Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fido, fireworks not a good mix

Dogastrophe
June 30th, 2005, 07:06 AM
From today's Halifax Herald:

Fido, fireworks not a good mix

By MATT HUNT GARDNER

Canada Day is tough on pets - and it's mainly because of the fireworks.

"While we're all oohing and aahing over the loud booms and pretty colours, many family pets are frightened out of their wits and spend the long weekend under the bed, in the basement, cowering, shaking, drooling and seeking safety even if it means running through a plate glass window to find it," SPCA Nova Scotia president Judith Gass said Tuesday in a news release.

The SPCA recommends people keep animals well away from fireworks displays. Pets should be inside the house and livestock in a secure well-fenced paddock, stable or barn.

The noise and explosive colours make fireworks the No. 1 fear for domestic animals, says the SPCA.

The sound can be muffled with a radio, TV or fan, and leaving someone at home with the dog, cat, pony or goat is also a good idea.

The SPCA suggests that people with nervous dogs or cats, old pets or pets with heart problems talk to their veterinarians about getting light sedatives for their animals during high-risk periods.

It's also recommended you ensure your pet is wearing a highly visible collar, an identification tag with a current phone number and address and a current licence/rabies tag.

That way, if an animal does bolt and get lost after a too-close encounter with the fireworks, there will be a much better chance of finding it.

The SPCA also suggests calling local animal shelters as soon as possible if a pet goes missing and taking a trip to the shelter to look around.

angie79
June 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Good thing Us in Quebec do it two weeks in a row for practice at scaring the wits out of our animals.

lezzpezz
June 30th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Yep...the fun began for us last night. Poor Rosie was beside herself as one of the neighbours was lighting of ladyfingers etc. sporadically throughout the night. We will begin the Valium tonight so the poor thing can kinda glide right thru the weekend. I find that 1/2 the dose the vet recommended is sufficient to take the edge off and we can all relax! Poor girl!

Last week, there was yet another event with fireworks and some poor puppy went barrelling down our street at top speed, scared out of his wits. About 1/2 hour later, his owner was bellowing out his name and looking everywhere for him. Next morning, there were posters plastered everywhere, I mean everywhere! with contact info for the owner, should someone find his dog. Not sure if they were ever reunited, but that is just a typical incident every time fireworks are discharged in my area. Granted, last week was an unexpected show to many, (native festival of the season), as it was not the usual Victoria Day celebration et al. Best to keep your dogs indoors with the stereo on loud!

Melinda
June 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Should all dogs be scared of the noise? Our neighbours, 75 feet from our house, were letting off very noisy fireworks last night, the boom was unreal, it would shake the house, I took the pup (8 weeks) out to pee, on a leash in case she bolted, but it didn't faze her in the least, she sat on the deck with her head turned up watching them, my hubby's motorcycle doesn't frighten her, and it's quite the loud machine, no baffles, she isn't hard of hearing, she'll hear me call her from the other end of the yard when daughter and I practice recall, and in the long grass when we do "hide and seek". She cocks her head when the mailman opens the mailbox at the end of the driveway and she's in the living room. Does she just have nerves of steel? or what?

Jackie467
June 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM
some rare dogs are ok with the noise. My mothers dog is so afraid of it he will hold his pee until well after it ends. Jasmine isn't as afraid but she'll hide in the closet until it's done. Candi on the other hand actully watches them. I thought she would be afraid at new years time (yes houston puts off just as much of a display at new years as at 4th of july) so I was going to stay in the house with her, but it didn't fase her at all, then when I took her out to pee she stood and just stared at them. I'm thinking of taking her with me this year to watch them being that they don't bother her and she actully seemed to enjoy them.

lezzpezz
June 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM
No, not all dogs react to the sounds. I have 2 other dogs that are totally disinterested and unaffected. Rosie, however, is so petrified that she needs to be sedated for her own safety. She is one of the "thru the plate glass window" types, and has destroyed our doorframe, carpeting and several windows trying to escape when fireworks sound or if there is a thunderstorm looming. We are also expecting a looloo of a storm today, so she should be a total wreck by the end of the day, not to mention the weekend, (Canada Day tomorrow and fireworks all weekend :sad: ).

Every year, I have to work thru the desensitisation process for thunderstorms with her and by the end of summer, she is pretty relaxed and can handle storms much better, without the aid of meds. But fireworks are another story. There is no consoling her, and like I said, for her own safety, we do give her valium on occasion. We never go to see the fireworks anymore; instead we stay home with her to keep an eye on her. We also don't baby her, but more or less ignore her so she hopefully learns that it's okay and we are not feeding her fear. We only use the meds when she is entering extreme distressed state and we fear that she will have an accompanying seizure, as she is also epileptic. It just gets better, eh? Happy Canada Day! :ca:

Melinda
June 30th, 2005, 02:53 PM
awwww that is so sad, you wonder whats going through their minds, what they think it is.

