Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Australia for a year!

SarahLynn123
June 24th, 2005, 05:58 PM
My little sister and cousin are going travelling through Australia for a year. They are both 19 years old. They will have a backpackers visa which enables them to work jobs no longer then 3 months/job. They will probably starting in Sydney. Does anyone know the best way to find jobs there? The best Hostels to stay in? and any tips for them?

I told them I would see what I could find. Our cousin wants to do a swap program but its upwards of $5000 :eek:

Im so excited for them, but of course terribly worried at the same time.

Thanks
Sarah

angie79
June 24th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I'll talk to a girlfriend of mine at work she just returned from 6 months there, but i think they just went and found hostles there and worked in restaurants,

melanie
June 28th, 2005, 10:09 PM
they willhave heaps of fun. tell them there islots more to aus than sydney...they can travel around most places and get fruit picvking work, grapes, apples tht sort of thing, nice work and a nice way to travel....

we have a system called YHA, youth hostel aus, its for backpackers and its cheap, you can get a discount card to, tell them to log onto most aussie backpacking sites and they will find a link.

they could also rent a share house room, and share it themselves... look in any aussie paper for shared housing, thats really cheap around $50-100 most places...

there is also the WOOFA system, 'willing workers on organic farms' they basicalyl have a system where you can work on a farm for free accomodation and sometimes small pay, tis very cheap...the list goes on

there are heaps of web sites for backpackers looking for work, check out backpakers sites in aus and you will find plenty....

tips--have fun...