Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is the worst job you've ever had?

Shamrock
June 22nd, 2005, 05:06 PM
I am considering returning to work on a part-time basis, and find myself thinking back on all the various jobs I've held - some fairly good, others not so hot. I have to smile, as some were bloody awful :eek: in the beginning.
It could only have been the stamina of the young that kept me going.

One was a telephone answering service with an old fashioned switchboard that you plugged in to. The headset weighed about 10 pounds, the phone lines were SO busy, you couldnt get a breather or even keep up, no matter how fast you worked. Worst of all, the office was a tiny little closed off area.. with no a/c. In summer, it was like an oven. A couple of times, I felt faint from lack of air circulation.
The pay was shamefully low, of course, but at the time, I needed this job so toughed it out for a whole year.
Today, I wouldnt last a week..probably not even a day. :D

I just wondered what your worst experience in the job market was?

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
I guess I can probally be one of the only ones to say never had a worst job,.
I had a worst boss lol the bosses brother took over while the boss was not able to mind the restaurant and treated me badly. but I learned that Johnny didn't repect his brother and knew the way he gets hot headed and I sort of stuck it to him when he said stuff. and lol was congratulated for doing so when the real boss came back

Sneaky2006
June 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
I've never really had a bad job, just a bad working environment, awful coworkers.
I once worked the night shift at CVS, all kinds of weirdos coming in in the middle of the night... kinda scary. Then some 'assistant manager' tells my boss that I was sleeping behind the counter.... yeeeah, like I would EVER do that. What's worse is there were cameras! And somehow the tape of the night in question was erased. My boss questioned me in his office about the sleeping right in front of this woman (who was his best friend also, which I thought was NOT professional at all). I told him he had to be kidding if he actually thinks I would be sleeping with weirdos popping in at 2 am. Anyway, she wanted me fired, he said he would give me another chance even though I was 'sleeping on the job' and I said _*%^*^$ you!!!!!! And left. (and I did NOT give them back their stupid red vest I had to wear :D )

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 22nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
I have had a few really tedious jobs. One I had to put wallpaper books together, and glue paint chips on cardboard, The smell of the glue gave me a real headache

Another job I had to sit in this wearhouse with my nephew we worked together and we had to sort through documents and through the non important stuff in a big recyle bin. My title was technical document sorter.
We also worked with the foreman of the warehouses son and daughter, I don't think he liked us very much. As one day he drove his forklift right into the table and I had to run to get out of the way.

mrjohndoe
June 22nd, 2005, 07:33 PM
I've had like most everyone. Occassionaly cleaned stalls for the owner of an Arabian Horse stable. Cleaning up after the horses was a snap...just sawdust and asides from their Stallion banging the stable wall there was little hoopla.

However, this owner liked to fatten some beef calves over the winter and never clean the pen until the spring! :eek: Just kept on throwing in straw. Thankfully I can't smell but, still have no idea how the cows moved in the three feet of manure.

Karin
June 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
The worse job I ever had was collecting unemployment, beating the pavement in search of real employment while being treated for cancer at the same time.

Earning a paycheck for work given honestly is the most satisfying feeling of relief. I have been lucky career wise when I was young, but any job I held I am greatful for...even when working for a jerk.

Being able to work is a gift.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 22nd, 2005, 08:41 PM
That would be hard. I hope that you are beating your cancer. My sister is fighting it right now her self and winning too. My husbands brothers fiance was just diagnosed and she is only 24. It seems she will beat it as well

I have experienced the unemployed part and I know it is no fun. Especially when you have kids to feed.

My job is new to me so it is a bit stressful, but money is not bad and it does get better day by day. :)

Schwinn
June 22nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
One summer while I was a student, I spent my days following a tractor through a field just outside of Chatham, picking rocks. It was hot and humid, and we spent our days in the dusty field, sweating, bent over picking up these heavy rocks. I was telling someone the other day where I currently work about that. Then I told her, "right now, I really miss those rocks!"

happycats
June 22nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Earning a paycheck for work given honestly is the most satisfying feeling of relief. I have been lucky career wise when I was young, but any job I held I am greatful for...even when working for a jerk.

Being able to work is a gift.

What a great attitude :thumbs up !! I wish more people felt this way!

I, like you count myself very lucky, for having a job, ,and being able to pay my bills!!
I love working, it makes me self sufficient and independent, and allows me to enjoy some of the nicer things in life :)

dmc123
June 22nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
I have had a few bad jobs, the worst was a fast food place. The manager needed meds. The day I left, I was only there about a month, he came back from the bank, had coins in a bag, and angrily tossed the whole bag across the steel table, tossing coins, pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters across the table and about the entire working area............psycho!!!

I left my little uniform apron and punched time card, lol! Bye Bye!

