Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog walked strange today.. drooled in past

MyrottsILove
June 24th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Hi Folks

Just a question to see if anyone else has experienced this... I have a 7 year old female Rottweiler. About 6 months ago, she started drooling for no reason. The drooling would last up to an hour, and would happen once or twice a month. She looked a bit uncomfortable, but would still eat and drink. Now, today after a great walk, she got up from laying down and walked like she had been drinking heavily. She was walking very slanted...drunken like.

I had full blood work done on her in April. She came back with a low thyroid and I have her on the meds for this. The drooling did not stop with the medication, so I am thinking this is not related. I also give her about twice a month, 3 pills of Stilbesterol for leaking urine. She has been on this for about 5 years now. I use this very sparingly and only when she leaks does she get this meds.

I am wondering if the drooling is petit mal siezures...and progressing to more noticable symptoms.

Another large predicament, is that I have moved several thousand miles, and my trusted veterinarian is no longer accessible to me. I must now find another vet.

If anyone has any information regarding these symptoms, please contact me.

Thanks,

Sandy

maddoxies
June 24th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Welcome Sandy.

As I was reading your post, I too was thinking petit mal seizures (but I am no vet).

Where did you move to? Although this board is based in Canada, we have members from all over the world. Maybe someone lives in the same city as you (or used to live in the same city) and can recommend a vet. I moved 350 miles away from my long-time vet as well. I got flat out lucky when I found my vet in the new city. I went to him originally because of his location and stayed because of the care my babies get at the vet office and sister kennels. This vet was voted Vet of the Year 2004 by Pets Magazine, based on feedback from clients about his service and caring beyond the norm :thumbs up Once I got involved in rescue here, I found out that a number of fellow rescuers use him as their personal vet too. Hopefully, someone here can give you a reference for a vet.

Hope your baby feels better soon.

Lucky Rescue
June 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM
This may sound like a silly question, but did you have any x-rays taken of her teeth, jaw and throat? Decayed or broken teeth, abcesses or foreign bodies stuck anywhere can cause a lot of drooling.

kandy
June 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Is this happening all the time? Rotti's are prone to heatexhaustion and one of the symptoms is walking like they are drunk, another is drooling. My mom's rotti was very, very sensitive to temperature - both hot and cold. There are some really good articles out there on canine heat exhaustion/stroke. You can google Canine Heat Stroke if you want to know more, but heat stroke is a life threatening emergency that requires immediate vet care.

Some medications can also increase the sensitivity to temperatures.

MyrottsILove
June 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Thank-you to those that have replied. I may have an answer and will be booking my girl into a vet for bloodwork again.

I will say, that at the first sign of drooling, I had bloodwork done then a complete dental cleaning and exam to rule out the possibility of mouth problems. The drooling continued after. I also forgot to mention the drooling to my vet when I was in with her.

I did find a website that said there is a link between thyroid problems (hypothyroidism) and siezures. Strange that I could not find anything before I posted my request for information to this site. From what I read, the drooling is part of siezuring. So, I guess either the meds are not working, or not high enough dosage for the problem. The only way to tell is to have her blood checked and see what her thyroid is working at AND pray that once we get the thyroid in check the siezures will disappear.

BTW if anyone knows of a good vet in Nanaimo BC, please let me know!!!

Many thanks,
Sandy

Lucky Rescue
June 25th, 2005, 09:19 AM
To find a good vet, you might want to check out this BC pet/rescue board!

Hope your dog will be better.

http://www.brindleweb.com/rescuebb/

JessXx
June 25th, 2005, 08:33 PM
hi, I just want to say that I love rottie's :D
I was thinking the heat may be a factor.
Stress may also have something to do with it.
Is she spayed?

The walking could be pretty serious and I was wondering if
you took her to a vet?
Another thing is possibly she is getting ill w/ some sort of flue.