Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Be careful of children in pools!!

Luvmypit
June 22nd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Last night the scariest thing happened. I was at friends who have a pool with my 9 year old daughter and hubby. The kids next door came over to swim. I know now when it comes to swimming you have to ask the parents. The little girl had a bathing suit on and the little boy who was 5 had just boxer shorts. He came after his older sister and said that his mom said he could swim. Now at this point everyone is playing a game of dominos and I am just watching the boy. I just had this feeling to really watch him. He got on a raft and floated around. Ok thats fine. My daughter and the other girl got out of the pool and went inside so it was just the boy. He slipped off. I watched him. HE went right under the water. Didn't attempt to swim. Didn't flail is arms crazy as you see when people are drowning on TV. I think this is the biggest misconception. He just stood at the bottom of the pool not moving. I reached in (soaked myself in the process) and pulled him out coughing. He was under for about 4 seconds as I thought originally he was fine and gave him the chance to swim up thinking he was just playing. After I pulled him out by the arms (I had to reach under the water) not one of the other adults even noticed what happened and the picnic table was literally right there.

My lesson. Always watch your kids and other kids in and around the pool. The thing most noteable is the fact that not one sound was made while he was under the water. He just fell off the raft slowly and sunk and never moved. It happens so fast and although you see on TV the classic drowning scene that was certainly not the case here. The other adults had no idea even while I paniked to grasp him under the water. They were shocked that it happened and scared also that 5 adults out there had no idea a kid slipped into the water that couldn't swim. Thank god I had a feeling. I am pretty intuitive and even though the kid said that he could stand in the water (only 4 ft.) and swim I just had this gut feeling he didn't.

Honestly it really shook me up! Thank GOD!

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
That is great advice, i hope the boy learned and the parents learned as well.
I am a firm believer in showing why things are dangerous alot of people i know will not agree with me, one time babysitting my cousin now 12 long time ago she was 2 and i kept saying be carfull stay away from the pool (she didn't listen) after many times saying it I gave up and just watched. I knew what was going to happen and was prepared so when she fell in I waited for the panic lol about 1 second and jumped in after her and we talked about it and she didn't go near the pool again alone, some times fear is the best learning tool otherwise they never learn the danger.

Luvmypit
June 22nd, 2005, 10:05 AM
I agree totally. kids these days are coddled and protected more so then I ever was. Live and learn.

Honestly I just couldn't stop thinking what if I went to the washroom or wasn't paying attention. I can't even think about it.

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
I dont think you would of, your too responsible for that!!!

you can't think about the what if's

lezzpezz
June 22nd, 2005, 10:10 AM
Bravo for you! You can consider yourself someone who has now saved a life.

I have a pool too. Often, the neighbourhood kids will come for a swim after they ask permission from both myself and/or husband and their parents. We know the families on the street pretty well. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE THESE CHILDREN ALLOWED TO SWIM IN MY POOL UNLESS EITHER MYSELF, HUSBAND OR THEIR PARENT OR ANOTHER ADULT IS PRESENT. PERIOD. Yes, they are all able to swim and most are over the age of 12. Not good enough for me. Must have an adult present, or Lucas, one of the kids, who is an avid swimmer and 17 yrs old.
Just in the paper today, another 3 yr old toddler drowned in an inflatable pool. That makes 3 in the T.O area in as many weeks. All preventable.
You make very excellent points about the silence of drowning. I almost drowned when I was caught in the undercurrent at Point Pelee. Silent. Whoosh, I was under and thank the Lord that an adult was with me. Got pulled out rather unceremoniously by my scalp. That's all the man could see to grab. I don't recall it being like I was a gonner....just went under and came up spitting and hacking :eek:
I hope the parents of this child were informed and will pay a little more attention to what their kids are doing, i.e. go to the pool and watch their own kids and not leave their duty up to another person who may be busy! Get it together people!!

Luvmypit
June 22nd, 2005, 10:27 AM
I do have to question these parents. They didn't even come back for there kids till after 10.

I just want to drill into peoples minds how silent it can happen. I think that came as a shock to me that not one adult even realized.

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
didn't come til after 10........ I'm not a parent but i think thats late for a 5 year old to be up????

Stacey1
June 22nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
You are a parent yourself, I truely believe once you become a parent you get this sixth sense about kids.

I have a 27 ft above ground pool only 4 feet deep. I have my kids (5 of them) and they often want their friends to come in. I only allow 2 friends at 1 time, and my little one is 1.5 yrs old he has to wear his life jacket when we are on the deck, or ANYWHERE around the pool. He say's :mad:

Anyway, my point was I have all these kids wanting to come over and swim. I won't let them unless they ask there parents, they are always allowed, but I have YET to meet any of these parents. I just find that strange, I would not let my kids go swimmimg ANYWHERE unless I saw it first.

