Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rights as a tenant

jackieb
June 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM
We have been told that they have to give 24 hours notice for viewings as there selling. we dont have to be out the house with 3 children in this house is enough let alone anyone else
Ive had so many viewings and people looking in one real estate guy turned up and wanted to show someone there and then i asaid no way.

Anyway i had had enough and decided today i would have a rest we d sit down eat tea and dinner in peace no tidy up like luntatics. The real estate guy was really angry

Can i refuse viewings can i ask for nights off etc im being reasonable every other viewing ive accomadated i just needed a break!

Eleni
June 24th, 2005, 10:57 AM
yes as a tenant you are entitled to 24 hours notice of the landlord or anyone affiliated with him entering the property inless its an emergency.

at least here that is the case

Eleni

mrjohndoe
June 24th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Eleni is right. The "Tenant Protection Act" outlines this and other issues.

jackieb
June 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM
but even with 24 hour notice can you refuse them

wjranch
June 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM
You certainly can refuse a showing appointment..... at the time of booking it. If for some reason it's been booked and your schedule has changed for some reason, simply call the Brokerage and tell them. Ask them to re-book for a more convienient time.
The agent who showed up at your door without an appointment has no right to be angry. He should have booked an appointment as he's got the info that the property is tenant occupied. That's poor manners on his part. It is not unheard of for an agent to knock and ask...but, he should not have gotten angry when turned down. Some tenants will allow it, some won't.
Try to be patient and remember you could very well end up still living there with a new owner as your landlord. There are many people investing in income properties these days, not everyone wants to kick out the tenants and live in it themself. :D

Stacey1
June 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
If your landlord gives you 24hrs notice you have to give him access.
Even if your not home they can still access the home.
You don't have to leave the house for a showing, it is sometimes easier to stay out.

jackieb
June 24th, 2005, 01:26 PM
If your landlord gives you 24hrs notice you have to give him access.
Even if your not home they can still access the home.
You don't have to leave the house for a showing, it is sometimes easier to stay out.

They have to arrange the viewing arround my schedule though
I am going to speak to the tenant housing tribunal im moving on the 29th of August to my house horay!

raingirl
June 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM
All the landlord has to do is give you 24 hours notice. If he called you right now (6:46 PM) and said someone is coming by tomorrow at 7:00 PM, you cannot refuse that. As long as the landlord gives you 24 hours notice, he has a right to go in there no matter what.

Sorry.