Diane

Prin
June 22nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
Worst: a particular, very very popular place in Quebec that sells deep-fried pastries in the shape of a national animal's body part... LOL. Terrible pay, terrible hours, terrible environment. You only know the starting hour of your shift. You end when you end. I started at 1PM one day and I figured I would be home around 9, and it was my man's birthday, so we'd do something afterward. I finished at 5 AM... Terrible job. And the worst part is you have to split your tips with everybody. Even the bosses who get salaries and benefits. BOOOOOoooooooo!!

Second worst: the vet I worked at. The vet was ok, but the part time vet was a BUTCHER.

Third worst: Used car saleswoman... The cars were used high-end sedans. The dealer claimed that they came with a manufacturer's warranty... I opened the hood of a couple and they had scrapyard parts inside, which I know voids any warranty. Then I looked closer, and all the cars had been accidented badly and were repaired. If a car has a really bad accident, not matter how you fix it, the weight distribution is different and it will not perform in an accident like it is supposed to.

Anyway, my best friend's favorite CEGEP teacher walked in and told me he was getting a divorce and needed a new car to cart his kids around in when he had visitation. He was pretty much decided on an Acura 2.5TL (the 5 cyl one) and was coming in the next day to buy it. An instant $500 for me, plus whatever else I coud get out of him. After he left, I looked at that car closely and the entire back end had been refurbished. If he got rear-ended with his kids in the back, they would certainly have died. I quit the next morning early and called the prof and told him to run in the other direction.

taket
June 22nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
I worked for a Landscaping company over the summer about 4 years ago. Sure it was hot, sweaty, unbearable work, but since my friend owned it, it was about the only job I could get at that age. Plus, I was done with work by 2:00pm so I still had alot of the day left. Then again, I was cutting the first lawn by 7:00am. :mad:

I have never had such a farmers tan in my life though. I swear, the Central Florida sun beats down during the summer like its nobody's business.

EDIT: Whats the Canadian national "animal"? Heh, I don't even know the American National Animal.

~

angie79
June 23rd, 2005, 07:06 AM
taket
she is refering to what we call Beaver tails, its basially fried dough shaped like a beaver tail with lots of sugar and cinnimon, big seller in the old port of Montreal anyone who goes there gets one

Writing4Fun
June 23rd, 2005, 07:16 AM
I agree with Karin - any work is good work. Then again, I haven't held down the dirty, nasty jobs that my husband has, so maybe I'm just naive about these things. ;) The most boring job I ever had was accounts receivable for the Pascal chain of stores (how's that for a blast from the past?! :eek: ). There was one nice, older gentleman who made the effort to be nice to me. Everyone else just ignored my presence. Very sad experience for a young kid in one of her first jobs in the "real" world.

Wouldn't the American national animal be the bald eagle??

Beaglemom
June 23rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
I would have to say that my worst job ever was when I worked for a Telemarketing company doing surveys. I really hated that job. I used to get yelled at, cursed at, hung up on, etc. I remember one time I went in to work on Sunday and started my shift. I got yelled at by some guy that answered the phone because I had the nerve to call him on Super Bowl Sunday! Well, he didn't have to answer the phone! The worse part of the job was that you couldn't comment back to these people, you had to take it and be polite.

I only stayed at the job long enough to make money to cover my trip to Europe that summer and then I quite. Luckily I had another job waiting for me and then I got the one I'm at currently.

lezzpezz
June 23rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
see the post that is running simultaneously with yours entitled:

"Do you empty your dog's anal glands yourself?"

That alone is the worst job I have ever had!!! HAHAHAHA :D

SarahLynn123
June 23rd, 2005, 08:51 AM
I worked at a garden center type place, had for a couple years through the summer. It was a great job until they hired a lady (mom with 2 kids) who stole money right from the till and blamed me and the other young girl! We were only 16-17 years old. She would steal money, count the till at he end of the night and then tell the manager that it was short $50-$100 because we stole from it!

I had worked there longer then her but she was still above me, my manager knew it wasn't us young girls but we still got our privelges taken away. No more usung the till, no more touching the money, so our job was now to water plants.

My understanding is that this 'lady' went on to manage her own store!

Prin
June 23rd, 2005, 09:04 AM
see the post that is running simultaneously with yours entitled:

"Do you empty your dog's anal glands yourself?"

That alone is the worst job I have ever had!!! HAHAHAHA :D
LOL LOL!! Me too.. That and cleaning up a doggy sick day... :D

If anybody ever goes to the old port and has a tail, try to be nice to the workers... If they ain't smilin', it's for a GOOD REASON. (If you have to yell at somebody, yell at the managers... :D )

nymph
June 23rd, 2005, 09:33 AM
Telemarketing no doubt! It was so depressing being called all sort of names.

