Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Allergies

MrsNorris151
June 23rd, 2005, 12:52 AM
Hello. My cat had a puffy watery eye and I took her to the vet. Turns out she has seasonal allergies. Her vet instructed me to give her benedryl at night and tonight I was about to give her a dose when she just licked the medicine dropper and started licking her mouth and making chewing noises. Then all of a sudden she started foaming like crazy. I paniked and took her to her water bowl but she just was spitting foam up like crazy. Could she be allergic to the medicine or did she really not like the way it tasted. I didn't give her the dose, I will wait to see what you all reccommend.

Lucky Rescue
June 23rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
That reaction is to the taste of it.

Some cats may tolerate the cherry flavoured one a bit better, but wont' like it.

When you dose her, try and squirt it into the side of her mouth, between cheek and teeth.

Never exceed the recommended dosage, since cats do not tolerate medicine very well.

MrsNorris151
June 23rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
Yeah, it is cherry flavored children antihistamine. Ok. I will try it again tonight and try to get her between the cheek and teeth. Thank you. The foam just scared me so much