Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No dail tone!!

happycats
June 27th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I am so angry :mad: My phone died saturday morning (no dial tone) I called the phone company, and they said the earliest they could be here is Wednesday!!

I was expecting calls, and had many calls to make (my car is for sale) :eek:

To top it all off, the phone company informed me that if they find out it's "my" wiring I will have to pay $150.00 for a service call, and they have no way of knowing if my wiring or their wiring is bad until a service man comes out!!

Any one else, had this problem ??

Sorry for ranting, just a little peed here! :o

raingirl
June 27th, 2005, 07:46 PM
who's your provider? Sprint is bad for that....but so is Bell.

Have you checked outside your house to see if the line came disconnected from the box? Near your metre outside is usually where the phone comes in. Usually a grey or black wire. At least on old houses it is. YOu can buy a tester for the line at radio shack, and if you find your line outside, you can test it to see if it is working. If it is, the problem is in your house and it would be cheaper to hire your own tech to fix it. If it's not working before it comes into your house...then it's the phone companies problem...unless someone accidently cut the line outide with a weedwhacker or something.

happycats
June 27th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I'm with bell, and the funny thing is my PC is working! but if I plug the phine into the same jack I get no dial tone?

THey told me that I should plug a phone into that box outside (the one you mentioned) but there is no jack in there to plug one in. (the house is 26 years old, and the box looks about that old too.

Thanks

raingirl
June 27th, 2005, 08:27 PM
if your PC is working (I assume internet...you have bell highspeed?) then it's either your phone that is broken...or something to do with the filters used with bell high speed.

Have you tried different phones in all the outlets?

happycats
June 27th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I have unplugged all phones and PC, ,and still nothing, I have tried a corded phone (I heard cordless could be the problem).

Yes I'm with sympatico, It just seems funny that the same jack I use for sympatico, gives me no dial tone when I plug the corded phone into it :confused:

Luba
June 27th, 2005, 09:52 PM
OMG don't get me started with Bell and getting cut off! I have stories to tell, they cut me off 4 times all their fault and when I disconnected my internet service they also disconnected my line.

They double charged my phone and credit card for 4 months took 1/2 a year to get the money back.

Unplug ALL of your phones and check all of your cords..if you use sympatico make sure your filters are on every line. Use a phone that you know works good or just borrow a neighbours plug in phone and go around and check ALL of the jacks. IF you have ONE old jack in your house it may be the problem.

I"m sure they told u that already.

My aunt had similar prob to u as well, it took a week to fix it and it was the phone lines out on the road that were the trouble not in her house. Took four techs to figure it out after they tore her walls apart.

happycats
June 27th, 2005, 10:01 PM
OMG tell me about it!! I switched from high speed to regular speed (I have noticed no difference in speed to date) in the begining of March, and they have been screewing up my bill ever since!!

I don't know whats happened to their service, but it really stinks :yuck: > I was seriously considering getting bell expressvu, but NO WAY now, I'm actually thinking of getting rid of them compleletly, ,and switching to Sprint or someone else.

Does anyone know of any GOOD phone/internet companies??

Luba
June 27th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Wait until sept/oct Sprint is getting hi speed :D so I hear
best of luck with ur bill, you have to call them over and over again and wait forever on the stupid line listening to that idiot EMILY, I'd really like to strangle that annoying voice LOL

happycats
June 27th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Wait until sept/oct Sprint is getting hi speed :D so I hear
best of luck with ur bill, you have to call them over and over again and wait forever on the stupid line listening to that idiot EMILY, I'd really like to strangle that annoying voice LOL

OH YEAH EMILY!!! I hate her !! One day I was sooo mad ( I had already called 13 times to fix my bill) I kept using profanity with her, to see if she would understand :D (I know it was wrong,but I was mad :o ) Well she kept telling me to repeat myself, because she did not understand my request!!!

Luba
June 27th, 2005, 10:20 PM
LMFHOOOO thats so funny using profanity on Emily...what a WONDERFUL idea HAHAHAH....U got me thinking now!! :crazy:

happycats
June 27th, 2005, 10:25 PM
LMFHOOOO thats so funny using profanity on Emily...what a WONDERFUL idea HAHAHAH....U got me thinking now!! :crazy:

It was great fun!!! And a great stress relief!!! If it wasn't Emily, it would have been a real person!! I would definately recomend it to anyone!!

Luba
June 27th, 2005, 10:42 PM
And wouldn't you have been shocked if Emily said to you "Hey **** I have feelings too" LOL

happycats
June 27th, 2005, 10:45 PM
And wouldn't you have been shocked if Emily said to you "Hey **** I have feelings too" LOL

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/17.gif You crack me up!!

