Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ack! Toby ate a lot of kitty litter!

toby's tracy
June 28th, 2005, 06:32 AM
We are taking care of my boyfriend's mother's cat...it has been quite an adventure so far. The 7 year-old cat wants very little to do with a 4 month old puppy - and lets him know with the strangest of sounds!

It has been a challenge to find a spot for his (cat's) food where Toby can't get to it...we finally put the cat's food and litter in the bathroom. This morning, Toby came out of the bathroom with the front of his muzzle and his whiskers (he has very cute, long whiskers) covered in sand with an "I didn't do anything" expression on his face. Quite a bit of the litter (and god knows what else :yuck: ) was missing from the litter box upon inspection...

...we now have a baby gate at our bathroom door. My question is...is the 'stuff' he already ingested going to hurt the little monkey?

Lucky Rescue
June 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM
If this was clumping litter and you don't know how much he ate, you better get him to the vet asap.

JDG
June 28th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Are you sure the cat ATE the litter?

My Minou likes her poop buried DEEP under the litter, she will dig and dig and dig until she feels the hole is deep enough.

Then she scoots around and inspects the hole.

The she does her thing, buries it, and then sniffs around.

She gets litter on her nose and fur all the time.

I know Minou doesn't eat it because they have been to the vets twice in the past two weeks (shots and s/n) and I am a 'avid poop watcher!'

toby's tracy
June 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM
JDG, it wasn't the cat - the little monkey is our 4 month old puppy, Toby!

Lucky Rescue, he has an apointment this afternoon for a checkup anyways...so yes, we are going to the vet! It was clumping litter. He appears fine, but we'll definitely ask our vet about it later on.

What does clumping litter do?

JDG
June 28th, 2005, 01:09 PM
JDG, it wasn't the cat - the little monkey is our 4 month old puppy, Toby!

My bad! But still, are you sure Toby ate the litter? I think if all he had a sniff about that wouldn't cause too much problem.

Lucky Rescue
June 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Clumping litter is designed to suck all the moisture out of things, and will do it an animal's stomach. Many tiny kittens have died this way by having their insides literally mummified..

Glad you're taking him to the vet!:)

mona_b
June 28th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Clumping litter is designed to suck all the moisture out of things, and will do it an animal's stomach. Many tiny kittens have died this way by having their insides literally mummified.

This is soooo very true.It is not just bad for kittens,but adult cats.Cats love to clean themselves.So once they have finished doing their "buisness" in the litterbox,many will clean themselves.The clumping litter can and will stick to the paws.The cat licks,and the clumping litter is ingested.Think of all the times they go to the bathroom,and the times they clean themselves.And I am talking about licking their paws.I had a great link talink about the toxick clumping litter.But I can't find it...But I found this one...Also,it's not just harmful in cats/kittens,but in dogs.

PLEASE read...This may change the minds of those who use it.I never used it.And after reading about it,I never will.A few friends have chnged to the regular after I informed them about it.

http://www.felinesandfriends.org/content/clumping.htm