Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pregnant cat HELP!

Jamgirl
June 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Hi I have a cat I have taken in, I had cats as a child and growing up that have had litters, nothing new there. However, I spotted all the signs yesterday that labour was coming. We have a busy house hold and Twiggy(momma) has had one kitten, no magor problems and now all has stopped. no contractions,nothing. I looked up a great deal of infomation regarding cats being stressed and holding out. Has anyone else ever gone threw this? How long should I wait, it's been 12 hours or so now...
I did notice that she has moved the kitten, she found a new nesting area, and then moved the little one shortly after. This am she also started vomiting again, which she did yesterday before it all began. Is it possible that she is starting from scratch? This is not my cat, and I have no idea of her back ground. Her owner is between houses and I offered to take her in untill he got moved(Friday)she just couldn't wait!! well, maybe she is now....
anything anyone has to say will be helpful......THANKS

sammiec
June 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM
This cat needs to see a vet ASAP. A kitten could be lodged in the birth cannal and she is unable to birth them on her own. She could require a Csection... and none of us here are vets. Please, for her well being, take her to the vet.

Beaglemom
June 28th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I agree, please call your vet. Momma cat should be seen asap.

Lucky Rescue
June 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM
It's not impossible for a cat to have only kitten, but it's unusual.

12 hours is way too long to wait, especially if she is vomiting. As has been said - vet ASAP.

Jamgirl
June 28th, 2005, 03:15 PM
2,3,and 4 came about an hour after I posted the original message, thank you all for your input......everyone is doing just fine, I think that between being new here and not fond of the noise that a 4 and 2 year old can make she put things off untill she found jst the right spot. the three newest ones are eating, dry, and happy. Momma has stopped vomiting, it was only a getting ready to go into labour thing I am sure. She has a full belly now though, placentas and all.... :yuck: I have not had a chance as I do not want to interfere too much, to see what is what sex wise, but they are cute as anything 2 black and white and 2 black and grey

Thanks again :queen: the queen thatnks you for your thoughts as well.

Beaglemom
June 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Jamgirl, I'm happy to hear that the new little family is doing well. Twiggy and her kittens should all be seen by a vet soon. The vet can confirm that all kittens have been born and that the new mommy and her kittens are healthy and doing well.

sammiec
June 28th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Congratulations. I hope everything turns out just fine. I totally agree with Beaglemom and she and babies should see the vet! And we should see pictures... ;)

Jamgirl
June 28th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Everyone is nestled in for the night, I did check on them all and get a few pictures. I attached one here, hopefully I will get a few better shots over the next few days......

Lucky Rescue
June 29th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Glad to see mamma and babies doing well. Was she pregnant when you took her in?

Just be very careful, as she can get pregnant while still nursing, so make sure she cannot get out and get her spayed as soon as her milk dries up!

Jamgirl
June 29th, 2005, 12:25 PM
She has only been here for 2 weeks, she is not mine her owner is moving to a new house on the 1st, but can't have here where he is staying right now. I offered to take her in, he was unsure of how long it had been since she was in season, so I had no idea, (till I saw her) how far she was.

I knew we would be cutting it close with the dates.....I have offered to extend her stay untill the kittens are a bit older, my cat has her nose a bit out of joint, but she comes in to eat then goes out again. (No kittens for her she got fixed at 6 months or so..)

As long as Twiggy is here she won't be let out, I hope that she gets fixed right away, but I have no choice there.....I know the last two kittens gave her a hard time coming out. If it were up to me, she would have been fixed and no babbies, but gosh they are sooooo sweet! :angel: little angels....

Lucky Rescue
June 29th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I don't know your relationship with this cat's owner, but if he/she wants to continue being so irresponsible, you could have her spayed and charge for it as part of your "boarding fee."

Where are you located? If it's near Montreal, we could try and help you get the kittens and momma adopted to responsible homes.:)

Jamgirl
June 30th, 2005, 01:33 AM
It is my Brother in-law, yes he is an irresponsible twit, but I know that the money will not come back if I go and get it done, as it sits she is not leaving here untill he has the appointment made. He is only 20 and well, should not have a cat. So by being nice "for the cats and kittens" sake I said she should stay with me. Now there are kittens and I don't think they will get proper care soo untill they are ready to gothey will stay I will find good homes for them, and from there, we shall see.

I don't want to make enemies, but for the cats/kittens sake I am stepping in. All the kittens will be vet checked and first shots/wormed and all the rest, at my cost. I just can't do it all.... . I realize pets are for life and you have to care for them the very best you can and give them what they need, so that they can sustain a good long healthy life.

I on the other hand have a cat, 2 children, a few fish, a bird and a horse, I think I have enough calling me. What I have I take care of, and at this time I am trying to take care of his mistakes as well....There is no way she will get preggers again, and if that was to be the case I then would have to step in, because it will be while she was in my care, I would get her fixed and the pregnacy teminated, there are enough cats in the world...but as it sits, I can't afford the financial burden of it...
Cat for ransom one vet visit and she'll be returned...sounds stupid I'm sure, but I'm not sure what else to do...any idea's?

It's not like I can tell him he can or can't have a pet, but I am telling him he needs to take proper/better care of her.

Jamgirl
June 30th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Sorry , I forgot to say, I am in BC so not so close, thanks very much for the thought though, I would gladly take you up on it if I were closer.... :D