Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advise please, Im too emotional!

babyrocky1
June 29th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Okay first of all I must apoligise inadvance cause I think this will be a long post! My dog, Rocky is an Am Staff, He is six years old and has never been in a dog fight. He is toy possessive so I do not let him off leash with other dogs around. I generally stay out of the park across the street from my home because alot of people let there dogs loose there, they always give me dirty looks, they make it obvious Im not welcome< you all know the drill. When Rocky meets another large breed male, while he is on leash he can be snarly, but lately I have been walking him with large breed males and it has been going really well. A few days ago, because of the heat, I started going into the park because we were out for only a short time and I wanted to keep him shaded. The first day there was a man there with a dog, off leash, but only one dog in the park, I let Rocky, who is still on leash, sniff the dog they liked each other and continued to play. This same thing happened for a few days in a row. The owner of the dog seemed to me as if he might have been recovering from a stroke or something, Something was definately "off with him. On about the third day, I went to the park and there was a guy with a husky there, as well as the first guy, I have walked Rocky with this dog and things seemed fine so I let Rocky and the Husky play, Rocky on leash and being carefully supervised, all looked well until the Husky started digging at something and they both wanted it, they rah rahed at each other for seconds, I pulled Rocky back and made him sit, and told the owner of the husky to leash his dog, which he immediately did. Both dogs calmed down immediately and it seemed a non-issue, we went about having a normal conversation. We all left shortly later, the two other dog owners left together. There is a guy in our neighborhood who hates pit bulls and has had them banned in his own building, the next day I go into the park and the guy who seems "off' is sitting with the Pit bull hater, the guy who seems off says to me "you keep walking " "keep your dog away from my dog! And he was quite intimidating because he seemed "Nutty" I was shocked and I asked him what he was talking about, my dog had been playing with his dog for three days. He replied that my dog had taken a "chunk out of the other dog the day before." I was obviously shocked and terrified! I knew Rocky hadnt done that, but I wondered, could he have somehow broken skin on the husky and no one realising it til later, although I didnt think so . I was so upset I began running around the neighborhood trying to find the husky, I eventually did find him, he was fine, and the owner didn't know what I was talking about, he said his friend was on heavy anti-depressents and other drugs, and that he would talk to him. He definately clarified the fact with me that no contact took place and it was just "barking" I calmed down a little, but I was still concerned cause all of this drama took place in front of the Pit bull hating A HOle and I really dont want these kind of rumours being spread for obvious reasons! Ive spent the last two days talking to other people to try and get a handle on whts up with all of these characters. Today I hear that those exact words " my dog "taking a chunk out of another dog" had been used months ago describing an event that did not take place! In other words its an old rumour! I now think that the PBULL hating guy actaully got the "nutty guy going! Regardless of how it got started, there is and has been a rumour going around my neighborhood that my dog has taken a "chunk out of another dog" As if something like that wouldnt have made HEADLINES in Ontario. The dog that is rumoured to be missing a chunk has not been described. Because he does not exist! This is not an event that has happened and been blown out of proportion, there has been no event! I am a very emotional person at the best of times, I dont want to escalate the situation or add "fuel to there fire. but I cant just leave it alone so what should I do????? I dont need to tell you guys where Im afraid this might lead! Im thinking of going to the group of them, and to clamly state that I have heard these rumours, I take them very seriously, and simply stating that they are not true. I will be careful to come across as not accusing or even looking for whos spreading the rumours, just stating the truth. What do you guys think?

angie79
June 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM
thats not fair. but as you said the guy seemed off to you,do you think if anything happened his end would hold up considering the actual owner of the husky, didn't notice the the "chunk" was missing.

I guess rummors have always been there about dangerous dogs, but lately the only dogs are pittbulls getting the head lines. just as many people get bitten by other dogs.

If I were you I would get the husky owners info, just in case anything is made out of this such as you said the guy wants to ban them from the building, what next the park,. I would make good friends with the husky owner, play dates make a point .... theres no way they/or you would be friends if your dog took a chunk.

all I can say is protect your self...

and for the mystery dog...... thats what it is.

Lucky Rescue
June 29th, 2005, 07:06 PM
PLEASE, protect your dog and keep him out of dog parks. Pit bulls (or AmStaffs) do not belong in dog parks.

Do not do any explaining. If this person claims a chunk was taken out of his dog and confronts you, ask him to show you the vet report. Do not apologize if your dog didn't do this.

