to treat with Advantage, so now I have to work on my home. I wish I had known this sooner (cedar shavings/flea collar in vac bag)...I could have gotten a better head start...lol
Thanks so much!
Linda

Prin
October 20th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Good luck! :)