Safyre
June 27th, 2005, 10:50 PM
k, here is a few things about bell:
If you have wire care protection on your wires, which is 3.75 per month, regardless if the problem is inside or outside, the problem is covered.
If you do not have wire care, which I am assuming you don't, as to they told you the price of the service call, then you have to pay for the service call, a min of 99 on your phone bill.

AS WELL, if you have anybody but a bell technition work on your wires, they are no longer covered for any reason. This causes a HUGE number of complaint calls.

Also, if you cancel your local service with bell, they no longer cover the wires outside of your home. So if the wire from the pole to your home goes, too bad, bell will not fix it, and the local provider you would switch to probably won't cover it either. Bell owns all lines in ontario, if you don't have local service with them, too bad soo sad, they aren't going to fix lines for another provider to use.

I did telemarketing for bell, so this is why I know the above.
I do not like bell, I no longer work for them, and well, they suck @ss in billing department. They are over priced for cell phones and their services basically suck :)

Writing4Fun
June 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM
LOL! I had no idea she had a name! :crazy:

I have all of my eggs in the Bell basket these days. I've tried lots of other providers, and was just not happy with any of them. My phone line was cut once ... when Rogers was working on the box in front of my house. Bell came out to fix it pretty quickly (same day - but that might have been because I told them I was working in a home office and needed my connection for work). My neighbor recently had his phone line cut when the city workers were over repairing the massive sink-hole in his driveway. Bell repaired his line within a day as well. Can't really complain about that. :D

Writing4Fun
June 27th, 2005, 10:59 PM
They are over priced for cell phones and their services basically suck :)
Really? We used to be with Telus, and they were constantly dropping calls, especially in the hills & valleys of Nobleton when hubby is coming to and from work (when he would need his phone the most if his car quit on him). Sure, Bell drops a few calls for us once in a while, but nowhere near as many as with Telus or Rogers. Our plan is pretty good for what we use, price-wise. Basically, it's $40/month for each phone, 150 minutes shared to anywhere in Canada (no long distance), calls between our two phones are free (which was the main reason we got the phones), calls to one pre-selected number is also free (you can use any number, so we used his parents' number, meaning he gets to call them for free, and you can change that number any time), calls to anywhere in Canada (after our 150 minutes) are a flat fee - no long distance. It's actually a small business plan. We bought the phones outright, so there's no contract. Works for us. ;)

Luba
June 27th, 2005, 11:30 PM
If you work for Bell and make a living I'm sure you love them..I myself would like to do w/o them. I think over the years they've gotten arrogant and lack customer service. Such a large giant of a corp like Bell only offers customer service for their phone lines 9-5 mon - fri but has 24 hr internet support....
Let see, dial 911 on your keypad and see if you get help
DUH

BTW Sprint has much longer customer service hours I already asked LMAO

Emily voodoo doll, man if I created one of those I can make a mint on EBay!

Writing4Fun
June 28th, 2005, 12:03 AM
If you work for Bell and make a living I'm sure you love them
No, hon, Safyre worked for Bell and doesn't like them. I don't work for Bell (and never have), but I've gotten better service from them than from Telus or Rogers. I actually don't like any of these major corporations, but Bell has been the lesser of several evils so far, for me anyway. ;)

Angeleyes1437
June 28th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Just a little suggestion to make this time easier for you. Can you ask them to forward your calls to a cell phone, or work phone? Temporarily... just to make sure you get the calls you would otherwise be missing. Or put a message up on your phone number's line that it is temporarily out of service.

Prin
June 28th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I haven't used Bell since I was 16. We had Sprint for long distance and I had budgeted my money to call my friend in India, and Bell stole the call and charged DOUBLE. The bill was $80 and my dad FREAKED. Sprint said it wasn't the first time Bell stole an expensive call from them, and were totally on my side, while Bell contacted their "fraud department" claiming that they were right and I was wrong. Right away they went with the fraud. So nobody in my family has had Bell if they didn't have to.

Now, after being a loyal Sprint customer for many years, I got fed up with the fine print and service charges on top of service charges, so I went with Videotron. No phone wires. Cable comes in the house, into a modem and the modem plugs into a jack and voila! The modem has batteries that last supposedly 2 days if the power goes out. And there are no hidden fees. :)

Safyre
June 28th, 2005, 03:01 AM
I have a better plan with rogers than I could get with Bell, for what my needs are.
Bell told us to push phones that they knew were not user friendly, and told s to tell custoers that they were the best phone we had.
Every time I have talked to bell, they cannot match my rogers plans cost, with no contract (or even with contract).
As for dropped calls, it really depends on your area. There are areas that will drop ALL users, as there are no towers ... then there are reas that are better for each different carrier.
I just feel that bell messed up billing to easily, they don't proved enough customer service and when you call for customer service, tis really annoying to have them try to sell more to you.
And yes Luba, i WORKED for them, and HATE them. I know the ***** they pull.

