Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rottweiler pain and health questions

Sal24
June 25th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Synopsis of Dog:
*9yr Old Rottweiler
*Diagnosed with Diabetes 1 yr ago and on insulin
*Had recent operation in mouth 6 mo ago, they removed they k9 and few surrounding teeth up into bone. secondary infection occured, appears to have been fixed with doxicyclin
*Recently one of his paws have become super sensitive and hurts. No visible signs of cut or trauma. We have decided to start him on Cephalexin to rule out infection due to diabetes.
*He has recently started to get a buildup in his left Nostril(side of surgery) that when I pull it out every few days it looks like a brownish tar like substance that is fairly hard, maybe a dry rubber cement like consistency.

My 2 questions relate to what you may believe is wrong with his paw. Is there anything other than an infection or a better anti-biotic if it is an infection? What do you also believe is the reason he has the buildup in his nose that blocks the nostril every few days? Thank You

Could anyone also recommend a brand of pain killer that could be prescribed while we treat his paw. its severly effecting his ability to walk. I happen to be in the fortunate position where my father is a doctore and can prescribe for me when my vet is unavailable or only reachable by phone.

I am currently seeing a vet but due to limited funds I can't have as many tests performed as i'd like. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again

Sal

Eleni
June 25th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I hope your dad isnt prescribing human medication to the dog

some human medications are ok for dogs, but some arent at all, and dosages for medicating a dog are usually done by weight.
as for your other questions, has the vet taken an xray of the paw?? maybe he has a fracture in there someplace

im not sure about the other problem your asking about but im sure someone will be able to help ya out there

Eleni

Sal24
June 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM
My vet has been nice enough to relay medication information to me without a payed appointment, so the dog is getting the proper medication and doses. We've taken a, if it wont hurt him lets try it...ie the anti-biotics which only cost $10.00. The theory is, being diabetic he is prone to infection so lets treat the obvious posibility of an irritated paw with no signs of trauma. Also to note, while he does not show near the signs of pain in his other front paw, he is sensitive about it and does not like it to be touched. maybe the start of whats happening in the bad paw? hopefully the anti-biotics will work.

As far as a fracture goes, i really cant imagine how it would be possible. His movement has been limited lately and i've been home a lot...i feel like it would have been more obvious. Would there not also be signs of swelling if it was some sort of fracture? An xray would be beyond the means of what I can currently afford.
While my father is a doctor he's also not one for giving me money. I've spent a ton of $$ on him this year and the well has dried up :(
Thanks for any input

Sal

kandy
June 27th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Has the dog had bloodwork done recently to see if the white cell count is up that would indicate an infection (or something worse)? Was that paw or leg ever hurt in the past? I know that there are certain antibiotics that can cause kidney problems, so I hate to see a pet given antibiotics as a precaution although I suppose that the benefits outweigh the risks in most cases. I ask about the bloodwork and such because my mom had a rotti and it developed bone cancer - started limping one day with no outward sign of injury, etc. She was 9 or 10 I think. Rotties are prone to bone cancer. I hope someone else has other suggestions for you.

Prin
June 28th, 2005, 12:39 AM
There is nothing inside the paw, between the pads? It's not red or irritated? If so, it can be allergies. Otherwise, I'd say you need an x-ray for it.

For the nose, sounds like blood to me. Maybe something is bleeding into his sinuses.

As for pain relief, your vet should be able to answer that one. We're not able to give you doses and pill info without really knowing what is going on with your doggy.

The vet should be able to handle all these questions easily. :)