Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Panting for a long time.

SarahLynn123
June 30th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I have an 8 year old German Shephard who goes running every night with my 7 year old Cockerspaniel and my bf. (I take the Pom separatly to work on his manners) It seems like she is panting for an exceptionally long time after we get home (about an hour). We dont have air conditioning but we have the shades down all the time to keep the place cool. Also she didn't want any water. Is this something I should be concerned about? and idea what we can do to cool her down (she is afraid of water)
Thanks
Sarah

Melinda
June 30th, 2005, 12:49 PM
some dogs just love chewing icecubes or popsicles. You can get pedialite popsicles for children if you think your dog could be dehydrated

Luba
June 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM
My dog is the same, it's her coat it's heavy and hot and she is a panter to begin with :D

Take water with you on the walks and when you return let your doggie lay in the basement, it's cooler there (if your are in a house)

Ice cubes are great and you can wet a towel with cold water and place it on their neck if they let you :D

Prin
June 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I take a doggy towel, wet it a lot and scruff up the fur with it- especially the forehead, the feet and behind the ears. Boo hates to be wet, but he likes the scruffing-- the melancholy life of a doggy. :D

SarahLynn123
June 30th, 2005, 01:47 PM
thanks for all the ideas! I will try them all and see what she likes! I was a bit worried becasue my spaniel pants twice sips some water and has a snooze so to see Shadow have such a tough time got me a little worried.
Thanks again!
Sarah

(we do have a basement, bf and Shadow usually go down there and lay on the floor, never tought of it last night though! thanks for the reminder!!!)

Lucky Rescue
June 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM
IF you're in an area where you're having this awful heat, I would not be taking this 8 year old dog running at all.

Dogs don't have very efficient cooling systems, and your dog could easily suffer from heatstroke.

For exercise, you can take her walking (not running) later at night when it's cooler.

SarahLynn123
July 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM
IF you're in an area where you're having this awful heat, I would not be taking this 8 year old dog running at all.

Dogs don't have very efficient cooling systems, and your dog could easily suffer from heatstroke.

For exercise, you can take her walking (not running) later at night when it's cooler.

We are in Calgary and its not hot...yet (Im still wearing a jacket). We also keep all dogs in the house during the day and only walk or go to he park at night. We will play it safe though and only walk jus tot be sure!

Thanks Lucky, the last thing I want is for Shadow to end up with heat stroke.

Lucky Rescue
July 4th, 2005, 09:13 AM
OH, Calgary...well for sure it's not too hot there!

Is your dog overweight? Has she always been on heartworm preventative?

SarahLynn123
July 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM
OH, Calgary...well for sure it's not too hot there!

Is your dog overweight? Has she always been on heartworm preventative?

She is at an ideal weight and according to her adoption papers she has taken some sort of heartworm prevention. It will probaby get scortching hot towards the end of this month but right now doesn't seem hot, unless Im too busy swatting mosquito's to notice!!!

Lucky Rescue
July 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Are you giving her her monthly heartworm prevention now, and has she been tested this year?

SarahLynn123
July 5th, 2005, 08:22 AM
She has been tested at the beginning of this year, I thought it was a yearly vaccination, I will talk to my vet.
Thanks Lucky

Roxy's_MA
July 5th, 2005, 11:32 AM
LuckyRescue - I was told by my vet the don't need to treat for heartworm in Alberta. I sure hope it was good info because I don't treat my dog for heartworm.

SarahLynn123
July 5th, 2005, 11:41 AM
LuckyRescue - I was told by my vet the don't need to treat for heartworm in Alberta. I sure hope it was good info because I don't treat my dog for heartworm.

and my vet never mentioned a word about heartworm at any of the visits we had. We have taken them all in for all their vaccinations and not a word! They did say that fleas are very rare in Alberta so if the dogs are itching its probably something else like allergies.

Roxy's_MA
July 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM
The following link gives information as to why we don't treat for heartworm in AB.

http://www.braggcreekanihosp.com/tales/heart_wm.htm

Luba
July 5th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I don't do heartworm preventative. Collies have been known to have bad reaction to them. Also, been thankful that the collie breeders I've spoken to in Ontario feel confident in not giving preventative to theirs either.

My dog is an indoor dog and I think the more exposure to deep wooded areas with high infestations of skeeters is where you are most at risk.

Lucky Rescue
July 5th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Interesting. I know there are places that never have heartworm because of the climate, but didn't know AB was one of them!

Did Shadow always live in AB?

SarahLynn123
July 5th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Did Shadow always live in AB?

As far as I know yes. She was dropped off in the pound from a reserve with one of her pups. (They had to move) Im assuming its the reserve just outside of town. She was also given heartworm prevention medication at the humane society.