Some people are strange. :rolleyes:

Luvmypit
June 22nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
Thats just it. You can't trust even other people to parent their children. I wouldn't even let MAriah go into there house next door because I have never seen these people in my life. She just wanted to go and get a toy. But I said no. I don't them sorry. I always get that face stacey not to worry! lol

BMDLuver
June 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
I find it strange that the parents would not accompany the children over and make sure that all is well. I may just be an overprotective parent? :o

Stacey1
June 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
That's what I mean, you would think these parents would want to see where their kids are playing.

I know I wouldn't trust my kids to tell me the truth about something important like "is a parent going to be there". If the kid wants to go bad enough they MIGHT tell you whatever you want to hear.

Kids don't think about the "it could happen" scenarios, they just think "Oh my god, that would be so fun".

We as parents need to stick our noses into our kids lives a little more.
That's just my PERSONAL opinion. :)

lezzpezz
June 22nd, 2005, 10:47 AM
Well I don't even have kids of my own :o but even I get the basic rules of how to watch them and not just let them go willy-nilly all over the neighbourhood! I will even sit out at the pool with the neighbour's kids because they are simply not allowed to be at the pool unattended. It strikes me as simple common sense, something that some parents out there seem to be sadly lacking. I guess the world is just too trusting, enough so to let your precious children go to someone's pool ASSUMING that someone over there will watch them, and not even offer to watch them yourself! Who's responsibility is it anyway? Boggles my mind.....

Luvmypit
June 22nd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Or send the kid over who can't swim?? I know kids they will say anything and you are right. I mean the kid said I can swim. If something would have happened alot of adults there would have a hard time not blaming themselves.

Its not even being a parent lezzerpezzer its common sense. Thank god you got it.

Eleni
June 22nd, 2005, 11:28 AM
my mom has a below ground swimming pool, we are very very careful about pool safety

when my children are in the yard they wear life jackets, and arent allowed in the pool unless at least 1 adult per child is physically in the pool within arms reach.

Also when they are in the house the doors are locked so the kids cannot get into the yard without our knowledge

[my parents ahve slide locks at the top of the door that the children cant reach for this purpose]

all my children are very young as are their friends, so we ahve taken steps to protect children aroudn the pool, even if they seema bit extreme.

their yard is also fenced in with an 8 ft high fence so any children they dont know cant get into the yard.

Eleni

Prin
June 22nd, 2005, 01:13 PM
I have a cousin who is a bit bizarre to me, but nobody else thought he was weird, and one day, a few cousins were over swimming in their pool... One got into a small argument with this cousin and he held her head under the water. He was something like 5 or 6. Another reason to not take your eyes away.

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
OMG what happened next? did the cousin get therapy or anything??? that is real cause for concern.... I'm a bit disturbed....never crossed my mind....
thats pretty scary, :eek:

Prin
June 22nd, 2005, 01:18 PM
He got reemed!! I've never seen my aunts and uncles nail a kid so hard. I don't know if he got therapy, but I have to say he is a great guy now. I think it was just that he didn't understand the consequences of his actions.

Luvmypit
June 22nd, 2005, 02:30 PM
And I am sure this kid that said he could swim that he didn't think of the consequences of lying. I didn't know the kid nor his neighbours but from now on I will make sure I talk to their parents no matter what the kid says.

OdinAndAlan
June 22nd, 2005, 04:43 PM
In cases like these I believe that the parents are being irresponsible. I recall seeing a poster at local pools that say something to the effect of "If you're not within arms reach of your children then you're too far away". I think this experience certainly proves that.

Safyre
June 22nd, 2005, 10:26 PM
I was watching Fox 2 news and they had a stroy on pool safety.
The item that i feel in love with, is a motion sensor for the pool. it gets placed in the pool and if anything goes in the pool, an alarm goes off in the house and at the pool. Its agreat device for maing sure the child does not get into the pool unexpectedly.

As for kids in pools ,I prefer to be IN the pool with the child, not just watching from the deck.Specially those old above groud pools with no decking, jsut aladder into it. I'd rather but in there with them

Stacey1
June 23rd, 2005, 11:07 AM
I know what alarm you are talking about, the only down side to those are, if ANYTHING a leaf, dragonfly, frog I'm taling anything ends up in the pool it sets the alarm off.

Unless you have your pool completely enclosed to stop anything from going into the pool, you will be running back quite a bit because the alarm is going off.

The alarm is set up so if there was ANY movement on the surface of the pool it triggers a alarm in the house to let you know.

I don't know about anyone else but I get alot of leaves, small branches, I even had a small bird end up in my pool. I think it may end up a bigger pain then help.

Safyre
June 23rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
i Didn' look into the specifics of it, if it would set off at the movement of a leaf hitting the water or not. There were tons of suggestions made and thatwas just one of the ones I liked.
I have never had my own house, let alone a pool, hoping to get both within the next 5 years soo, i'm all about info at this point :)