Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smokey the cat

Tracy Martinez
June 23rd, 2005, 05:50 PM
First off, I did make an appointment for Smokey first thing tomorrow morning.

I am in poession of a 4yr. old WONDERFUL male cat. He's been in my care about 3 weeks ever since my neighbors were evicted and abandoned him. I have been trying to find him a home as I already have 2 cats, but to no avail... :(
When I went to feed him this morning, I saw he was staggering and his head was sort of swinging side-to-side. He's eaten very little and has been sleeping in my closet all day. I tried like crazy to have him seen today but as I have no money until tomorrow, noone would take him. I can't find a place to bill me!!! I'm so worried and about him I've been in tears all day. He was outside all night as was my cat, so I don't know if he got poisoned or ate something poisonious, or got hit by a car?? I don't think I'll sleep very good tonight but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. This cat is the friendliest and most loveable animal, it's such a shame he's in this position, and I feel awful about it.
Thanks,
Tracy

Lucky Rescue
June 23rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
He was outside all night as was my cat, so I don't know if he got poisoned or ate something poisonious, or got hit by a car??

Those are possibilities, as there is no way to know what happened to him, but something sure did. Cats who are outside and roam all night have an average life span of 5 years.

If he is not neutered, you need to have this done as well.

Please let us know how he's doing!

Tracy Martinez
June 23rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Well, sad to say but I couldn't afford to keep him in the first place so if he's going to need extensive treatment, I'll have to have them put him to sleep. :(
I just wish I knew how to contact the loser neighbors who just left him here! But I'll definately leave a message tomorrow after the vet visit and let you know what happened. Keep your fingers crossed! :fingerscr

badger
June 23rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
If you cannot care for this cat, please try to find someone else, perhaps a rescue group in your area, who might take him. There are usually alternatives to simply putting an animal down. I hope you will exhaust all possibilities before you do.

CyberKitten
June 23rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
I agree with Badger - PLEASE find a rescue group that is no kill (ie do not kills cats that someone brings to them!!) if you yourself cannto afford to keep the poor gellow. Another alternative is to seek money in another way - ie fundraising. I am sure any newspaper would write a story about Smokey and hisuncaring so called pervious "companions". I hate (and I do not like to use that word) people who abandon animals! Ughhhhhhhhh!!!!

Tracy Martinez
June 23rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
I've definately tried finding ANY alternative for him. I wasn't going to put him down just because I couldn't keep him. I've tried numerous rescue groups, noone has called me back, or the numbers are disconnected. My city doesn't even have an impound and they've tried referring me to other cities who don't want him either. Even out of state!! I've asked every Tom, Dick and Harry I know if they want him. Noone does. I hope you read my first memo that this cat was abandoned and since then noone but ME has given a hoot about him. Then today he's in this terrible condition and I can't even get a d*** vet to see him unless I have the money up front, which I don't. I even explained to them I could bring payment in tomorrow morning but they won't see him. I guess money is more important than a suffering animal. I've had to watch this gentle fellow suffer all day long just because I don't have they money to take him to the doctor. If I didn't already have 2 cats of my own I would've loved to keep him. He's one of the nicest loving cats I've ever known. Trust me when I say if I have to put him to sleep it's only because I can't see him suffer. If have to do any procedure to save him and it's costly I just can't pay for it. I wish I had the money because I'd do whatever it took.

Lucky Rescue
June 23rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
It will probably cost about 60$ to have him euthanized at the vet - as much as an exam would cost.

Have you tried telling the vet that this cat is a stray and you're trying to help him? My vet has always helped when I brought a stray in by not charging for the exam and charging only cost for meds.

Don't know which rescues you tried but here are some:

The Cat Network (http://www.catnetwork.com/main.asp)

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/matagotmission.html

And here's a bunch.
http://muttcats.com/shelters/missouri.htm

If you tell the rescues that you will foster him if they help, they might be more willing.

Tracy Martinez
June 23rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
I found a vet who charges $20 for putting him to sleep. That's the last thing in the world I want to do so let's say a little prayer it's nothing too serious. He doesn't look too good though.
I'll let you know about his vet visit tomorrow. Thanks for the links I'll check them out right now. I did try a couple of those already this morning.
Oh and yes I did tell the vets he was an abandoned stray.

canine14
June 23rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
I really hope he's okay. Maybe you could work out a payment plan with the vet if Smokey needs extensive care. You love him and he's worth saving.

Angeleyes1437
June 23rd, 2005, 11:27 PM
I can't believe these people left him! Please get him checked out- let us know what it is... even if I have to call the vet and pay over the phone I will help out. You can't put him down if it's something curable!! I can't believe these vets won't help you out... how horrible. Do you have a regular vet that you see for your other 2 cats? Try explaining to him.

amber416
June 24th, 2005, 12:30 AM
You should try posting your situation on the petfinder.com message boards under urgent or rescue. There are many people from all over the US that post to those boards frequently and i am sure you will find a rescue to help you, I have seen it done many times there.

Tracy Martinez
June 24th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Ok, good news. I FINALLY found an emergency hospital to take him to. Funny thing is I called them this morning and was told it would be $67 to bring him in but when I called again tonight I guess because it was after-hours it was free. Go figure! Maybe the first person misinformed me. I called my family to borrow money and was even asking neighbors for donations. I got a whopping $5 bucks. But luckily because he's actually a stray we just signed him over to them. The vet said they were going to observe him tonight and try to figure out if he was poisoned, hit by a car, or if he picked up some kind of infectious disease. If it's the former, they will treat him and hand him over to an adoption shelter. If it's the latter, they will have to put him to sleep. :( I felt so sad to know the other 15 or so places I talked to were more worried about payment than the cat suffering! I just didn't have a bank account or credit card or any cash. It just happened to be a really tight week for us. So he's in good hands now and I'm going to call tomorrow to check on him and find out the verdict. Even my own vet just wanted money up-front. Anyway, I feel a lot better now knowing he's in the hospital. I just couldn't wait until morning to have him seen because he was so ill and miserable. I'll let you know! :fingerscr
Tracy

badger
June 24th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Good work, Tracy! Don't forget to come back and let us know how everything works out. I'm crossing my fingers that whatever he is suffering from is fixable. Will the shelter keep him until he is adopted?

Tracy Martinez
June 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM
:thumbs up Smokey is going to be ok! I called the animal hospital this morning and am told he's eating good and resting comfortably. They don't know what happened but he seems to be pulling out of it. Then later on today he's going to be picked up by Independence animal shelter and put up for adoption. (I pray to God he he'll get adopted because I do believe that shelter will euthanize animals due to the high numbers being taken in this year.)(I'm going to call them later on today and check on that.) So if anyone lives in the KCMO area please spread the word this cat needs to find a home!! He's been through so much poor little guy. I'm so glad he's doing well!

Angeleyes1437
June 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Good job!! I am happy. As for them putting him down, you can also tell them that you are willing to foster him if they pay for his food (which I think they will) until they find a home for him. Just to assure he doesn't get put down.

Karin
June 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Job well done! You deserve a medal for going above & beyond to help a cat like him.

I see the makings of another pet rescuer in you. One qualification of rescue work is you are always broke & poor. That is in a money sense. Your heart and soul will be so rich...you cannot even fathom how rich you will be.

Btw, Thank you.

Tracy Martinez
June 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks!! :o