It really doesn't matter who did what. Huskies are not being banned, seized or killed but your dog very well could be. Not worth going to the dog park.

babyrocky1
June 29th, 2005, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=angie79]thats not fair. but as you said the guy seemed off to you,do you think if anything happened his end would hold up considering the actual owner of the husky, didn't notice the the "chunk" was missing.

QUOTE] The owner didn't notice the chunk was missing LOL! I know its a crazy story, but when you have a "pit bull" in Ontario you can't take anything for granted, like, would they even ask for evidence before they come and seize your dog???? Suppose its August 29th and he barks at someones dog, the person already hearing the "chunk" rumour gets scared and reports me. "menacing behavior" And that person may well believe it! I just feel it sets the stage for disaster to have these things out there about him and now I not only have to worry about how people react to his breed but I have no idea who has heard the story ! Im not that worried about the Husky cause as you say, this can easily be refuted, its actually more that I stumbled on the rumour because of the husky, how can you disprove something that doesnt exist. The law is so subjective and heavily leaning twards the perceptions of the authorities. If they percieve the dog to be menacing, well thanks to somebody spreading a rumour, my dog is now percieved to be menacing to these people. Thank you for your advice Angie, I will get the Husky owners actual address and phone number incase he ever moves.

trescanis
June 29th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I echo everything Lucky Rescue said. Stay away from there. Not fair but that's the way you will have to live with your love.

Any chance you could buy a little recorder to tape what you both say when you are speaking with either of these men? As pertaining to the dogs? Protection for you if anybody decides to be a goof.

Trescanis :pawprint:

babyrocky1
June 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM
PLEASE, protect your dog and keep him out of dog parks. Pit bulls (or AmStaffs) do not belong in dog parks.

Do not do any explaining. If this person claims a chunk was taken out of his dog and confronts you, ask him to show you the vet report. Do not apologize if your dog didn't do this.

It really doesn't matter who did what. Huskies are not being banned, seized or killed but your dog very well could be. Not worth going to the dog park. I live at Harbourfront, even walking him on the sidewalk we pass dogs off leash, all the land around the sidewalk is park. I know your right about dog parks, but this is not one, it is a park with dogs in it, as all of the land is around me, I avoid the park when there are groups of dogs. I stay away as much as I can from those people but I have to go outside. I do understand your concern and I Am careful but this has happened anyway. The original rumour started without Me or my dog in the park. this is why Im so upset, how can I control this other than staying indoors!The owner of the dog is not accusing me or my dog of anything, He is stating that it did not happen, which it did not. Im not thinking of apologising, Im thinking of going in without my dog and telling them that I have heard the rumour and that it isnt true, Im hoping that most reasonable people will cut out the "trash talk". Like Angie said there is no dog that has been injured, it is obvious now that nothing happened but if I let it go.. people may think that it could have happened in the past. Every one in the neighborhood knows the husky and sees him a couple of times a day, they don't even have to talk to the owner, they will see for themselves, hes the picture of health! I know your feelings on dog parks Lucky and I do respect that because "pit bulls" are so vulnerable but this is where I llive, my dog was on leash, my dog did not fight, this is just a LIE! I dont think I could have anticiapated that people would make up complete fabrications about my dog or could I have anticipated that this one man would be so "delusional"

babyrocky1
June 29th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I echo everything Lucky Rescue said. Stay away from there. Not fair but that's the way you will have to live with your love.

Any chance you could buy a little recorder to tape what you both say when you are speaking with either of these men? As pertaining to the dogs? Protection for you if anybody decides to be a goof.

Trescanis :pawprint:I think thts illegal but a very good point, witnesses are a good idea. Don't misunderstand me, I have no intentions of talking to either the pit bull hater or the "delusional guy"Im concerned with who they may have spread the original rumour to, there is a big group of them that hang out together and give me dirty looks all the time, I did think it was just because of the Rockys breed but now im not so sure. Im thinking of speaking to that group, about the rumour. Not in a confrontational way. Something like I have heard this rumour, I dont know or care how it started but I take it very seriouosly, my dog has never been in a dog fight, infact he has never harmed another living thing! etc etc. I would appreciate it if any of you have or do hear this rumour that that it stop now. Maybe I should have someone with me and talk to the owner of the Husky again too but he seemed just as floored by the whole thing as I was.

Copper'sMom
June 29th, 2005, 08:48 PM
If I was in your shoes right now, I would fly off the handle! :mad: I'd give them a piece of my mind and maybe ask the guy with the husky to back me up on the story in front of the 2 nutcases. Tell them they have nothing to worry about as Rocky will be wearing a muzzle soon. Personally, I'd call the cops and make a report of what is going on. That way after the ban has come into effect, my dog and my butt is somewhat protected if I were falsely accused.

