Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

k, all you gardeners.....

lilith_rizel
June 24th, 2005, 05:54 PM
what do I do if my leaves on my morning glories are getten eaten? They are getting pretty bad, and it is making my garden look terrible!!!! Please help me save it......

shannon1233A
June 24th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Do you know what's eating them? Snails, squirrels, cats, ants, puppy, aliens? I know a couple of remedys, but depends on the culprit!

Luba
June 24th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Wasps tend to love MG leaves not much you can do that way.
Just make sure your MG vines get lots of water. I'd shy from spraying chemicals on them, not safe for you or anyone else. What you can do is look UNDER the leaves to see if anything is attached to them, if not I'd bet it's wasps.

If something is attached to it you can mix a very diluted spray of a little mild dish detergent and a lot of water and spray the undersides of the leaves with it.

raingirl
June 24th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Could be snails too. THat happens a lot here. If it's snails, put a capful of beer (margarine lids are great too) around the base of the plant, and the yeast attracts the snails, and then they drown. Make sure to change the beer daily.

lilith_rizel
June 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Hey, I can finally get rid of that can of beer my mother in law left here. James and I don't drink beer, we are wine people. We normally have a glass of wine with each meal, so we buy the arbor mist. Really tasty and only $3 a bottle for us..... I don't drink any now that I am expecting again, but that's fine with me.

lilith_rizel
June 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Well, I checked under the leaves of the glories, and nothing. However, when I was walking out the porch door to water the garden I did notice a wasp nest on the over hang. I was scared to death. With my father and sister both being allergic, and I not getting stung by one before I didn't know what to do. The flowers needed to get watered, but I didn't wat to get stung and have to go the the hospital with hubby being gone. But I risked it anyways, and after I watered the garden I knocked the nest off with the hose water as well. If it was somewhere else, I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't even a foot away from the door, and I don't need to have anyone getting stung, when none of us know if we will have reactions to it or not......