Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much was your pet?

howie
July 8th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Hi there,

I am curious as to how much you paid for your pet.

I paid $700.00 for my golden retriever from a breeder

Howie

unclefester
July 10th, 2003, 09:28 AM
That seems like a lot to me. Unless you are showing your dog professionally, you should have gone to a shelter.

There are often retrievers and other big dogs there and they are only 100-200. with shots included, AND you save a life.

Unclefester

BrunosMom
July 10th, 2003, 01:32 PM
That's not much at all, it would depend on the dogs bloodlines.

15 year ago I had a show quality doberman that I paid $2,500 for.

If you are looking for a well bred dog, with a health guarantee who has been bred by a professional who makes sure the dog will have no genetic defects such as bad hips etc., then expect to pay more. Of course this always is different depending on the breed.

Or there are always breed rescues, where you can get a great dog who was rescued or found! Those are always the best option unless you are seriously thinking about showing - which most people don't want after spending the first couple grand for a trainer and handler.

Carina
July 17th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Three of my dogs are adult rescues (one a stray I kept, one literally rescued because he was abandoned in an empty back yard chained up, and one from a local shelter for $65.00)

The one I paid money for was $500 (US), a Rottweiler. I bought him from a very good breeder in Colorado at 8 weeks old because I wanted a pup from excellent working lines - he's awesome, but "cheaper" because he's not show quality - he's a long haired Rottweiler. :) This is a disqualifying fault, he has a limited AKC registration. The show prospect pups from that litter were $1500.

Here's his picture at 19 months old; he's filled out some since:
http://community.webshots.com/user/carinamacd

daisymae
July 18th, 2003, 03:03 PM
My dog is a rescued pit bull, for whom I paid an adoption fee. She is the best dog anyone could want!:) All my cats came from the streets, so I have never actually bought a pet.

Second hand pets are great! Oh, and Carina, your Rottie is gorgeous!

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/1047157/1960669/25771090.jpg