Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Staffordshire Bull Terrier with balance problem

jr42
June 30th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Hello...I hope somebody here can give some insight...

We recently rescued a 6mo old staffy pup who has some serious issues with her balance. The vet couldn't find any evidence of an ear infection that would cause a balance problem, and she is otherwise in excellent health, so he has referred us to a neurologist. From what information we could gather, her mother had similar symptoms that disappeared before she was 1yr old.
The only information I can find on the web points to a degenerative disorder in the breed called L2-HGA -- but our little girl doesn't have any other symptom that we can see. We are seeing the neurologist on monday, but I'm posting this here to see if anyone has ever encountered something similar. We are looking for some reassurance that this could be something other than a degenerative disease.

Thanks...Jeff

sammiec
June 30th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Could it be that she is young and just off balance? What has she done for you to assume that she has this defect? When my dog was young she used to fall all over herself while running...

Nice signature line...;)

Wudjah
June 30th, 2005, 09:27 AM
About 10 years ago or so we also took in a pup (am staff) with a similar problem. She was a tiny 6-8 week old and could barely walk without falling over. For lack of a better way to describe her, she looked like a person with cerebral palsy. Our vets could not give us any definite answers on her condition. I think what we finally came to believe was that she was exposed to distemper while in the womb and had a condition called cerebral hyperplasia (seen a lot in kittens). We did not have tests run on her - this was a shelter dog and we had limited funds, so understand that this was merely a guess. Nobody wanted to adopt her so we ended up keeping her on as our shelter dog. She was spayed at 6 months old with no problems and lived happily until 8 months when we were forced to put her down due to unrelated health issues (major, unresolvable skin problems).

Jenny

Shaykeija
July 2nd, 2005, 01:50 AM
Hey Jeff
let me know how you make out with Vanessa. What a cuddle bum his baby is.
Good luck on monday, I'll be thinking about the bunch of you while I am doing the watch repairs. Gaston says good luck also. See you when you get back. Vanja