Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moore Lawmaker Proposes Bill To Ban Pit Bulls In State

heidiho
June 23rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
MOORE, Okla. -- In the wake of an attack that severed the arm of a 3-year-old boy, an Oklahoma City-area lawmaker said Tuesday that he would propose legislation to ban the American pit bull terrier breed in the state.

SURVEY
Do you think pit bulls should be banned in Oklahoma?
Yes
No

Results | Disclaimer

Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-Moore, said he would introduce the bill during the 2006 legislative session. He said the measure would be modeled after a city ordinance that banned the breed in Denver.

Cody Yelton, of Moore, lost his left arm last week after he reached through a hole in his family's backyard fence and was bitten by a pit bull in neighbor David Capps' yard. Wesselhoft said in a press release issued Tuesday that the attack on Yelton, who lives in his legislative district, prompted him to act.

"Each time I read about one of these attacks or see the story on TV, I tell my wife, Judy, 'That dog ought to be outlawed,'" Wesselhoft said in the release. "Now that it's happened to one of my constituents, I've got to do this."

Wesselhoft's measure would amend existing state laws that regulate "potentially dangerous" dogs.

Under the proposed bill, existing pit bull owners would be required to keep their dogs in a structure that is inaccessible by a child. In addition, owners would be required to keep the dogs enclosed within an 8-foor fence that is mounted 1 foot below the surface.

Owners would also have to display a warning sign indicating that one of the dogs is on his or her property, according to the bill's proposed language.
Copyright 2005 by ChannelOklahoma.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

LavenderRott
June 23rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Well, I can sure see why it is not the boys fault for sticking his arm through the fence - or maybe the parent's should be held accountable for not watching their child a bit closer!

Heidi - can you please post the link?

heidiho
June 23rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
i know can u believe that crap./...............

Angeleyes1437
June 23rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
This is what I was talking about in that other thread!! I had to read it!! LOL... now I'm upset!! But not in a bad way... I need to know these things because it gives me drive to work harder at preventing BSL.

chocolatecoffee
June 23rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
I found the link - http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/4636103/detail.html.

The results of the survey are currently 51% for no and 49% for yes.