You've got my number if you need to talk or vent again! :grouphug:

Lizzie
June 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I think thts illegal but a very good point, witnesses are a good idea. Don't misunderstand me, I have no intentions of talking to either the pit bull hater or the "delusional guy"Im concerned with who they may have spread the original rumour to, there is a big group of them that hang out together and give me dirty looks all the time, I did think it was just because of the Rockys breed but now im not so sure. Im thinking of speaking to that group, about the rumour. Not in a confrontational way. Something like I have heard this rumour, I dont know or care how it started but I take it very seriouosly, my dog has never been in a dog fight, infact he has never harmed another living thing! etc etc. I would appreciate it if any of you have or do hear this rumour that that it stop now. Maybe I should have someone with me and talk to the owner of the Husky again too but he seemed just as floored by the whole thing as I was.

So long as you are taking part in the conversation you are entirely fine to go ahead and tape conversations....you cannot legally tape others' conversations though without permission. Taping you and the people talking to you is fine...unless the law has recently changed!

Case in point---Gurmet Grewal taped conversations...he wasn't in trouble for the act of taping at all!!! hehe

anyways...so go ahead and tape all you want...protect your baby!

Spurby
June 30th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't address this rumor at all, thats all it is, and by addressing it you are keeping this "rumor" in the spotlight.. You have to have a thick skin to own this breed.

If this park isn't a legal off-lead park, then you have every right to enjoy it with your leashed dog and not have other off-lead dogs charging you. Perhaps that is why your dog reacted, many dogs are more defensive when on-leash, esp if the other dog isn't. I would put a stop to doing meet and greets with unfamilar dogs, there is no need for your dog to make friends with every dog in the park. I would also call AC to report all these off-lead dogs, this is unfair to people like me who do respect the leash laws, and other people who enjoy the parks and do not want an off lead dog charging them.

Schwinn
June 30th, 2005, 09:58 AM
If you don't want to get into a confrontation (which is probably better than what my dumb butt would do), then I wouldn't even worry about it. Most of the people you have been around would be, "Really. He was fine with my dog". I think the only reason this other person wasn't was because of his issues, and his buddy is going to talk to him. The other people who have problems with it are people who you probably won't run into anyway. I wouldn't worry too much.

Dukieboy
June 30th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I am sorry this has happened to you. Unfortunately I think we can expect more of this and I think the answer right now is to keep our dogs away from other dogs. I know this is not the healthiest thing for them but I think its the only way to keep them safe from nutters right now.

lezzpezz
June 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
seems to me that there have been posts on this site that suggest that circumstances such as these can and should be reported to a specific group so it is on record and helps to build the case against BSL. I thought the association that is interested in tracking such stories is Dog Legislative Council of Canada, (DLCC), but not sure. Does anyone out there recall who is requesting that any incidents of this nature be reported to them?

By reporting this to this group, you have it on record and it will be useful in the fight against BSL. You can also keep it as a record for future use, if you run into troubles. Document everything! Seems to me this is a type of harrassment!

babyrocky1
June 30th, 2005, 01:12 PM
yes I think you are right Lezzerpepper, but do you guys think that this is the kind of thing they mean? This is also one of the reasons I posted here so I would have it in "print" somewhere, while it is fresh in my mind, it actually happened the day Lily won the court case, but I didn't want to post it then, it was nice to have one POSITIVE day on the board. There is alot more stuff about this "pit bull hater" he is the pres of the condo and it is next door to me, He has had pit bullls banned in his condo, now Im wondering what kind of examples he used when presenting this "novel idea, did he merely play Hey look at me IM MICHAEL BRYANT and quote the attorney general or did he use ficticious "Examples from the neighborhood" Like Rocky "taking a chunk out of another dog" They refer to him as the white "pit bull" If so and the more I think about this the more I think this may have happened then there would be minutes taken, well maybe not those folks have no idea how to conduct themselves democratically. I would love to ignore them but I dont think this is going to go away, I may have been lucky that the whole Husky non-incident happened or I would have never have found out about whats been said previously. (i do not go into that park when they are there, I never have, but they are all over the neighborhood so I do run into them every day) we are heavily populated in a small are.) Oh yeah, Ive opened a studio from my residence and all of my clients travel a long way to take classes with me down here, I have been advertising locally and for some reason ive gotten NOTHING this may have nothing to do with it but isn't it against the law to spread untrue rumours, especially if it can result in loss of business to the person on the other end?

