Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

we have a diagnosis for issac

Eleni
June 22nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
he has Mild, almost moderate autisim

his score was 36.5, 37 is moderate.

now we go thru a few more evaluations to begin getting his therapy, and the ped suggeted vitamin b6 for him, apparently it helps.

so more waiting but at least we got a diagnosis now

Eleni

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 04:20 PM
:grouphug:

Princesss04
June 22nd, 2005, 04:29 PM
You and your son are still in my prayers. I am glad they know what is wrong now they can figure out how to manage it and that will help you! Hugs from my house to yours. :grouphug:

Eleni
June 22nd, 2005, 05:11 PM
thanks, Ive been prepared for this diagnosis, so its no shock or anything

im glad im not crazy and something really IS wrong.

she gave us quite a bit of hope, she figures with help he will catch up to his peers developmentally.

and even tho he will always be challenged socially, with help he can lead a reasonably normal life. wich is music to my ears, but we have the task of his therapy at hand, he really needs help with communication so thats where the concentration will be for now

and at this point we just go thru things one step at a time

Eleni

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Eleni you sound very strong.

I hope the best, They have been doing alot of reseach on autisim so there is alot to be done to help.

I should give you a title of a book that may be of interst to you its called "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon

My sister in law lent it to me when we were talking about kids and autism came up.
the author worked for years with autisic children and wrote this book through the eyes of an autistic boy. I found it very interesting and showed me the way the mind works for these children.

thats very long winded just to say if you want to see the world through your son's eyes i suggest you read the book, and have some klenex ready*

Shamrock
June 22nd, 2005, 05:24 PM
Eleni, :grouphug:
I am sure you are greatly releived to have a diagnosis at long last.. and can now begin working on a course of treatment. It does sound as though his prognosis is very good, and as with any condition with children- the sooner the diagnosis and treatment, the better the success rate.There is nothing worse than being in the dark.. knowing "something" is wrong, and everything is in limbo until it can be traced. Now you can proceed in a definite direction.
My continued thoughts and prayers for you and your son, please let us know how things are coming along for you both.

chico2
June 22nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Eleni,that's good,at least now you know what you are dealing with,no more guesswork..hopefully the help he needs is available to him.
I know a single dad who has 2 autistic sons and he was in the forfront in the fight to get help for them beyond six years and is still fighting,they were however severly autistic,not like Isaac.
So good luck to both of you,I am sure you are relieved :grouphug:

Schwinn
June 22nd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Eleni, I'm glad you are keeping a good outlook on this. Some of us have never been diagnosed with anything, and people have lost all hope on us being normal!

With hard work and lots of love, he's going to do okay. :grouphug:

Luba
June 22nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Some relief for you today to know :D

I have read many theories about autism and from some studies, have concluded that many problems can be related to possible allergies or chemical sensitivities as well as processed foods and additives for colouring and flavouring.

I know there are on going studies, where autistic and ADD and ADHD kids and adults were taken right off junk foods, preserved foods and white sugars and fed only healthy diets. There were major improvements and still even more improvements in the children and adults who ate natural ORGANIC diets.

Just thought you may want to know that :D there are always new ways to approach things.

Very best of luck.

kandy
June 23rd, 2005, 11:47 AM
I'm glad that you finally have a diagnosis - now you can look to treatment instead of tests. :grouphug:

CyberKitten
June 23rd, 2005, 10:02 PM
There are somewonderful treatments for autism now so know you are not alone and there is lots of help out there. I was at a conference a week or so ago where we were discussing autism - tho the conference was not about that - I just happened to be sitting with a psychiatrist who treats many many children with autism and a neurologist who does world renowned research in the area (just rec'd a CIHR Chair which means egebucks for him and for autism and epilepsy - his other area of expertise) and we could not help but discuss the so many assumed etiologies of autism that turned out to be so wrong - the vaccine suggestion for example. But there is a definite increase in the number of Canadan children born with autism and needs so much more research!!

Good luck to you and Issac!! Once you meet other parents and children, it should be helpful too - you can access all the various organizations and help available. I am on the executive of one of the orgs if you need more info. (I don't want to post it here, it does get lots of publicity anyway tho I guess we coud always use more. :) )

Take care and give Issac a hug for me! :grouphug: