Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new puppy

sunburstsw
June 22nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Hi

I have just purchased a nine week old mini american eskimo. Is there any thing I should know specific to this breed, or any suggestions that would be helpful.

Thanks

Luba
June 22nd, 2005, 09:21 PM
That really depends on whether the dog is healthy. Has the dog been to a vet and you said you purchased, from where a pet store? Breeder? Shelter? BAckyard Breeder/puppymill?

This can have a lot to do with the dogs social skills, health and overall well being.

sunburstsw
June 22nd, 2005, 10:15 PM
We purchased the puppy from a breeder, all of her dogs are ukc registared. We are taking her to the vets next week. The breeder gave us her vet records and there was nothing stated about poor health. We did do a lot of research bout this breed before getting her. To me her health seems good. I guess we'll find out next week.

Luba
June 22nd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Hope the vet gives you great news :D

katy82
June 22nd, 2005, 11:36 PM
Good luck with your little eskie. We have a standard and she is just over 8 months now. She's more than a little stubborn but very smart and energetic. We love her to death!

Safyre
June 23rd, 2005, 05:49 AM
Eskies are great dogs, from what I have heard from a few vets, they are up there on the list for biters, at vet offices at least.
Due to overbreeding and the number of Eskies in puppy mills, many bloodlines have been spoiled and the characteristcs are not the greatest.
They can be fear biters, and for that reason SOCIALIZATION, SOCIALIZATION SOCIALIZATION!!!! Get the dog into puppy classes, and obediance classes. Gt him/her used to everything you can, ppl, other animals (dogs, cats and any other animal you might bring into your home or have the dog around). Get them used to how it feels to be at the vet, used to standing for exam and what not.
This is really avice for anyone with a new puppy, but definately for a breed known to have some anxiety/social issues.

**Note: Not all Eskies are bad, I wouldn't even say most are bad, Just trying to be honest**

Check out this website http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/americaneskimodogs.html very honest opinion on a lot of breeds

angie79
June 23rd, 2005, 08:10 AM
make sure your baby has all its shots before socializing.... and if you go to puppy school make sure you ask for the kennel caugh shot.

and lots of hugs and kisses....

if they do have bitting issues, pull the pup around like a child would to get him used to it. pull his ears, toes legs tail. not saying to abuse him, i just realized that might sound bad, but play like a child would

ps that site is great just looked up my guy

mona_b
June 23rd, 2005, 09:51 AM
Congrats on your new puppy.... :)

So glad to hear you have researched this breed.This way you know exactly what to expect with this breed.Have you raised a pup before?

You most definately need to socialize this pup.

Safyre gave some great info.

I'll just clarify what angie said.What you need to do for a while is "gently" rub the pups paws,legs,ears and nose.Rub her back.Open her mouch to check her teeth.This way she will get used to the things that a vet does when getting checked and get used to being touched in those places so she doesn't get scared.Do not be rough when doing this.She is just a baby and you may hurt her and you may end up putting some fear in her.

Questions about this breeder.Did she give you a written health gaurentee?Where the parents health and genetic tested?(hips,eyes,this is not done by your usual vet)Is she microchipped or tatooed?Does this breeder show,have champion titles?

Sorry for all the questions.But there is a huge difference between a reputable breeder and a BYB.

Feel free to post some pics of her...What's her name?

Safyre
June 23rd, 2005, 12:50 PM
Mona- I think you interpreted Angie's post wrong, or maybe I did.

I think Angie was trying to say that the OP needs to get the dog used to actions of a baby/toddler/child. Get the dog used to having its tail pulled on, its fur pulled on, ears, and what not. I don't agree that this has to be done right now. This is a part of the socialization process, and I would only be doing it once the dog is old enough to understand a 'gentle' or 'baby' command.

Regardless, the info Mona gave was great advice as well, explaining exactley what to do to get the dog immune to the vets actions :)

pags
June 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM
Congratulations on your new puppy! I hope all goes well at the vet and we'll be waiting to hear. Be sure to stop by and tell us all about her -- oh and pictures.. I have noticed that the people around here are addicted to pictures. :)

Oh - and my standard puppy advice: Patience, consistency, and plenty of love.

angie79
June 23rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
what i was trying to say and thought i might be misunderstood was "if the breed is nippy or likely to snap" as i believe some one said that the breed is likely to do, yes tug not hard on ears tail and stuff so that the pup gets used to it and the if one day some one like a child does do that the dog wont snap. so sort of a combination of the way you both understood. and play with the feet as early as possible makes nail cutting much easier.
I started with my pup the day he came home because i have young children that come over and with floppy ears other dogs too grab them.

sunburstsw
June 24th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Well I am happy to say that the puppy is ajusting fine. As for nipping, I didn't find that in any of the info we read. Which is why i picked this breed. We have 5 kids, 2 yr old twins. So I really wanted to make sure it was a good breed with children. The twins have mauled her to death and she just lets them so hopefully thats a good sign. She has also become very fond of my husbands 1 yr old golden lab. She seems to be quite social. As for the breeder. We did meet the mother and father, and saw all their vet records, plus their UKC papers. So I hope that was a good thing.

The pups name is Pandora and the Golden Lab is Lestat. When I get the pics on the computer, i'll post a couple.

Thanks for all the advice.

Prin
June 24th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Good luck with your puppy. Looking forward to pics. :)

(By the way, I love Lestat as a pet name. I had a rat named Lestat.)

mona_b
June 24th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Pandora is a great name..Can't wait to see some pics..... :D

Another thing I want to suggest is to be a bit careful with the kids mauling her.As much as she will sit there and take it,she may at one point and time get fed up and actually start nipping at them.Puppies want the attention for only so long.Puppies need time to themselves also.I find at times this helps with Seperation Anxiety in them.

It's great that you saw both parents.But did you get a copy of the health records?Did you get a written health gaurentee?And I know I asked these questions,but if you can answer them,I can tell you if she came from a reputable breeder or not.Are the parents and pedigrees Champions or Titled?Was she tatooed or microchipped?Having the parents health and genetic tested does at times play a key role in their health.Not always,but mostly.Has she been breeding for very long?Sorry for all the questions,I'm just curious.. :)

sunburstsw
June 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM
I didn't think to ask to copy the parents health records, but we were shown them. As for champions i don't know. I do know that the kennel was one of the cleaniest that i have been in. And let me tell you we were looking for anything and everything. She has been breeding for about 10 years. I did not see any signs of negect of any of the dogs.
We do let the kids play with the pup but only for 15 20 mins at a time, I figure after that they have all had enough. The only problem is when I remover her she sits at the gate in the kitchen and cries. trying to get the kids to come over to her.

mona_b
June 24th, 2005, 10:53 AM
I didn't think to ask to copy the parents health records, but we were shown them.

See the thing is,reputable breeders WILL give you a copy of health records.This is a given.And if this breeder hasn't had any health or genetic testing done on her dogs,then how do you know if they are even healthy?Like I said before,there is certain testing that is not done by the usual vet.They need to be OFA and OVC tested.I'm thinking that maybe she doesn't show her dogs,if she did,she wouldn't hesitate to inform you about it..Since it doesn't really sound like a reputable breeder,I would keep an eye on Pandors health.I am definately not saying that something will happen.But alot of times there can be health issues with pups that come from BYB's.

Well what you can do if she is whinning for the kids is to get a Kong and fill it with treats.This way it will help her with her teething,and also keep her mind busy trying to get to the treats... :)

sunburstsw
June 24th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I would hesitate to say that she is not a reputable breeder, We are very pleased with what we saw and heard. And are extremely happy with our puppy.