Dukieboy
June 30th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I think its goodpooch.com that the reports are on.

babyrocky1
June 30th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I dont see it Dukie Boy but Im on the computer at work and it suggests you have something tht I dont have here to properly navigate thier site. Lots of great info there though, I will start gooing regualrly, thanks for the post.

babyrocky1
June 30th, 2005, 06:36 PM
If you don't want to get into a confrontation (which is probably better than what my dumb butt would do), then I wouldn't even worry about it. .LOL the way Im feeling today I would prefer to have you and Coppers Mom come on over and play "good cop, bad cop" with them but then neither of you would be good cop, so bad cop /bad cop might be even more fun LOL I know, not a good idea for any of us, but I just soo like the thought of it! Thing is about people saying that "rocky is fine with their dog, well thanks to MB Ive been too stressed out to have him play with other dogs for a really long time...people dont really know what hes like because I do keep him away. The gossip has filled that void! So Ive played this both ways, kept him away and tried to allow him to play and Ive gotten in trouble with both ways. The dogs behaved properly...people behaved badly! All I tried to do this week was provide shade for my over -heated pup and when meeting dogs on the way was polite and supervised them properly. This is the extent that our lives and personal freedoms are now compromised and the ban is not even in place yet!

Luvmypit
July 5th, 2005, 05:12 PM
As soon as you wrote that I thought of writing a letter to be posted at the front of the park. Maybe a warning to all pit bull owners. Letting them know of false rumours being spread about your dog that are not true. For pit bull owners to be vigilant and keep there dogs leashed and secured at all times. That your dog was of said to have attacked another dog and when researched there was no attack and both owners agreed there were no confrontations. I would warn agaisnt people who will do anything in there power to get rid of the pit bull including and not limited to harming, threatening and last but not least spreading false attack rumours to persaude the public in to taking action.

Sounds silly but gets rid of the confrontation. Maybe will alert some non pit owners about our plight. Do not include any personal info on you are your dog. Ofocurse make it more simple. Direct it towards other pit owners so no one feels they are being targeted.

It may not be the right avenue but to be honest this is what I would do. I just couldn't not say anything. It would drive me insane.

babyrocky1
July 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Luvmypit, Luckily all the major players in theis little drama, have not been around since that day, maybe theyre all away, Im not going to let it go, but I think that while theyre away, Im going to talk to everyone that I do know that goes there and tell them what happened. Alot of people that live in my building go there and will defend Rocky. Thing is, just to make everything more cmplicated, yesterday I met up with some less than responsible pit owners, who have apparantly moved into the neighborhood, and they apparantly let the dog off leash in the am. Now Im worried that that dog may get into trouble and Rocky will be blamed. So I dont think tht keeping a low profile is a good idea. Im going to be seen with him, and eventually confront the Pit bull hating guy, probably with the Husky guy, I will be polite but very, serious! I dont want to put anything in writing cause then people dont know me or my dog, and if they havent heard the story by now they may assume that something happened to spark it! Im the "pit bull" owner and thanks to MB have no credibility. In person however, I am very honest, and i think that comes through. Im also very responsible and they know how upset I was when the husky story started, and that I immediately ran around the neighborhood to find the dog! That really amused them! Nice people aye? The pit bull hating guy, also hates alot of people because they live in co-ops or City Home, he is also racist. Whe he first moved here he used to break into uncontrollable fits of anger and now hes got that under control, he is now the pres of the condo, and likes to express his hatred in a much more "stab you in the back kind of way! I think that he actually fed the "crazy guy" the info as I was walking into the park. The guy was so confused by his meds and the rumour that he got it all mixed up, much to the delight of condo king guy! And I played into it by becoming so upset, I guess I made his day

Luvmypit
July 6th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Or you could wait till that crazy guy and the pit bull hater is both out in the park. Go get that husky and play like the dickens right in front of them.

Then smile and wave.

That way you are not giving him the pleasure of you getting worked up but will personally make him look like a liar if the said dog that was attacked is still playing with the dog that apparently attacked him....

