Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found a lump

Beaglemom
June 22nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
I was rubbing Misty's belly like I usually do and found a small mammary lump. Misty is 9 years old (this past weekend) and was spayed at 6 months before her first heat cycle. I'm so worried right now. I'm very vigilant when it comes to these things and am constantly feeling her all over to make sure there are no abnormal growths or what not. It is small, but is there nonetheless.

I have already spoken to her vet and have an appointment tomorrow evening to have it examined. She will then be scheduled for surgery to have it removed and tested. We will then go from there. I'm so worried. I'm trying to stay positive, but I can't help but think of the worst. I don't know what I would do if anything were to happen to her.

She is healthy otherwise. She eats well, is active and a very happy dog. I'm just very worried.

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 04:22 PM
most lumps are nothing don't worry too much, :pawprint:

Karin
June 22nd, 2005, 09:50 PM
All lumps should be watched. Ciara has a few lypomas, fatting tumors. I can move her small fatting tumors easily, they are not attached. Your vet can tell what & when to be worried about. Some want to aspirate the lump for further testing.(sending off a slide containing cells from the lump) That is up to you. If money is no object do it. If you can observe for a while and the bejesus has not been scared out of you by now...wait.

Lumps are to be expected sometimes as a dog gets older.

Beaglemom
June 23rd, 2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone. I have an appointment at 6 tonight. The vet did inform me that we will be removing the lump and sending it out for further tests, but they want to examine it first.

Karin, this has been worrying me a great deal. I worry about everything when it comes to Misty. She is very special to me. I found the lump on Saturday afternoon and we have been watching it since then. I thought that the one I found at first was on her mammary glad on her rib cage, but then I couldn't find that one yesterday. I found another that was further down, very small. Maybe I was mistaken on the location at first since she was standing and yesterday I had her lying down with her belly exposed for a belly rub. We will be extra vigilant and make sure that there are no others. I will ask the vet to double check.

We do have pet insurance for her, so I'm not worried about the money. I only want what is best for her, always.

We are especially worried having just lost our Shandy a month ago to cancer. She was almost 15.

Beaglemom
June 24th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Well, we went to the vet last night and the vet took a look at it. It was hard to find because it is so small. At first I thought maybe I was mistaken, but the vet did find it and took a very good look. It was draining from her nipple, but doesn't hurt her at all and it is a soft lump, not hard. The vet thinks that it may just be a small infection. We are going to keep an eye on it for now. He said that if it becomes inflamed or grows bigger we will have it removed. For now, he said that because it is under 1 cm we are just going to watch it. He cleaned it up with disinfectant and we are just watching it for now.

KessyWessy
June 24th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Beaglemom,
Glad to hear it may be an infection. Kes had a mammary infection last summer, at around 4 or 5 months old, She developed 2 lumps. But they didin't drain or anything.

It cleared right up with some antibiotics. Hopefully the same thing will happen with Misty.

Beaglemom
June 24th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Misty wasn't given any antibiotics. The vet just cleaned it with disinfectant and told me to keep an eye on it. Hopefully because it is really small it will clear up quickly. If it grows or changes in anyway, I'll be taking her back in.

Karin
June 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM
That is good news! Thanks for the update.

Lumps happen. Ciara enjoys a good rub down and it gives me a chance to check for new lumps and to check the condition of the lumps I already know about. I try to do this every week if I am not too busy. I have not been able to sit on the floor with her lately so I gave her her massage in her bed last night. (She needed fluids again anyways, so while I'm at it..)

shannon1233A
June 24th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Yeaaaa for good news! I love pet owners like you that get to know every square inch of their pet so they notice anything amiss right away. And thanks for the update, I was praying !

Beaglemom
June 24th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks. I was very happy when the vet informed me that we could just watch it for now because it looks to be a tiny infection that will most likely clear up on its own.

It is very important to examine your pets as often as possible. It is easy with Misty as she loves her massages and belly rubs. Everybody in the family gets in on it and she just loves the attention. She will roll over just for a belly rub which makes it that much easier to check her for any lumps.

Karin, I know that you must still be in pain right now. I hope you feel better real soon.

Karin
June 24th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I was doing okay until yesterday, I tried to catch-up on some much needed housework and I must have overdone it. Also it was my first day driving again. I took Carol to the doctor in my new "used" car...first time driving any distance too. *shudders*.
A very comfy car except it's low...my blazer was butt equal distance. I feel every inch in my cracked ribs getting in & getting out. My chest hurts worse now than one week ago, same for my back. My boss reminded me what pain does for you. I have been on some very strong meds lately, I started to wean myself the other day. Pain is a natural body indicator to take notice, a red flag on what can be done and not, when to stop, a limit.

I need to feel and listen to it to some extent. I am going to take only a nighttime dose if I can.
I really need to jump back into the program asap.