Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet's response to "mentally challenged" cat

5willow
June 30th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I brought my cat Rocco to the vet, thinking she was "mentally challenged", etc. (Thanks for the advice, everyone!) I found out she has a bad case of a dental problem, which rots the teeth from the outside in. Don't remember the name, but she said there is no treatment, except to extract the teeth that are effected. This is what has been causing her drooling, and her problems with cleaning her self. She has an infection from it, which probably causes her to not feel so well, which may be the cause of her being a little off balance, etc. I know I don't think right, or sometime act right, when I don't feel well, either! The vet gave me some antibiotics to give her, but I told her it has been a real problem getting her to take any medicine. So the vet tried to give her the first dose - with no luck! Rocco's mouth was so sore, it started bleeding all over the table. So they are going to just get her in right away to her teeth taken care of, and we'll do the antibiotics after that.
They will check on my other concerns after this is taken care of.

Melinda
June 30th, 2005, 04:29 PM
so glad to here there is a solution to your problem!

Luba
June 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I am SO happy you took her to the vet, poor baby has been in so much pain I bet.

Get those teeth taken care of and she will feel so much better..give her a hug for me :D

Lucky Rescue
June 30th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Oh I'm so glad you took her and her suffering is nearing an end!:)

The pain must be awful, and I know she'll be so happy to be rid of it!

Prin
July 1st, 2005, 12:40 AM
I'm so glad you're getting the teeth out. Sadly, not to many people would opt to pay for the surgery. Good luck. I hope all turns out well. :) :fingerscr :grouphug:

Cactus Flower
July 1st, 2005, 01:58 AM
It was sweet of you to re-word your title this time. I know that many members will appreciate it. Thank you for being so considerate.

I am glad you found out what the problem is, and that you are going to have it taken care of.

Did the vet give her an antibiotic injection, in the meantime?

Great of you to update us, and I wish you and your kitty the best of luck!
Let us know how it goes!

:grouphug:

pags
July 1st, 2005, 02:28 PM
willow - I'm not sure how I missed your updated thread but now that I've stumbled across it.. I'm so relieved for Rocco AND for you! I know the treatment and all of that is rough as well -- but it's so good that there are at least a couple mysteries solved and you're on the way to getting help with those. :)

Poor baby.. I'm a total wreck when I just have a toothache!

Be sure to keep us updated on her progress? I'm really excited for you both. Many hugs your way.

--pags

chico2
July 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM
Willow.that's great news.... :thumbs up My cat Peppi had two teeth pulled,when he was 16yrs old and it all went great..he was also diabetic and later got cancer,but lived to the ripe old age of 18..

NicInNC
July 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM
I brought my cat Rocco to the vet, thinking she was "mentally challenged", etc. (Thanks for the advice, everyone!) I found out she has a bad case of a dental problem, which rots the teeth from the outside in. Don't remember the name, but she said there is no treatment, except to extract the teeth that are effected. This is what has been causing her drooling, and her problems with cleaning her self. She has an infection from it, which probably causes her to not feel so well, which may be the cause of her being a little off balance, etc. I know I don't think right, or sometime act right, when I don't feel well, either! The vet gave me some antibiotics to give her, but I told her it has been a real problem getting her to take any medicine. So the vet tried to give her the first dose - with no luck! Rocco's mouth was so sore, it started bleeding all over the table. So they are going to just get her in right away to her teeth taken care of, and we'll do the antibiotics after that.
They will check on my other concerns after this is taken care of.

My parents just took in one of 46 greyhounds and it had to have ALL it's teeth extracted except 2. They were all rotting from the inside out and STUNK!!!

Now she has nice smelling breath and she even ACTS happier.

CyberKitten
July 4th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks so much for helping this kitty and for changing the "name". It is not just being pc, it is a matter of respect and I am thrilled you did that - a great example for others!! That is great news about this cat too!! I hope she will feel better soon!!