Melinda
June 28th, 2005, 07:56 AM
We have Bell in Cornwall also, in fact, they are the only phone service so there is no choice, last year we had the same problem, no dial tone, mind you, I don't use them for my internet, anyways, turned out the problem was inside my home, but the guy(s) that came 3 days in a row to repair it, doctored the bills so that it showed it was an outside problem, hence, the company paid for my repairs, the men do not agree with us having to pay for inside service, so they tend to "look" the other way.

Rita
June 28th, 2005, 08:08 AM
We currently have Bell for house phone only ... everything else (cell phones, highspeed internet, digital cable) is with Rogers. We tried Sympatico but the stupid little dohickies that you have to put on every phone line screwed up our call display :evil: Also, Bell customer service was absolutely useless when we tried to get help setting up the Sympatico.

chico2
June 28th, 2005, 08:59 AM
We have Bell for our in-home phones and so far no problem,but Cogeco,our cable and Internet-provider is offering phone-service and we are considering it...anyone with any Info???They offer free longdistance in North America,which would be great!!

Stacey1
June 28th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I have a question about the Bell Small Business Plan. I opened a plan in Oct 2003
you are allowed up to 5 phones on it. It's alot like Writing4fun said her plan was.
I bought 2 phones when I opened the plan in 2003, at that time I signed a 2 yr contract and was told I could ass the other phones at any time.
It was suppose to be $40.00 a month per phone. We got 2 other phones put on in Nov 2003, and all the sudden the bills jump up to $60 - $70 bucks a month. In Nov 2004 I talked to bell and suspended 2 of the phones. I was told it would be $7 a month to keep the phone suspended, so that's what I did.
Now the phones are $15 a month and Bell is trying to say when I talked to them in Nov and asked for the changes to the cell phones I automatically got a new contract for another year. So now I have a contract until 2006 instead of 2005.
I was not told there was a new contract when I talked to them in Nov 2004.
Can Bell just decide to tack on time to a already existing contract? :mad:

happycats
June 28th, 2005, 10:44 AM
k, here is a few things about bell:
If you have wire care protection on your wires, which is 3.75 per month, regardless if the problem is inside or outside, the problem is covered.
If you do not have wire care, which I am assuming you don't, as to they told you the price of the service call, then you have to pay for the service call, a min of 99 on your phone bill.

It is now $7.00 plus applicable taxes!! And I didn't even know about it until I called about this problem.

I did telemarketing for bell, so this is why I know the above.
I do not like bell, I no longer work for them, and well, they suck @ss in billing department. They are over priced for cell phones and their services basically suck :)
I think they suck too, I have had nothing but problems since March, since trying to switch my internet from high to regular!!!

It is just so frustrating because I have kept track of all the calls I have made to correct the internet problem. To date I have made 17 calls :eek: , spoke with that horrid Emily 17 times !! and have been told 17 different things :confused: I'm about ready to switch to a new provider, as Bell service has gone downhill fast!!

Stacey1
June 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I have phone AND wire care on my line. The cost for both is $7.00 a month, are you sure you weren't quoted for both of them. Wire care should only be around $4 a month. :)

Luba
June 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM
That is such a scam scam scam

lilith_rizel
June 28th, 2005, 12:38 PM
James had Sprint for internet, and he is ALWAYS getting disconnected, we were talking this morning, and it went out, for 15 minutes. Happens everyday for us. At home we have comcast. It works great, and we haven't had any issues at all, and have been using for over a year.

As far as phone companies, we use vonage. They are cable too, and you get unlimited long distance calls to any where in the US and Canada for under $30 a month. We are satisfied with both......

sammiec
June 28th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I've been a Sprint customer for 5 years now and I have no complaints. There customer service is slow, but it works and they don't transfer you 6 times to repeat your story to another idiot that doesn't understand. They have an anytime unlimited package for calling within North America for 19.95 a month. I HATE having to watch the clock and wait for 6:00 to come...I haven't seen it or heard about it, but my dad told me that Sprint now offers free long distance between Sprint users!
(Luba, you'd better change phone companies now that I am long distance!! LMAO)

With Bell I had constant problems with them recycling phone numbers too frequently and I would get calls for a number of different people all the time. THEN one time I signed up for something in a store (can't remember if it was a video rental or something) but they already had my number on file for someone else. I changed numbers and still had the same trouble. I haven't had any trouble since changing.. Customer service for internet with Bell... please, there isn't any! It's complete BS. I refuse to use any of their services that I don't need to.

Safyre
June 28th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Bell prices as of Right now, June 28th 2005
Phone Care = 3:95
Wire Care = 3.75
Maintenance Bundle (pc/wc) = 5.00

on July 13th the costs are going up.
Phone care and wire Care are both going to 5.00 and therefore, the maint bundle will go to $7.00

I am surprised you did not know about these services ... bell does calls all the time to customers trying to get them to sign up with the services.

