Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scabby skin on kitten :(

Melusine
June 30th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Hey everyone! Hoping you can help me and my 4-month-old, DSH kitten, Fiver.

A couple of weeks ago, while petting Fiver, I noticed some bumpiness under his fur. It was really hard to see (his fur is quite thick) so I ended up trimming the fur over the area to get a better look at it. What it is, as well as I can explain it, is scattered bits of raised, rough skin-like-stuff, light pinkish-to-brownish in colour, no bit more than a few millimetres in diameter, some of it a bit flaky and partially unattached to the skin. No pattern to it, doesn't seem to be hurting him or itching him. I showed it to the vet when we were in for a vaccination last week, and he thought it looked like mild scabbing--gave me some antibaterial soap and gauze to wash it with, and basically said, don't worry.

So in the last couple of days, I've noticed the same sort of rough bumpiness in other areas (the first, and largest, area is on his side just behind his front leg; the new, smaller, areas are behind one of his ears, on his lower belly, and under the other front leg). I'm sure these are new, as he gets lots of petting so I'm sure I'd have noticed them at the same time as the first spot, if they'd been there then. He still doesn't seem bothered by them at all.

They don't look like any of the skin conditions I've read about in our cat books. If they are scabs, I suppose it could be from playing rough with the other kitten (though I've never seen any indication that she hurt him). He also gets into a lot of dirty spots--always crawling under things and behind things--if that could irritate his skin. The other thing that's changed in the last couple of weeks is it's been very hot. I brush him regularly, and they've got an excellent diet--Innova dry food and Felidae soft food, plenty of water.

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be, and/or how I could deal with it? (I'll take him back to the vet if it continues to get worse, but it'd be nice to have more of a clue what's going on.)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but important--he hasn't been losing any fur/getting bald spots, so it's probably not parasitic.

Thanks!

JDG
June 30th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I'd seek the advice of another vet. . . . .

Has anything changed recently for your kitten? Like food? Is your kitten under any undue stress, perhaps at being bullied by your other kitten?

It could be an allergy to something. Or maybe even a reaction to the changes in weather/humidity we have been experiencing lately.

Melusine
June 30th, 2005, 09:18 PM
I was wondering about allergies and humidity--though in terms of allergies, I don't think he's been exposed to anything new lately (same food, same living space, same bedding, same toys, etc.). If anything, *he* bullies the other kitten (which is okay, I suppose, considering she's nearly twice as big as him, so she can fend him off if she really wants to ;) ).

So perhaps I will need to take him to another vet. I don't really know the one he's been to, it's just that's the clinic where I adopted him, and they covered the check-ups and vaccinations in the adoption cost.

Thanks for your thoughts!