Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does she look like a purebred GSD?

nymph
June 27th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I thought she looks like a GSD and Collie mix, but someone has just informed me that there are long-haired GSD and even white GSD. :eek:

I suspect that this dog is the result of a BYB.

pags
June 27th, 2005, 01:59 PM
She looks like a GSD to me. There are long-haired GSDs and white GSDs and black GSDs.. there's even a GSD that is all 'blond' except for a black muzzle (I think they're technically called 'red' GSDs)... All of these are serious faults from what I understand and they usually can't be shown... but they're still GSDs. Uh -- anybody who actually shows their GSDs please correct me -- I am totally illiterate when it comes to such things. :)

Er wait -- I had to come back in and add something to this cause it sounded really bad.... If my dad were still alive he could tell you more... But before I was born he bred German Shepherds... He used to say that there were too many breeders (this was in the 60s) who were breeding the Shepherds for huge size or for aggression... and he and the people he worked with (they had sort of like a co-op? I'm not sure how this worked but there was a local kennel club and they worked together somehow..) said that their goal was breeding not just for looks but more for a solid temperment. So when I say 'serious faults' -- I'm talking about for showing a dog... It doesn't mean they're bad dogs. Uh.. am I making sense yet?

Rottielover
June 27th, 2005, 02:00 PM
looks like a beautiful GSD to me

Lucky Rescue
June 27th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I vote purebred too. Long haired GSDs cannot be shown in conformation, but they are still pure.

pags
June 27th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Oh - thank you Lucky -- that's what I mean! LOL See how simple that was? :eek:

nymph
June 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM
but I honestly don't know the answer. I'm a bit confused, isn't a purebred must be registered with AKC or CKC? If this dog isn't bred to the breed standard, how can she still be a purebred dog?

White GSD and blond GSD?!

Rottielover
June 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM
ok for better terms, she is a full blooded GSD..... Both parents were GSD

kandy
June 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM
This dog looks alot like a dog I had while a teenager - my parents always said he was a belgium shepard but the pix I've seen of belgium shepards didn't look like him. The only difference I can see between this dog and Ceasar is that Ceasar's snout was a bit wider and shorter. I've never seen another dog that looked that much like Ceasar. I have seen white GSD's though, and pure black ones too (we had one named Sonny), so I would say that he could very easily be pure bred. Gorgeous dog!!

LL1
June 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Purebred.Whites and long coats pop up in litters with registered parents,doesn't mean they did not breed to standard.I know some peeps with long coats.

coat colors http://4gsd.net/colours.html

nymph
June 27th, 2005, 02:30 PM
If long-hair, or the color white is a serious fault, doesn't this mean that the AKC or CKC actually allow dogs that are not bred to the breed standard to be registered as purebred?!

I just find it quite ironic.

Lucky Rescue
June 27th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I'm a bit confused, isn't a purebred must be registered with AKC or CKC? If this dog isn't bred to the breed standard, how can she still be a purebred dog?

They can be registered, just not shown in conformation as long hair is considered a fault.

There are also long haired Rotties who pop up - purebred but unshowable.

nymph
June 27th, 2005, 02:35 PM
LL1: you and I posted at the same time. :D Excellent article about GSD colors and genetics!

Wudjah
June 27th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Funny that luckyrescue mentioned long haired rottweilers...I had never seen one before last week. There is one at the Quinte Humane Society in Belleville that is supposed to be a "single breed" and he has long/wavy hair.
I've also seen a long haired REGISTERED english mastiff.

Jenny

Kariia
June 27th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Purebred, longhaired GSD.

And...White Shepherds are different than regular GSDs-Their bodies are more square, and they have a gentler temperament. They are almost a breed- they breed true...White Shepherd x White Shepherd = White Shepherd, not GSD.

mona_b
June 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM
That is definately a PB Longhaired GSD......BEAUTIFUL..... :D

As for the White Shepherds..They are registered under "GSD"

Breeding a White and a Black will still produce White pups.Breeding a White and a BL/Tan will also produce White pups.

There was a thread on here that we discussed about this.And I had posted some pics.But I do have this bit of info:

How does the white German Shepherd differ from the standard colored German Shepherd? Other than color, the white German Shepherd should be considered identical to the standard colored German Shepherd. Color does not affect the dog's physical structure, personality, temperament or trainability. According to von Stephanitz, the father of the breed, there is no bad color of a German Shepherd Dog.

And this:

Are white German Shepherds AKC (American Kennel Club) or CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) registerable? Yes. If both of the parents (regardless of color) are registered with the AKC or CKC as German Shepherds, then any resulting puppy would be fully registerable as a German Shepherd Dog. While the white dogs can no longer compete in the breed (conformation) ring in AKC or CKC, they are fully eligible to compete in any and all performance events sponsored by either registry. Neither AKC nor CKC restrict registration of a German Shepherd Dog based on its color.