They ARE worth it for anyone that has had a problem already and is susceptable to any more problems, otherwise, its more cost efficent to just pay the $99 service fee.

Copper'sMom
June 28th, 2005, 09:00 PM
I myself would like to do w/o them. I think over the years they've gotten arrogant and lack customer service. Such a large giant of a corp like Bell only offers customer service for their phone lines 9-5 mon - fri but has 24 hr internet support....

Well said Luba! I think Bell has just gotten way to big and don't give a hoot about their customers anymore. All they want to do is sell you someting you don't need!
I've tried to cancel a cell phone before and they kept insisting i suspend it and try to pass it on to a family member. I told them I don't know anyone who DOESN'T have a cell phone so therefore I would like to CANCEL the service because I have no one to pass it on to. I had to tell this to 3 different people!! What part of it did they not understand????

We constantly have problems with our phone line when we get alot of rain. We can't receive calls most of the time, the phone rings once you pick it up and it's all static, we can't make outgoing calls, the line is full of static and basically we just can't use the phone! I've called bell a hundred times about this and they say they can't find a problem OR a line outside was split so they put a black box over it to keep the wires dry until the next time it rains and it happens all over again!

As for the internet service, we have high speed at work, but I swear it's not high speed! The connection gets dropped way to often or it's just plain slow!

The service, it just plain sucks. You can't get a straight answer from a human without being on the phone for 20 minutes. They have their stupid website to help out with changes and what not and everytime I go on their to do something, the page comes up PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER. WE ARE EXPERIENCING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES!! Ya, tell me something I don't know!!

OH and Emily, I hate her too! That voodoo doll would be a great idea Luba!

Happycats, I know how you feel!!! :mad:

Writing4Fun
June 28th, 2005, 09:21 PM
That's pretty funny! The way everyone else here feels about Bell is the same way I feel about Rogers! Maybe it's just my neighborhood, but I've never had an issue with Bell's service here, whereas Rogers has been a right pain in the a**. :D Well, diversity is what makes the world go round... ;)

Luba
June 28th, 2005, 09:54 PM
IMO none of the extra services bell offers is of any use. MOST of the trouble I've come across is with exterior lines either above/below ground.

The odd time you may have trouble with an old phone jack or maybe a cord and hey we are not dummies we can replace them ourselves.

Bell is such a scam you pay $10 a month to RENT their modem for high speed, and if you have your own modem you can't use it LMHO!

Oh ya they have no problem doing telemarketing AFTER their regular customer service hours are OVER...say around 6/7/8pm when you're relaxing having supper or watching a movie.

They can't even have a PERSON call you when they're going to disconnect your line they just have an automated telemarketing recording telling you to call bell at a 800 # ya okay right gonna do that...wait around for 1/2 hour till I get someone on the line and they dont' know what you're talking about.

I may just switch to Sprint Sam in September seriously considering it for sure.

I've been disconnected 3x in 2 years because of their (bells) screw ups. Been over-billed both on a cellular and home line....double billed and the list goes on and on...

Not to mention if you have a complaint about your bill..say a charge you didn't do and you call them they say they will have someone 'investigate' it
BUT catch is you never get to speak to that 'someone' or find out the outcome, they just put the charge on your bill whether u like it or not!

NOT KIDDING!

Rogers is just as bad and getting worse. I call them the WalMarts of the world!!

Big greedy ugly companies!! I never shop WalMart anymore even if they are cheaper!

Safyre
June 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM
The odd time you may have trouble with an old phone jack or maybe a cord and hey we are not dummies we can replace them ourselves.

hehe, do that, and bell does not cover your lines at all anymore. Or for anyone in the future moving into your home.
they don't cover work done by anyone but themselves, and if they see you tried to fix a problem by yerself, yer outta luck to have them fix it.

Bell has gotten much too large, HOWEVER, they STILL have one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings. 87% satisfaction, it has gone down a bit, as it used to be over 90% which was the highest.
So, more ppl need to actually complain directly to bell, as they do value their service rating, and have fired many ppl for not treating customers as they should.
I'm not saying that they are great, but it is well known in MY area, and ofcourse, because i did work with them , they they have the best customer service rating.

raingirl
June 29th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I just have a cell phone that works 100% of the time. I don't think I will ever have a land line again! I don't know anyone long distance and there are only about 3 or 4 people who I call or call me. I hate talking on the phone, so I don't use it much.

happycats
July 6th, 2005, 08:54 PM
WOOO HOOO!!!
I'm back!! I finally got a dial tone and my sympatico back.
The repairman, that came to my door told me that the repair people that are on strike are sabotaging peoples lines, other contractors trucks! He told me that "someone" ripped out my line at the main box!! :mad: (only someone with a key to get in could have done it) he said it was the strikers!!
So mystery solved :) and thanks for all the advise ;)