Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Car sickness

Vas
June 23rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
I have a car sickness... :(
Recently my husband's colleague gave us a ride home and I thought I was going to die in the car. As usually I felf an upset stomach, a headache and I thought I was going to throw up at any time. I was counting minutes to leave the car, and even after I wasn't feeling good for hours. I hate that feeling!

It's Ok with me if I take a bus (if it rides smoothly and isn't crowder too much) or a train. My father manage to drive the car so smoothly like on the butter and I feel alright (if I open windows).
Otherwise it's a torture chamber.
Does anyone else has the same problem? Why body would react in a such way? And is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Thanks!

OdinAndAlan
June 23rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
I do. Hasn't happened in a while, but then again I haven't been in the passenger seat much lately. I find that it doesn't happen to me when I drive, but if I was in the passenger seat and the ride is not smooth, then I'm prone to getting car sickness. Of course, it's worse if I'm hungry or had certain foods. Either way, coke (original, not vanilla or diet or c2 or whatever) usually does the trick and makes me feel better. The other thing I do is just shut my eyes and sleep.

Shamrock
June 23rd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Vas, I dont have this problem, but it's surely a dreadful feeling. :sick: I've been sea-sick in the past, the equilibreum becoming upset the cause.
I know that Gravol really helps some people for car and other travel sickness - might try this when you know you will be in a car for a bit?
I think that sitting in the front only, with lots of fresh air coming in might help as well.
Cars that have a bumpy ride, or on a very winding road may may things worse for you - the motion is felt more.
I would advise the driver that you suffer from motion sickness when starting a journey. Everyone undersands this, and then can be on the alert.
If you start to feel ill - ask the driver to pull over when they can..so that you can get out and move around till the feeling passes.

I dont know your age, but motion sickness is something that is often gradually outgrown in adulthood.

Safyre
June 23rd, 2005, 04:11 PM
I get motion sickness every once in a while. its almost a vertigo feeling that I get ... everything starts moving faster, every motion seems larger, and BOY does it make me feel ill.

I know someone who had real bad motion sickness, he had his wife put those rubber strips attached to the bumper, they are long enough that they hit the groud. Somehow this helps, supposedly. I'll have to look it up on line to figure out the proper explaination as to why, sorry. I'll be back to post later.

Edit: They are static discharge strips. I still have no idea why/how they would work :o

glasslass
June 23rd, 2005, 04:56 PM
If you're prone to carsickness, never sit in the backseat. It's much worse there. Also, don't look at the scenery near you. Look at the scenery that is further out. Things up close move past much faster than things in the distance. I rode the Bullet Train in Japan and I really noticed a queesiness when I didn't do this.

Karin
June 23rd, 2005, 06:05 PM
A little trick we always used with motion sickness passengers on aircraft is chewing gum. Preferably mint flavored gum. Equalizes pressure in your eardrums and keeps the saliva glands active...remember, your mouth gets dry before you get sick, the mint gum counteracts it.
I have always been prone to motion sickness myself. I love to fish and I fly. The two do not mix....the gum trick has always kept me from barfing my lunch into someones lap.

Vas
June 23rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
Thank you for advice and interesting ideas! I shall try chewing gum or have a soft drink and avoid backseat if possible. And if it doesn't help I'll look for tablets.

Luba
June 23rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
Sit in the front seat thats the only thing you can do..and don't recline the seat or close your eyes. Wear dark sunglasses and believe it or not, try putting an ear plug in one or the other ears...not both ..try one ear first then the other and choose which one is best. ;) best of luck, it works!

dmc123
June 23rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
My niece gets very car sick, she now wears bands around her wrists. Can't figure out how or why they work, but they do.

Here are some site to find them, or do a google search (or other) on motion sickness wrist bands:

http://www.etravelergear.com/noqmotdiswri.html

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/lewis-motion-bands.html

http://www.safetycentral.com/motbyseab.html

Best of luck,
Diane

Prin
June 24th, 2005, 12:07 AM
heh heh.. I get car sick, but it's not motion sickness, it's control sickness. Sometimes, I have to ask the driver to pull over so I can drive. I just start to feel trapped and start up with the anxiety attacks, nausea, etc if somebody's driving style is too different than mine. Can't stand it. Luckily, with my man, I'm alright. He understands and does what I say just to keep me calm for a bit when I am getting bothered...

raingirl
June 24th, 2005, 06:50 PM
As a kid I used to get really bad carsickness. The only thing that worked is if I sat in the front seat. I think it was attributed to me looking out the windows to the sides in the back, having my neck turned, and things going by too fast.

If I sit in the front and put my head back on the head rest flat and don't turn my head at all (just look forward) i don't get sick.