Rick C
June 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
Installing insulation in cabins at Pine Lake, Alberta . . . . . awful boss, awful job, not a highlight for sure.

I liked working on my grand uncle's farm for the most part - especially the three week paid vacation water skiing with him and his family in the Okanagon!! - but laying sod, picking rocks out of the field with bare hands, and shovelling out his rotten vegetable pit weren't highlights.

Yeah . . . . shovelling rotten vegetables out of a basement was a pretty bad job, barely holding on to my puke the entire time because of the smell.

Yeah . . . that was bad. BAD!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

pags
June 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Giggle. Let's see.. I've only really had two jobs in my life.. For the first I was a telemarketer for a small air-conditioning service in December . I got to call people and try to convince them that if they didn't have their a/c serviced ahead of time it would break down on the hottest day of the year. I thought the people were pretty considerate in spite of the hang-ups and cusswords simply because I had no business calling them in the first place. :p And that's why I hated the job so much... WHY does anyone think they have the right to interrupt someone's dinner to try to sell them something? My boss and I were at odds over this all the time because I started my calls with "I am sorry to disturb you and please let me know if this is not a good time..." He would hear me say this and argue that I was to NEVER apologize.. but then he didn't want to let me go because I had the highest sales. I HATED that place and I quit and went back to my original job and stayed there for the next 12 years.

Uh.. my original job? I was a bill collector. :p

Dogastrophe
June 23rd, 2005, 11:12 AM
I worked for a municipal water and sewer department for three summers while in university. Part of the job required doing the catch all 'domestic sewer repair', which was essentially cleaning plugs out of the main domestic sewer line (section from the outside wall to the street). More often than not, the line would be plugged for days, which required draining the line into a bucket, and hauling it to the street sewer. If you opened the drain cap to fast, the pressure would blow the cap out of your hands and give you a lovely sewage shower. Not Fun!

Also would get put on the vaccuum truck which would wander around the city cleaning out main sewer lines. Every Friday we would have to go to the pollution control plant and vaccuum up the 'solids' that could not be treated and truck them to a compost facility. mmmmmmmm .... solids.

kandy
June 23rd, 2005, 12:21 PM
I don't think I've ever had a bad job - I agree that you should be grateful for whatever job you have - but I would have to say that the job I liked the least was when I managed a bar. That job taught me to swear like a sailor, and drink like a fish - and those were the good things! LOL

I've also:
worked in a dry cleaner's where the solvent would melt anything plastic (including fake fingernails! :eek: )
worked in a daycare center where a 4 year old gave me a permanent black eye
worked in a store where we had to clean up the mice that got trapped the night before :yuck:
worked for my dad's construction company blowing insulation into attics - 100+ degrees, no air circulation - got bloody noses all the time and always worried about falling through the ceiling if I passed out from heatstroke!

Bearsmom
June 23rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Most challenging job: Being a construction flag girl on a provincial highway in the dead of summer. People are mean-they'd try to run into our knees, would swear at us (okay, buddy, go ahead and drive through while they're blasting, you idiot), spit on us, and once, I had a coffee thrown at me. Lucky for me, two cars back was an OPP cruiser. hehehe.

Best job? Aside from being a mom, the one I have right now.

Copper'sMom
June 23rd, 2005, 02:01 PM
Tobacco!!!! Pulling, planting and grading!!

Hot greenhouse, hot sun, and hot barn!

Pulling - sitting on a board, bent over, pulling plants from the greenhouse to plant in the field.
Planting - sitting on the planter, placing plants in a contraption as it goes around and around and around! Very important to put plants in the right side up so the roots are planted - not the leaves!!
Grading - Harvest time - standing in a barn in one spot(hard part) as a conveyour belt goes by with dry tobacco leaves on it for us to sort out by various colours. Once in a while you become dizzy from the constant motion of the tobacco and conveyour belt and fall over or shuffle down the line with the tobacco which then you bump into the next person on the line. This has to be the worst job ever!

glasslass
June 23rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Car-hop at Dog & Suds in the mid-60's when I was going to school. Think American Graffitti, and this is the town where George Lucas grew up and American Graffitti was based. Job wasn't so bad really, but my parents & little brother came on a Friday night and ordered 3 rootbeer freezes. As I'm attaching the tray to the car window, my Pop tried to be helpful and raised the window a bit more. Unprepared, the tray came out of my hands and all 3 freezes dumped down the front of me. Mortified, I ran back into the building, took one step on the linoleum floor inside, and slipped and fell flat on my back in the doorway, covered in rootbeer and ice cream. I made lots of tips that night though - most from my Pop!

Jackie467
June 23rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
I had two terrible jobs. But the worst was picking cotton with my mans family in Mexico. Blah, talk about hot. it was over 115 degrees F, and we were staying on the ranch with his grandparents and they didn't have airconditioning or running water. I actully had to quit because I passed out from the heat.