Roxy's_MA
June 30th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Good information, I probably would have taken my dog down to the fireworks tommorow night, without even considering the noise as a factor. Thanks :)

lezzpezz
June 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I can tell ya what is going thru their minds....RUN AS FAST AND FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN!!! ESCAPE AT ALL COSTS!! Just watching Rosie try to dig her way out of the doors and rugs and even jumping thru windows, it becomes fairly clear that she needs to get the hell outta Dodge and find a quiet safe place, anywhere where there is no fireworks (or thunder). Some dogs have been known to run for miles and miles until they literally drop from exhaustion and dehydration. So sad to see the fear, when in actuality, the safest place is at home. Hence the drugs if necessary to chill her out! :eek:

Melinda
June 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM
that is unreal! I've never heard of that before, and so many dogs are at the city center for the fireworks too. Thats sad , Brina is used to having ear "muffs" on, modified muffs from where hubs works, I put them on her when we go on the motorcycle, she wears doggie goggles and really loves the ride. I'll get a pic or her in her riding gear and post it next week, we're thinking of adding a side care to take her on trips with us.

Angeleyes1437
June 30th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I can tell ya what is going thru their minds....RUN AS FAST AND FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN!!! ESCAPE AT ALL COSTS!! Just watching Rosie try to dig her way out of the doors and rugs and even jumping thru windows, it becomes fairly clear that she needs to get the hell outta Dodge and find a quiet safe place, anywhere where there is no fireworks (or thunder). Some dogs have been known to run for miles and miles until they literally drop from exhaustion and dehydration. So sad to see the fear, when in actuality, the safest place is at home. Hence the drugs if necessary to chill her out! :eek:

Thats so funny because Maximus and I were walking around the block on Monday night while some idiot kids lit a Roman Candle. I screamed to them "Is that going to make noise?" because I couldn't remember... AND because Maximus already has insecurity issues we are working on when he's out on the leash. They replied "No" so I kept walking,... as far away as possible to avoid any possible injury and BOOM BOOM BOOM!!! Lights, flames and noise! Max FLIPPED out... he was barking at it and trying to get to it. I held him tight... but correction was out of the question, I tried but, well... he was scared *****.... I think he wanted to run over to see what it was but I don't think he actually would have.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 1st, 2005, 08:24 PM
Friends of ours took their dog to the fireworks a few years ago. He got spooked ran out on the road and that was the end of him. I really dont know why they brought him there.

Dogastrophe
July 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM
Lucy will generally sleep through a thunderstorm, but go nutty when I let a fart go on the couch! My other two tend to be unaffected with both cases. :crazy:

mona_b
July 1st, 2005, 09:06 PM
I have a bit of a problem with Tron and the fire works.He starts to bark and pace till I tell him it's ok.It's not that he's scared of the noise,it has more to do with him still thinking he's still a working dog.When he hears the "bang",he thinks it's a gun going off.He's been retired for a over a year,but he still hasn't forgotten what he was trained to do.It's in his blood.But I had to get him used to different noises when he was a pup.And this went for Yukon also.Yukon never had a problem with fireworks or thunder either.Some dogs are just not fazed by the noise.

Now my cat Winnie is freaked by thunder.I'm talking about the real loud "crack" of the thunder.She actually came close to hitting the ceiling when there was one big crack of thunder.The fireworks don't seem to bother her or Casper.I wouldn't think it would with Casper since he is deaf.

Melinda
July 2nd, 2005, 11:06 AM
Well we had our fireworks, and 8 week old Brina was with us, the first "noise" startled her, but then she sat up on my lap and watched them...after about the first 10 , she decided to "catch" them *L* she'd jump up with her mouth open, tail wagging and snap at them. I think more people were watching her than watching the display, I must say though, there was a dog behind us somewhere that was crying pitifully.

Daisy's Owner
July 4th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Another suggestion would be to not leave dogs in your vehicle, if it's possible. There were some fireworks at the campground this weekend, and one of the campers put their dog in their car to try and keep him safe. $1200 damage.

The fireworks really bothered Daisy too. Poor little thing. Shaking and panting and trying to get out of the trailer at all costs.

Melinda
July 4th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Just thought I'd show how "patriotic" Brina is, this was on Canada day.

lezzpezz
July 4th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Lucy will generally sleep through a thunderstorm, but go nutty when I let a fart go on the couch! My other two tend to be unaffected with both cases. :crazy:

I tried unsuccessfully to stifle my laughter :p at work when I read this one! Everyone asking "What's fo funny?" I did not share this one!!