Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beneficial Bacteria???

DaniDunn
June 28th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I found something at Petco today called Bene-Bac; it is tubes of "beneficial bacterial" (Lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillis plantarum, enterococcus faecium, and lactobacillus casei). I know at least the first bacteria listed is the same thing in active yogurt and that is what we give our hounds if they develop a yeast infection in their ears. I wrote about Baylee's illness on another thread (vomitting, won't eat, etc.) The vet wants me to give her yogurt, now I am not sure if the yogurt is more to coat her stomach, or if it is because of the active bacteria. My question is this, are these bacteria good to help destroy any infection? Are these tubes of bacteria something you recommend we give to Baylee? Of course I will call my vet first thing in the morning, before I give her anything - I just wanted to run it by you guys.

Thanks
Dani

raingirl
June 28th, 2005, 10:30 PM
yes, the yogurt is for the active bacteria in it, not to coat the stomach (although calcium does nutrilize stomach acid...so it can have a soothing effect). THe active bacteria won't help the infection, but when antibiotics are given, the kill both GOOD and BAD bacteria, so by giving the yogurt or capsules of active bacteria, you are bringing the body back into it's natural balance of good and bad bacteria.

I hope that helps!

Not all people do well on the yogurt, but do better on capsules. I'm sure it's the same for a dog. ONe might work better than the other. If you are getting yogurt, the best canadian brand of yogurt with active bacteria was rated to be Astro. You can get 0% (fat free) plain yogurt in 1L containers. It's actually good to feed a few tsps a day even if there is no infection. It helps with digestion and is good for your dog.

DaniDunn
June 28th, 2005, 10:53 PM
That all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Luba
June 29th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Just plain yogurt will do the same thing :D

Prin
June 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Along with replenishing the good that are killed with antibiotics, good bacteria can help an infection by competing for resources with the bad bacteria. There is always a bunch of good and bacteria on every surface of an animal's body, and when something destabilizes the animal, the bad bacteria that are at an advantage, take over. Overwhelming them with good bacteria can help lower their food intake, consequently lowering their reproductive rate.

I'd stick with plain yogurt rather than a supplement. It should be easier for the doggy to digest. :)

ANBshilling
July 2nd, 2005, 09:54 AM
"It's actually good to feed a few tsps a day even if there is no infection. It helps with digestion and is good for your dog."[/QUOTE]

How much yogurt is ok daily for a 20lb 7mt old pup? Instead of giving him a few tsp a day, would it be alright to give the full amount as a yummy treat in the morning?

CyberKitten
July 3rd, 2005, 11:56 PM
The best use for this is not so much daily but whe you are taking an atibiotic. There is a great article on this written by a Nova Scotia teenager that we printed in the Canadian Family Phsyician. :)

Luba
July 3rd, 2005, 11:58 PM
I have to correct you CyberKitten probiotics are beneficial for daily intake and only prove to help MOREso during treatment of antibiotics.

Probiotics combat any number of bacteria living in the large and small intestine, not limited to yeast production.

ANBshilling
July 5th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I have to correct you CyberKitten probiotics are beneficial for daily intake and only prove to help MOREso during treatment of antibiotics.

Probiotics combat any number of bacteria living in the large and small intestine, not limited to yeast production.

How much is ok daily?

ANBshilling
July 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Anyone? :)

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Well, a doggy expert I know said 1 pill of the kind you buy that are in the fridge, but I would ask a vet to be sure. I haven't used them yet.

CyberKitten
July 9th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I have Acidopphilus meds here (and I bet I spelled it wrong but it out in the kitchen) - one a day is usually fine. It should say on the container?? But I'd go with one a day. I also think yogurt accomplished the same thing. My bunny ate yogurt like crazy - loved the stuff so it was great when her had digestive probs. Easy to get the good bacteria back I mean. YY is not that keen about yogurt and Siamese are lactose intolerant soooo....