Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heart Murmur - 10 year old dog

Jazz&Cricket
June 28th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I took Zachary in for his rabies shot today. As usual, he gets an examination. He had been having some coughing trouble last fall which was diagnosed as bronchitis. Today, the other vet, in the same office, tells me he has a heart murmur. When he had his bout with pancreatitis, the vet also said he had a heart murmur that may have been brought on by the attack. Anyway, I have an x-ray scheduled for 2 weeks from now. How have others dealt with a dog that has a heart condition such as this? I understand that there are medications, but do you restrict exercise? This little guy loves to take his walks and loves to run around in our hayfields (under strict supervision, of course!) and now that the 'new' foundling is staying, he has a buddy his size to play with!

Luba
June 28th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Well all I can say is my westie had a heart murmur his entire life and lived to 16 it wasn't his heart that killed him :D

Copper'sMom
June 28th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I have a senior cat with a mumur and no problems!

When I first got Copper, he was a wee pup. His very first vet appt. the vet told me he had a murmur and it was very serious :( . She told me he probably wouldn't live to be more than 2 or 3 years old! I was devastated. She told me I would have to keep him calm, restrict exercise and avoid stessful situations! Ya right, he's a puppy!

Anyway he's 4 years old now and doing great! He must have outgrown it because the vet cannot hear it anymore. I have her check his heart everytime we are at the vet- even if it's only for a nail trim!

Most mumurs, from what I understand are NOT life threatening. It's aslo common in older pets too. I hope you'll get some definite answers at your next appt. :grouphug:

levimh
June 28th, 2005, 11:02 PM
When I was younger, my Uncle had an English Springer Spaniel. Cute, sweet and lovable he was. They found out when he was a puppy that he had a murmur. However, they didn't expect him to live a whole while, but my uncle wanted him anyway. He lived to be about 3 or 4 (too long ago, can't remember) years old, when - I believe - he just passed away in his sleep. He was walked normally, fed normally, etc.

He had an extra problem though - he had a hole in his heart. I'm guessing they did surgery (and it did nothing) or they couldn't do surgery, because he had this hole, his whole life.

Beaglemom
June 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Our cockapoo will be 14 this November. Two and half years ago he was diagnosed with a heart problem. He has a very bad heart murmur. The vet didn't think he would live more than a few months, if that. He has been on medication since then and doing fine. He still enjoys life and loves his trips to the cottage every weekend. He is not allowed to go for very long walks. We do monitor his activity very carefully so he doesn't over exert himself and put too much strain on his heart.

glasslass
June 29th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Den-Den3 was diagnosed with a heart murmur at 15. On medication, he lived to 18, a long, happy life. He had congestive heart failure (enlarged heart) which the vet said goes along with the heart murmur (leaky valve). He took 2 pills daily, a diuretic and I can't remember what the other one was called.

Beaglemom
June 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Glasslass, could the other have been fortekor? Our dog is on lasix, fortekor and one other diuretec which I can't pronouce or spell.

glasslass
June 29th, 2005, 12:21 PM
No, that doesn't sound familiar. It's been 8 years . . . If I remember right, it was something that helped relieve the sensation of needing to cough which was caused by the enlarged heart crowding the lungs. The diuretic was to help shrink the heart.

Jazz&Cricket
June 29th, 2005, 09:02 PM
thanks! I have pet insurance so I'm hoping it will cover some of the costs of his medications, if necessary. The vet gave me some signs to watch for such as his tongue being bluish after exercising, so I'm watching for that. According to the vet, Zachary shouldn't have survived the pancreatitis attack but he did so I'm hoping that with a bit of meds and ALOT of TLC, he'll live a long and happy life. He really likes the hayfields after they are cut...seems he can find all the groundhog holes :D