Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone going to Live 8?

Writing4Fun
June 23rd, 2005, 10:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone managed to get Live 8 tickets. Is anyone planning/hoping to attend?

Prin
June 23rd, 2005, 11:10 PM
I'm too old for concerts... I used to go all the time, but now I can't fathom spending more than $20 for a ticket... ;) Too old, I say.

Safyre
June 23rd, 2005, 11:28 PM
I was hoping to go but unfortunately, 2 clients are due within the next ten days, so I am going no where. :(

CyberKitten
June 24th, 2005, 05:03 AM
No, it's to far and while I admire those artists who take on worthy causes (like this one), the cynic in me wishes some of these guys would actually come and visit those of us who do go away from time to time and are in the trenches. Maybe I am just going thru a bad time of late (lots of post traumatic stress set off by something for some reason - LONG story) and I see these groups with their concerts and people donating money and feeling good about what they are doing. If I just once actually witnessed some of this money going to where it should be, I'd be clapping and cheering them on, But in some of the countries I have been (NOT all, some) with Les Medecins sans Frontieres, we have to fight to get what little we have INTO the country and barter with govt officials so no one steals our equipment (It is as if the army in some cases is running a protection racket). We have never recieved much money from these kinds of activities and while some of it does manage to get to feed people, a percentage of that too goes to "officials" who need their cut before any stuff actually gets into the field.

In Canada, we complain about our govt but while I know we have some crooks up in Ottawa, they have nothing on this tin pot dictators and their henchmen (and yep, they are mostly men!!) in some of the world's poorest countries. The aid organizations are scraping and doing what we can for $$$$$ and people happily pay to see agreat concert but please do not fooled into thinking most of it will actually get to where it should.

Even our org spends more than I'd like to see on fundraising coats, marketing, office space, etc. etc and it is one of the best in terms of that percentage. Some spend 50% just to employ people to market their cause.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. Some money is better than none. I wish Bono or someone would take the AIDS epidemic in Africa and make it a pet cause and pressure the western democracies AND pharmacutical cos to start funding medications there. It was my wish when I blew out my candles on my birthday cake last year and I suspect it will still be needed again, sighhhhh!!

I am sure it will be a great concert tho!! (tho I like the indoor concerts more, lol) Call me a whimp in that regard!

Writing4Fun
June 24th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Prin, Live 8 is FREE!! Unfortunately, the Canadian venue sold out in 20 minutes. You can still win tickets, though!

CK, sounds like you're going through a really rough spell. I know you'll motor through it, though. You're a tough one. ;) As for this particular event, there is no money exchanging hands. The concert is free. It's to raise awareness and maybe pressure the governments into stepping up to the plate. I believe some (not all) of the organizers and artists have visited the places they're trying to help. So, I think you can feel pretty good about this particular event, if not all of the fundraising campaigns out there these days.

I'm a little bummed that Sarah McLaughlan (sp?) is playing the Philly show instead of ours. :(

Now, "free" refers to the original sale of tickets. I noticed on E-Bay, however, that two tickets to the concert in England are fetching upwards of $22,000,000.00!!! :eek: I sincerely hope that's a hoax!

Lizzie
June 24th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I got tickets!! I was ready and waiting at exactly 9:59 to prepare for the battle...and alas, I achieved victory and got my two free tickets!

CyberKitten
June 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Ahhh! I did not know it was free! That's great - and I do think at least it creates awareness. Yep, I have been dealing with post traumatic stress of late - it's not easy but I'll survive! I can but tell myself I am fortunate that is all I have to cope with really!!

chico2
June 24th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Oh no,I am too old for concerts and Barrie is too far away..I am however going to see Clay Aikens at Ontario Place with a friend, an absolute fan of his.I kind of like him too,he's cute..
I agree with CK,the whole world should supply Africa with AIDS -meds,it's a travesty to let this happen when meds are ready and available!

raingirl
June 24th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Sooo...tired...can't even think about a concert right now...

Luba
June 24th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I wasn't able to get tickets, they sold out too fast :(

They're auctioning them off on EBAY now some are going for over 200 bux

Lizzie
June 24th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Ebay is actually shutting down all of the auctions as the tickets were free so it's illegal. Sorry to all the folks to grabbed tickets to make a profit but didn't actually want them...the police have caught on!

I suppose people can hock them on their own to friends, but organized selling is out of the question.

Writing4Fun
June 24th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Oh no,I am too old for concerts and Barrie is too far away..I am however going to see Clay Aikens at Ontario Place with a friend, an absolute fan of his.I kind of like him too,he's cute..
You're too old for concerts, but not for Clay Aikens?? :confused: :p

I actually have tickets. I was testing the waters to see how many people got them before I fessed up. :o

E-bay has shut down the blatent sales, but there are a few that might squeak through - like the guy who's selling a box of Windsor salt for $500 and is including a pair of tickets for free. :rolleyes:

chico2
June 25th, 2005, 07:40 AM
W4F,oh no,I am not to old for Clay,I LOVE his voice...open air concerts are noisy,with too many people...I cannot deal with crowds.
Chances are there will not be too many screaming teens at Clays concert,but then again screaming grannies are just as bad :D

Bearsmom
June 25th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Hmmm, long weekend, 3 lanes of northbound traffic. Ugh, no thanks. I'll sit at home and watch it. But to whomever is going, have a fabulous time!

Writing4Fun
June 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I wonder who the "surprise act" will be. Some are speculating that it'll be Bruce Springstein, others are saying the Stones (even though they've said they can't make it). As long as it's not Celine showing up in person, I'll be ok with it. :p I'm dying to see the Hip, though!

Well, Bearsmom, I'm already in the neighborhood (I would probably hear it from my back yard anyway, so why not go in person?). I'm not one for crowds either, but this is a piece of history I couldn't pass up. Besides, it's not often that hubby and I get to go out alone together (the kids will be at my sister's place) - I think we actually have a "date" about once a year, so this'll be it for 2005! :D

I just can't believe I got tickets! :eek: I don't usually have that kind of luck.

Bearsmom
June 25th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Whooo hoooo, DATE NIGHT!!! Haven't had one of those in aeons!!!!

Have fun!

Luba
June 25th, 2005, 10:19 AM
That'd be cool if it were the stones :D

chico2
June 25th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I could be wrong,but I think the surprise is that little Islandic girl,Bjork..thought I read it somewhere.But what do I know..it's HOT outside... :D

happycats
June 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I could be wrong,but I think the surprise is that little Islandic girl,Bjork..thought I read it somewhere.But what do I know..it's HOT outside... :D
BJORK!!!!!!!!......................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAG H... :yuck: .................Glad i'm not going!! ........I don't like her at all!! she is very strange!! she punched some poor reporter, who asked how she was doing!! :eek: