Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training multiple dogs

SarahLynn123
June 29th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I have 3 dogs a 7 year old cockerspaniel, 8 year old German Shephard, and a 3 year old Pomeranian. They are all very different sizes, and attention spans. There is only myself and my boyfriend in the house.

How do we go about training them?

When we go for walks my bf takes the spaniel and shephard because they both walk on a loose leash and I take the Pom. We just meet them at home because Im usually just walk in circles. But at home with the post drill and teaching new tricks what do we do? They all want to be part of the action but they all are at such different levels that its impossible to teach them all at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sarah

tenderfoot
June 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
We have five dogs and often have this issue. When you want to work just one dog in the house everyone else wants to join in the fun. That's where the 'out' drill comes in handy. Go into a room and have all of the dogs stay out. Then invite the one dog that you want to work into the room and keep the others out (this could take practice at first). This way everyone is working - just at different things.
When you are done with the first dog you could have it go out and invite a different dog in and just do a couple of things with it, and then do the third dog. This keeps everyones attention and gets everyone working - so everyone benefits.
It is okay that you walk dogs seperately right now. Do that until you are not doing so many circles with the Pom and her manners are better. Then she has earned walking with the big boys.

Beaglemom
June 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Oops, I had originally posted at the same time that Tenderfoot was posting. Just to add, I found that teaching my dog the "watch me" command really helped in getting her to focus on me and not other dogs or people in the area.

SarahLynn123
June 29th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Great! I never thought of using the out command. We will have to work on that first!!!! I was worried I would have to lock 2 outside and they would feel left out and all that. This will work much better.

I will work on the watch me command as well with the Pom, thats a great idea! I was walking back and forth to get him to watch me and pay attention, he would probably do alot better if I associtated a word with it.

Thanks for all the tips!

Sarah

Beaglemom
June 29th, 2005, 12:41 PM
To teach the "watch me" command I actually sat Misty down in front of me. I had a treat in my hand close to my cheek and said Misty watch me. As soon as she made eye contact with me, I gave her the treat. Gradually I moved the treat further away from me until it was just by my side and then I gradually stopped using the treat method. We worked on this until she associated watch me with eye contact and focusing on me.

SarahLynn123
June 29th, 2005, 01:27 PM
To teach the "watch me" command I actually sat Misty down in front of me. I had a treat in my hand close to my cheek and said Misty watch me. As soon as she made eye contact with me, I gave her the treat. Gradually I moved the treat further away from me until it was just by my side and then I gradually stopped using the treat method. We worked on this until she associated watch me with eye contact and focusing on me.

Thanks! I was trying to think of how I would teach that! Wolf (the Pom) just thrives on attention so I may even be-able to pull it off without the treat! I will try and see.
Thanks!
Sarah

tenderfoot
June 29th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Working the 'out' drill will naturally create the 'check in' or 'look' you are seeking. It would be best if she looked to you out of respect and love not because there is food involved. You are getting the same result but from realtionship not bribery.