The other was bailing hay in PA. But the heat in PA is nothing like the heat here or in mexico. bailing hay is hard and very tireing. My job was to walk behind the tractor and help throw the bails into the other tractor. Talk about heavy.

happycats
June 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Awww, Cactus Flower, I loved your Mans arm storyhttp://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (LMFAO!!!) why did you delete it?

Shamrock
June 23rd, 2005, 03:50 PM
awww, me too, Cactus Flower!! :crazy: A great job story!
Thanks for your stories- I am really enjoying reading these!

But -yikes! THESE are some hard jobs! ( I feel like SUCH a whiny wuss now :o )

Some really tough labour, backbreaking work in brutal conditions and ..well, some pretty repugnant jobs (and bosses) I forgot about the telemarketing fun. First job I ever had. People yelling, cussing you out for disturbing them
But - doesnt BEGIN to compare with being spit on and having coffee thrown at you while trying to direct traffic. UN-believable!

Karin, that had to be a tough time for you, you're a very courageous and strong person.
I certainly agree that one should never feel ashamed of any job, but proud that they have the work ethic, and try to gain satisfaction and pride from doing the best job they can.

This thread got me thinking about others I know who have had unusual or very hard jobs.
I remember my son taking a tree-planting job in the BC interior, when he was about 19. Trapped in the wildnerness in the job from hell.. as he described it ;) anticipating a grizzly bear attack at any moment.
Also, a woman I worked with at the answering service/sweatshop was a hairdresser. She did occassional work at at local funeral home, she said, styling the hair of the deceased for their service.
Dont know if this was even true, she tended to lie a lot..but if so - sure not the job for everyone :eek:

happycats
June 23rd, 2005, 03:54 PM
I think the "worst" job would be in a slaughter house :sad: I know I could NEVER do it, ever!.

Karin
June 23rd, 2005, 04:55 PM
No one is forced to do any job. Living in the free world has it's benefits. In some countries, people do not have a choice like you and I. They are told to do certain jobs. Vacation, sick leave, raises are unheard of.

We are a lucky lot. I have had gravy jobs, making big bucks and doing basically what ever I wanted. I have also been in business myself.
I worked in aviation along time and lived a great life, I have also worked in the hay fields for a friend when I needed work and loved every hot, blistering day. A shower at the end of the day was the most wonderful thing.
So much is taken for granted. What ever job you do, do your best.
I live alone and I support myself. I try too. It pains me to ask for help when Ciara was so sick, she still is and my vet has come through again with meds at cost only.
My mother came through with help for a new car. I am so grateful for this also..(she does owe me, long story) But If I was a lazy person who did not want to work, how long could I survive?
My job now sucks for air. It is not what I really want to do & the pay is low. I may complain but here is the other side. I can check on Ciara anytime all day long. I can take care of her needs all day long while working. It may be sucky but for now it's a dream job.
When I can no longer work it's time for the big dirt nap.
As Mac McAnnaly say's...any job is a step towards another job that sucks less. So true. Every day of work is a gift, I hate the feeling being out of paychecks.

Crazy Hippie
June 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Hmmm...worst job would have to be my first job at age 16 where I served ice cream and food at Dairy Queen (two words: CHILD LABOUR). That place was brutal...it was actually a lot of fun to work in a place run by kids your own age, but such a labourous job (heavy lifting, dangerous cleaning of the ducts above the grill, long hours, bad pay, short/no breaks, etc). I remember having such extreme back/leg pain when I got home sometimes. I must say, after working in fast food...I wouldn't eat fast food if I were you lol.

lilith_rizel
June 23rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
I have never had a job really. Not unless you concider helping out my mum. She owns a cleaning company that I helped her with since I was in 7th grade. James said that I never need to get a job, but after having one child, and another on the way. I think I am going to get one. Besides, I can't stand being home all day. James would love it, but I HATE it.....I need to be around people.....

Karin
June 23rd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Being a mom is a real job too. Been there....Check your clock, you have been on overtime for a few months. I would love to see that paycheck!

Dogastrophe
June 24th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Being a mom is a real job too. Been there....Check your clock, you have been on overtime for a few months. I would love to see that paycheck!

My mom left her real job (full time mom of 4) when I was about 12 to work p/t at McDs, later switched to f/t. She always said that as bad as the work was / is, it is still much easier than running after 4 kids. 20+ years later she is still at McD's and still says that it is easier work than raising kids.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 24th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Beagle mom
I would have to say that my worst job ever was when I worked for a Telemarketing company doing surveys.

I just recently did a survey job for a research company. It was pretty tedious but I actually completed all my surveys and was considered the best surveyor. I did it at home and my husband works at night so I am trying to call people while my kids are yelling in the background.