Its just so fraustrating and every story i hear I feel like I am right there living it with you. I hope it works out. You did nothing wrong so don't let him bug you too much.
I would also suggest that you talk to the other pit owners warning them about some pit bull haters in the neighbourhood that will call animal control on anything you do that is not permitted like letting your dog off leash. That is if they look like the type that care. We all of seen 'those' pit bull owners that aren't in in for the love of the dog.

babyrocky1
July 6th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks again for the kind words Luvmypit, it helps to know there are people on our side :) Thre are not very many pit bulls in our neighborhood, One just moved out, one is dog aggressive, one is great and lives with a chihuhua, and the other is the one I met yesterday, newcomer, doesnt look like the owners are good news. (Ive already told them about the guy and will continue to tell anyone that will listen) Thats why Rocky gets all the urban myths thrown at him! Not many targets and like I said I do stay away so I don't know whats going on with that particular group of people. Knowing myself, I will probably just react spontaneously when I do see them, but I talked to the owner of the husky just before I left for work tonight and he volunteered to come with me and set the record straight! Anyway, I generally take Rocky to the "secret fenced yard" Ive mentioned before, he plays Kong there and loves it, we also do play dates there, and Im the only one in the neighborhood that has permission to use it HAHA Those rotten people dont even know about it, the only reason I didn't take him there on those particular days is because it was so hot and he really suffers with the heat, he just lies down and refuses to move LOL And Spurby it is an ON LEASH park but they don't enforce it. The other neighbors, dogless, have complained like crazy but apparantly there is no staff to enforce it. I guess cause the "pit bulls" arent off leash no one from AC bothers to come! The new one could change all of that quickly though and I dont want to be around for it thats for sure.LOL

babyrocky1
July 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for everyones advice, last week i ran into the Condo King, pit bull hating, rumour mongering, guy and I had a "lucky break" it was really hot so I was just to uncomfortable to get myself all worked up, I calmly tied Rocky to a tree in the shade, close but not too close. I walked up to him and the woman who was there the first day, and I told them very calmly but with my very best ALPHA stare, directed to the PBhater, that some clarification was in order, I knew about rumours going around about Rocky "taking a chunk out of another dog" and that I took these kinds of things very seriously, I told them that Rocky has lived in the neighborhood for six yrs. and has NEVER harmed another living being....PB hater tried to interup me and tell him I "was giving him attitude" I kept right on, didnt raise my voice and Ihave a very soft voice, didn't loose my temper, didnt loose the ALPHA stare , dont even know if I blinked,... I said, Im not accusing anyone or giving anyone attitude I am simply giving you facts...."I keep my dog away from your dogs, not because he is agressive but because you make it obvious you are uncomfortable with his breed, I respect your fears{choke choke} and I keep him away, but dont inerput that as him being agresive, I will be talking to other dog owners and expressing these same concerns but I cant stress to you enough how seeriously I take these rumours... I went on like that for a while.. and they stopped interupting.. Anyway now I feel like I can walk by all of them with my head held high, maybe even a very small smirk! Normally I would be so upset I would be tripping and stumbling all over my words and fighting back the tears, but Hey I had a good moment ;) Thanks again everyone for all your support....I felt you all with me when I did it :) :highfive:

Copper'sMom
July 22nd, 2005, 02:15 PM
He should have got a kick in the butt! LOL Good job keeping it together babyrocky! Hopefull you feel much better and a little relieved(sp?? :( ) now!

StaceyB
July 22nd, 2005, 02:36 PM
You will probably not change the mind of the pitt hater but you may want to talk to this other guy when the hater is not around. You can ease his mind as to the behaviour of your dog and if he is up to it you may also be able to find out exactly what the hater had said to him. The hater is probably the one starting the rumours.

poodletalk
July 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Good for you! That is exactly what I did when they accused me and my dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babyrocky1
July 22nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Your right Stacy B on both comments, the guy who originally said the things to me about the Husky has been spoken to by the Huskys owner and understands he screwed up but he does seem to have some problems either mentally or physically and is on heavy meds, so I would prefer not to talk to him...I dont know what to expect. I know I cant change the mind of the pb hater,he has had them banned in his condo....my intention was to make him understand that I would not be putting up with slanderous remarks about MY dog. I was careful not to accuse him of doing that, but, I think he got the message....this is what makes me soooo happy! I was worried about further inflaming the situation, but I think I diid it in such a way, like saying I would be talking to all the dog owners, not singling him out, but I really think tht he knows I know what he did. I guess the point really is that when this all started I felt like I was veing victimized and now I feel like Ive set it straight ...thats my hope anyway.

babyrocky1
July 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks Poodle talk your advice helped alot ;)

StaceyB
July 22nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
I hope you notice a positive change

babyrocky1
July 22nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
I already have, in me ;)

Schwinn
July 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
I already have, in me ;)

Well, then, you've won! :)

babyrocky1
July 22nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Well, then, you've won! :)Thanks Schwinn...I hope to keep my positive attitude...now on to Michael Bryant :) BTW your earlier suggestions would have been lots of fun too! LOL