Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Miniature Schnauzer - pancreatitis

Jazz&Cricket
June 27th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Zachary (who will be 10 on the 3rd of July) had a terrible bout with pancreatitis last year. We almost lost him. Since then he has been on Medi-cal and is doing fine. He always enjoyed vegetables (carrots, peas, etc) but my vet advised against giving him any raw veggies and if I did, it would have to be very limited. Does anyone else have a dog with pancreatitis? there are so many opinions on foods/raw/dogfood only/etc. etc. I'm just curious.
thanks

Luba
June 27th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Poor puuuuppy

I would steam the veggies and just give a little at a time. There is lots of controversy on pancreatitis high protein low protein no protein...high fibre low fibre blah blah blah!

A homeopathic vet may be able to tell what may be best for your specific dogs enzyme troubles :D

It's an awful thing and unfortunately your dogs breed is very prone to this condition.

angie79
June 28th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Ahh poor baby!!!

I didn't know mini's are prone to pancritis :eek: what can be done to prevent this?

Jazz&Cricket
June 28th, 2005, 12:16 PM
From what I've read so far, fats are REALLY bad so things like processed meats, cheeses, breads, etc. are definite no-no's. Mini's are also prone to diabetes too, which is why I was wondering about vegetables...does it convert to sugar, then up the chances of diabetes too? Zachary doesn't seem to mind eating only the Medi-cal. I was just thinking some variety might be nice.

Luba
June 28th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Boil chicken and remove ALL The fat and skin, rinse it and cut into cubes for him he'd love it and I'm sure it would be fine for him.