As for the longhaired Rottie,we have a member,Carina who has one.Correct me if I'm wrong,but his name is Cooper.Beautiful dog.

chico2
June 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
WoW,he is beautiful,definetly pure longaired GSD!! Who's dog is it?

shannon1233A
June 27th, 2005, 04:43 PM
WOW, GORGEOUS! There is also a color of coat the CKC registers as Sable. This is Shannon, my dog and she's registered as Sable a mix of tan and black but not as we normally see in large patches, but the best I can explain it is individual hairs? Here's a pic that shows what I mean

pags
June 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM
There is also a color of coat the CKC registers as Sable. This is Shannon, my dog and she's registered as Sable a mix of tan and black but not as we normally see in large patches, but the best I can explain it is individual hairs? Here's a pic that shows what I mean

Nods, shannon! How could I forget! My last two GSDs were sables. Our little girl Mocha changed colors so many times as she was growing up we called her our kaleidescope dog. :) It's where the individual hair shafts are tipped in black.. not solid black... So at maturity they tend to have a more 'washed out' appearance in the saddle, etc. Shannon's beautiful!!

shannon1233A
June 27th, 2005, 05:12 PM
And another one

Writing4Fun
June 27th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Re: the pic that Nymph posted - she looks a lot like Stewart's girl, Gypsie! She's beautiful. :love: Hey, where's GSDDiamond? Her's was a long-haired Shepherd, wasn't it?

dmc123
June 27th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I am glad I kept reading this post, I never heard of a long haired GSD or rottweiler....this site keep educating me.

Beautiful dog, either way, nymph!

Diane

Writing4Fun
June 27th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Here is a previous thread with pics of Stewart's girl. Gypsey (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5857&highlight=stewart) Look familiar? ;)

chico2
June 28th, 2005, 07:43 AM
I was thinking of Gypsey,just could not remember Stewarts name,she is a beautiful GSD!

nymph
June 28th, 2005, 02:55 PM
She just turned one last Sunday. Came across her profile at another website. Her owner can't keep her anymore (owner doesn't want to say why) wants to rehome her. :sad:

toni
June 28th, 2005, 03:27 PM
She looks very much like a long haired shepherd. I'd have to see more picks to see her body better. I have a long hair black one. She has tufts in the ears, along the belly and down the back legs to the tail and tufts in her paws also.
Also regular Shepherds can have a square body or a slanted one. We always pay more and get the working dogs with the squared hips. The ones bred for conformation..it's not good for their hips having them slanted so bad.
While long hair is a fault, they don't charge any less for them. They usually sell them to search and rescue etc. There's actually a waiting list of people that want to purchase long hair b/c they don't always have them, they just happen.

Whatever your dog is she's extremely beautiful and you're lucky to have each other.

mona_b
June 28th, 2005, 09:36 PM
shannon,your baby is just GORGEOUS...... :thumbs up

This breed is VERY close to my heart as I was raised with this breed.I got my first one when I was 17.Cujo was with us for 13 years.Then I got Yukon and Tron.Tron was with me for 18 months.Then he joined my brother for K9 training.He passed with flying colours.I did all his basic training and more.Even in German.Now that was fun...LOL.He got a touch of arthritis,and had to retire.So he came back to be with his Mommy.... :D ...I lost my Yukon in Sept.I still can't get over it.Hubby surprised me with a door mat.The surprise was that he gave a friend of his a pic of Yukon.He airbrushed the pic of Yukon on it.... :(

There is a beautiful Sable in the Unit named Solo.

Ohhh nymph......I really,truely hate hearing things like that...... :sad: :( :mad:

She is a BEAUTIFUL PB Longhaired GSD.

Check out these beauties...... ;)

http://www.airchartertaupo.co.nz/bearzeke/index.html

Lucky Rescue
June 28th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Carina, who posts here off and on, has a recessive-gene long haired Rottie.

Here's a pic of a fluffy Rottie:

mafiaprincess
June 28th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I've even seen a pic of a long daired dalmation.

nymph
June 28th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Mona: yeah it is heart-breaking. I was trying to convince the owner to keep the dog but she is pretty set on giving her up, and she refused to provide me with more info.

Here are more photos of Anna.

nymph
June 28th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Here is another picture

nymph
June 29th, 2005, 12:00 AM
and another one

trescanis
June 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Hi, I asked a friend of mine who is a canine geneticts expert and a GSD fancier about these statements. Below is what I recieved. Thanks Danielle!

Mona_b said "Breeding a White and a Black will still produce White pups.Breeding a White and a BL/Tan will also produce White pups."

If the black (or Black and tan) dog carries a copy of the white gene, approximately 50% of the pups will be white. The other 50% could be anything from sable to black... it depends what color the white shepherd would have been if it was not white.

If the colored dog does not carry white, then 100% of the pups will be colored but all will be carriers for white.

Kariia said" And...White Shepherds are different than regular GSDs-Their bodies are more square, and they have a gentler temperament. They are almost a breed- they breed true...White Shepherd x White Shepherd = White Shepherd, not GSD.

White GSDs are EXACTLY that. WHITE GSDs. The only difference between them and colored GSDs is the lack of pigment in their coats. Some lines are more square (assuming you mean less angulated). The reason for this? They are not acceptable in the AKC show ring, so do not have the selection pressure to produce the exaggerated side gait of the show GSD and therefore the increased angulation. This does not make them another breed. I have a very square colored GSD from Guide Dogs for the Blind... he is not another breed because he has less angulation than a show dog! Many lines of GSDs (most notably the working lines) have less angulation. Many lines have "gentler temperaments" although I would not characterize the whites I have met as having any different a range of temperaments then the colored GSDs I have met.

White x White does in fact = all white. But that is not because they are a different breed, but because white is a recessive characteristic. For the parents to be white, they have to have 2 copies of the gene for white. Since they each only have a white gene to give their offspring, all the offspring will inherit one copy of the white gene from each parent, and have 2 copies themselves, therefore will be white. The same thing happens when you cross 2 LH GSDs - you get all LH GSD pups. Again, this does not make them a different breed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A wealth of knowledge, all understandable. :pawprint: