Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shih Tzu with Seizures

RS1990
June 22nd, 2005, 09:19 PM
I have a Shih Tzu about 6 years old. The dog started with full on seizures last summer. She didn't seem to be herself - we thought it was the heat. Later, she rolled on her side and began to shake. This only lasted a short time then she got up wobbled around and came back to normal.

It happened again that night so she was rushed to a vet. They kept her overnight and found nothing. They put her on Phenanbarbatol(sp?). She was weened off the drug based on another vets opinion - which is good because she slept all the time on the drug.

She's had seizures on and off, but they have changed since that time. The vets have her on a small dose of Phenabarbatol(sp?). She starts to almost scratch at her head then she begins to yelp as if in pain. It doesn't last for a long time and then she is out of it acting normal.

We're starting to think it may be some head tumor...should we get a MRI? What could be done if something is found? Looking for any guidance or comments...

Angeleyes1437
June 22nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
Do you have Pet Insurance on her? I would definitely get all of the tests I could... but it can be costly. The only thing is, you may not be able to get insurance that will cover her seizures because it is pre-existing... but maybe you can work around it somehow. My poodle definitely started getting seizures in the last couple months of her life- but the vet said because of her age to just let her be as we were not sure of what it was. If it got worse to start testing her. She would just stop in a middle of something and stare for a few seconds with a mild "rock"... then go back to normal. I believe it was small seizures however, she was 17 and I because it rarely happened I didn't want to leave her with the vet for observation.

Speak to your vet, see what tests he thinks could help the issue. If you suspect a tumor, an MRI cannot hurt. Good luck... I wish you the best.

RS1990
July 4th, 2005, 04:10 PM
The Dr gave her a steriod shot and is putting her on a strict diet. She believes it all may be allergy related. The Shih Tzu has been doing fine since then.

Prin
July 4th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I've never heard of allergies causing seizures, but it's great news if she's well again. :) :fingerscr

RS1990
October 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM
The seizures seemed to have changed into a yelping form generally once at night around 3am. In addition, she seems to have a nervous scratch. Her hind leg seems to try to scratch at her head almost constantly.

She is on Phenobarbatol(sp). A fish oil capsule. And an occasional Benadryl - it seems that she gets a stuffy nose.

We really have no idea what the issue is.