Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Black Lab Behaviour with new Kitten

pitacat
June 22nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Hello, I've asked about our new kitten, now I'd like to talk about our 4 year old black lab female, Shade. Shade is very gentle, a bit clumsy maybe, and a fool over any person she meets, just a sweet, silly puppy yet. She had a bad experience with our daughter's grown cat when our daughter moved home for about 6 months. They were never friends, but developed and "uneasy relationship". We introduced Pita (our new kitten) gradually, keeping the kitten in a different part of our house, bringing her into Shades domain once in a while, letting her sniff him, always petting Shade when the cat was around, etc, and it seems to be working. Shade did one odd thing though....when we first allowed the kitten down on the floor in the dogs room, he started playing with one of the dogs rag toys...Immediately, Shade gathered up her big rag toy, took it to the farthest wall, dropped it, went to get her chew bone, took it to the rag and dropped it on top, then went to get her other bone toy and did the same, as if to safe-guard her possessions. I thought that was kind of neat, never saw her do anything like that before. Anyway, anyone have any advice about keeping the introduction going smoothly? Shade is from strong hunting stock, and I've heard that hunting dogs are the hardest to socialize with cats....so far so good though.

Dogastrophe
June 22nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
I can't comment on the dog / cat stuff, but my Lucy will often collect all the toys / bones and keep them between her front paws to Jack cannot get them. Prior to us adopting her I don't believe she ever had a toy, which has caused her to be mildly toy possessive - generally will not say a word if Jack comes up and takes one, but will often drop her toy and attempt to take his for her collection (grass is always greener syndrom :) ).

pitacat
June 22nd, 2005, 02:29 PM
When our daughters were teenagers we called it "Don't touch my stuff" syndrome! :)

pitacat
June 25th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Well, I feel pretty sure now, (it's Saturday) that Pita is okay with Shady (lab). Not 100% though. Pita relentlessly jumps on any part of Shady that moves, her tail, her paws, and sometimes even "attacks" when Shade is not moving, just sleeping on the floor. Poor Shade just moves away or comes to me, a forlorn look in her eyes. After a bit we remove the kitten to another room, just to give the dog a break. Shade has shown absolutely no aggression towards the kitten, and we hope she just patiently waits this faze out, or maybe just ignores the attacks completely. Pita isn't a spitting, clawing fury, just a paw out, I think practising her hunting, stalking moves. Any ideas on what else we could do?