Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SAAQ strike!!!!!

angie79
June 30th, 2005, 09:27 AM
ahhh this sucks. time to pay my car reg. and they are on strike......that means massive line ups at certain ones that are open (CAA outlets)
Since they didn't send out all reg renewal slips (yes i did get mine) some people who are due at the same time as me I know didn't get thiers 1 friend and my dad.... we all know when they are due if we've oned a car long enough...

wondering to aviod the lineups should I play dumb like I didn't get it?
Or play dumb like I thought all outlets were closed?

JDG
June 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I went to the CAA on St Jean in Pointe Claire to get my licence plate - we just got a car.

We were there for 10am when it opens, and the line moved pretty quickly. We were in and out in 30 minutes.

The CAA SAAQ people are very effiecent. They asked what we were there for, asked for our I.D., and other documents needed - they were turning people away right then and there if they didn't have everything they needed.

My husband has to wait till the SAAQ strike is done to transfer his licence though, he currently has a British drivers licence, and the CAA cannot transfer it to a Quebec licence. . . .

Be sure to check the CAA website to see which of the SAAQ services they can preform, because they can't do everything the SAAQ offers

angie79
June 30th, 2005, 09:51 AM
30 mins isn't long, i heard 1-2 hour waits, we also have to transfer ownership motorcycle

angie79
June 30th, 2005, 10:01 AM
thanks for the website idea. valleyfield is supposed to be open going to try that one!!!!!

wish me luck

Britishvixen21
June 30th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Is it me or does everyone in Canada Strike if someone farts in the wrong direction? JDG your hb if he is a brit will probably agree with me.

in Ontario so far this year weve had

TTC
Hydro One
Toronto city outside workers
Garbage men
Teachers
Anaestiologist (SP?)
School Admin Staff
Airline pilots
and more that i cant even think of

All on either strike, work to rule, or on the edge of strike!
I agree that it is everyones right to fight for whats right but when does this become a joke!

angie79
June 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM
right now in quebec we have to my knoledge:

Saaq
teachers
day care workers
SQ

had the SAQ
I'm sure there are more

and i know SAAQ's make alright money

JDG
June 30th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Is it me or does everyone in Canada Strike if someone farts in the wrong direction? JDG your hb if he is a brit will probably agree with me.

I disagree with that, BV. I lived in England for just shy of 3 years - in that time Royal Mail went on strike 3 times. Tube workers twice. SouthWest Trains once. Garabage collectors twice!!! I think there is alot of farting going on in Britian too then! :D :D :D

Actually he is Canadian (from Ontario) He was required to switch his Canadian licence to a British to get car insurance while we lived in England.

It was quite a bit of hassle to get a British licence.

The CAA can exchange a Canadian licence from one province to another, but can't transfer international licences to a Quebec.

Britishvixen21
June 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I guess your right, I just probably didnt pay as much attention to it there. and the licenses are a bitch to change over. Its easier just to start again. Luckily i had never driven in the UK so i didnt have any bad habits. although i still look the wrong way sometimes even now. Im learning to drive at the moment.
Where in England did you live?

JDG
June 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM
We lived just outside of London in Surrey.

Elmbridge, Runnymead, and Woking Boroughs

Britishvixen21
June 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Nice area, I hail from Essex originally, and if you have ever been to Essex youl know why im now in Canada ;)

Melinda
June 30th, 2005, 12:45 PM
We haven't had a strike yet in Cornwall, Ontario this year *knocks on wood*. I'm govt daycare and not allowed to strike. My daycare is in my home, my daughter is an ECE graduate and just received her first job in a govt run daycare, she's so thrilled, she only starts at 21./hour, but she'll be doing uni in the fall and this will sure help towards it! But to get back to the topic, she had to sign a paper saying she read where it's not legal to strike.

JDG
June 30th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Nice area, I hail from Essex originally, and if you have ever been to Essex youl know why im now in Canada ;)

Ah yes Essex, I spent a week there one night. . . .

I have a friend who always uses 'Powered by Essex Girls, Guiness and the great British pound' as his signature line. . .

Britishvixen21
June 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
LOL thats a good one, Where im from in Essex is quite frankly the welfare, teen pregnancy, high school drop out epicentre. I was fortunate enough NOT to be born to parents who sat on welfare eating junk food, sitting on there ass watching Jerry Springer all day. and actually got a very good education and good family morals. Hence why i moved away at the earliest opportunity.

I moved away at 19 to Derbyshire which is a beatiful part of England and the poeple are so different, they talk about the North / South divide in England and i saw it first hand.

However in 2003 I decided to go travelling, came to Canada met my soulmate and here I am ;)
If we were ever going to go back to England (which i think about intermidantly throughout the year) we would go back to Derbyshire.

What were you doing in England? working? and how did you like it?

JDG
June 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I worked in the Paintball industry, as I do back here in Canada.

We moved to England for my husbands work - and we moved back to Canada just recently for a different job opportunity he had.

I loved London, and if money was never an issue, I'd move back. I miss the big old city!

Although I am thankful to be back because we have such a better lifestyle here and have much nicer things and more money in pocket. Also I got the best kittens in the world. I wouldn't have them if we were in England.

I call them my little moggies.

Britishvixen21
June 30th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Awww that is so cute, I am Mommy to Cali, we adopted her through this site, shes a real pampered puss and we wouldnt have her if I had stayed in England. But i do miss the family dog Holly (collie / retriever) back home she was my little baby and refused to say goodbye to me the day I left :(
But if we were going to go back to the UK we wouldnt think twice about taking Cali back with us, its 'easier' to do now with the pet passport scheme though it is pretty costly but shes worth it.