Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

60 LB Puppy Jumping Up to Kids!

pennynikkel
June 25th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Hi there,

Max is now 4 1/2 months old and is 60 pounds. From the day I first got him, he thought it was fun to pull on clothes and tug. I immediately starting working on leave it, drop it, but honestly, he wasn't great at letting go. I tried the pressure and praise techniques described, but he wasn't fazed whatsover. Usually I would just ignore him and he would let go, realizing it's no fun. Also gave him firm NO's and stomps to get him to stop.

Anyways, that was about a 1 1/2 months ago, and since then, he is 99% not pulling on clothes. EXCEPT, in the last couple of days when I walk him and we pass by people/kids, he goes for them. I'm thinking he is going for their clothing, as I have seen him reach up for man's coat jacket. But today he was mainly insterested in the kids (which are at his level). He isn't really excited (i.e. its not about greeting them), but he reaches for them and I end up pulling the leash, and it ends up looking like he's rearing up at them because I'm pulling on the leash. I really want to stop this now, because 60 pounds and kids don't mix. Unfortunately, I don't have any kids, so he maybe isn't used to them, although I take him out socializing all the time. So he at least sees them and hears them play. It's embarrassing too, and I have only been pulling him back and saying "NO" to him, but I don't think he understands.

Also, I think he was tired during those moments, and perhaps was tired and naughty? Don't want to make excuses, but think it may be a factor. If I watch him carefully on the walk, I can see when his gaze sort of goes to a person, and anticipate what he is thinking, and divert him. Is this all I can do? Or how else can I correct him, as this only happens in public, and nowhere else.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm gonna try to learn how to post a picture of Max, as he really is a great puppy!!

mafiaprincess
June 25th, 2005, 08:41 PM
My dog is only 23 pounds... but jumping is a bad habit. I was using a gentle leader to keep her from pulling, and keeping my girl on such a short leash she had no choice to walk beside me. If she tried to jump she couldn't reach them.. and I pulled her more in to my leg and sternly told her no jump.

shannon1233A
June 26th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I would start with the Sit command and getting Max to focus on you . As you approach kids/people make him sit, hold the leash close to the collar so you have complete contol and can turn his face towards you, and what I've done is hold a piece of rollover in my teeth (that stuff isn't all that bad, lol) say "look at me" then praise as they pass by and he's staring in your face, then reward. I then progressed to just saying "look at me" as we neared people, and Kenzie immediately stares into my face looking for that treat. She must think I ate/swollowed it sometimes, cause she doesn't always get the treat. JMO, but I think that's an important part because she always does it never knowing when she'll get it or not so she's always anticipating. :D