Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bubba is still having soft stool issues.

RaYne
June 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Just a little history first... I switched Bubba my St.Bernard pup to Solid Gold Wolfcub, almost 2 months ago.. approximately. He's been having soft stools since we brought him home at 9 weeks old. He's now just over 4.5 months old and is still having the same issues. His poops are not runny, just for lack of a better word (sorry if I gross anyone out) they are the consistency of pancake batter.

He's been to the vet countless times for this, the last visit the vet found a single hookworm egg in his stool sample, thinking that was the problem he dewormed Bubba again. In total he has been dewormed 4 times and on metronidazole for a week. Still no improvement.

After reading some posts here I wonder if I could be overfeeding him?? His weight is normal and if I feed any less than I am now he hoovers everything like he's starving to death. He weighs about 55 pounds currently and is eating 6 cups of Wolfcub a day. 2 cups in the morning, 2 cups in the afternoon and 2 cups at night. The feeding guidelines on the bag state for his age a 40-60 pound puppy recommend 5-7 cups a day.

I'm just hoping someone can give me some ideas on what else could be causing this so I can mention it to my vet since Bubba is going back to the vet to be neutered in about 3 weeks. I figured I'd just get it looked at again at the same time since Bubba seems unfazed. It's me that has issues cleaning it up. LOL

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 08:24 AM
wow guess I'm just used to small dogs but that seems like alot of food, I'm no expert but in humans if we have problems digesting a certain food we get the runs so I'm thinking maybe its something that is in the food that his body is having trouble digesting. Usually I find that the receptionists at vet clinics are very knoligiable (sorry can't spell) I would call the clinic or even better call a different clinc and ask thier opinion. I have heard that peptobismol is safe for dogs, you can try that not for long term but may be it could stiffen them, but I would try changing food

Eleni
June 22nd, 2005, 10:16 AM
please consult you vet before trying pepto.

some human meds are ok for pets but only your vet can tell you what is safe and properly calculate the dosage for you, as it usually goes by weight when medicating an animal

Eleni

Luba
June 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Did the vet culture the stool?

I'm imagining you gave a sample to the vet, and one hookworm was found. Metronzl antibiotic can cause diarrhea and an upset tummy.

How many days left of this antibiotic?

After being off the med for 5 days do another stool sample make sure they CULTURE it!! An antibiotic I prefer from puppy poopie problems is Tylosin, ask your vet about it...it's more broad spectrum and has fewer side effects.

Not sure if you wanna try home cooking atleast one meal for your dog, simply boil chicken remove skin and fat and add some mashed potato to it for atleast one of the meals.

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 10:49 AM
here's where i saw about the pepto.... and it has mesuments by weight, you never know maybe a bit of blocking and he'll return to normal
i would hope,

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/1224/diarrhea.html

Dog Dancer
June 22nd, 2005, 11:14 AM
I don't know about Wolf Cub, but I currently feed my adult lab Wolf King and she's 60 lbs and the package I believe recommends 2 1/2 - 3 cups a day. Six sounds like a lot of food. When reducing the amount you feed you should just do it a bit at a time so that he hardly notices and he'll be less inclined to feel deprived. And I've said this before, and it's a common thread topic, but if you have soft stools and you are actively looking into what is causing them, try adding a spoon of pure pumpkin puree into the dogs food. Halo (the lab) has food allergies and chronic soft stools and the pumpkin in her meals helped ENORMOUSLY. I also had to reduce her food intake some. But my vet says if she's processing her food properly she shouldn't have the soft stool. I'd go pumpkin before I went pepto. Not pumpkin pie mix - pure pumpkin. For us it worked very fast - the fibre in it helps to absorb the extra moisture in the bowel. Anyhow, it's natural and is less likely to be harmful than pepto. JMO. Good luck. We are now having allergy issues with the Wolf King and will be going out tonight to look for yet another brand...

Prin
June 22nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Yes, 6 is a HUGE amount of food for a puppy. Try lowering it a bit and see what happens.

Otherwise, has the vet done any blood tests? Some dogs can be prone to genetic disorders of the GI tract that can cause chronic diarrhea.

RaYne
June 22nd, 2005, 08:47 PM
I don't think it's the Wolfcub since it's the third brand we have tried with him. He was eating Pro plan when we got him... then I tried Eukanuba.. and now the Wolfcub. He had the same soft stools through all 3 brands.

The metronidazole was finished 2 weeks ago. I did see some improvement in his stool for the first 2 days then it went right back to soft before the meds were even finished. I'm not sure if he did a culture or not.. he took the stool sample to the back, then came back and told me he found a hookworm egg.

I guess I shouldn't have been following the feeding instructions on the bag. His weight is fine so I assumed the amount of food was fine. I will lower it some tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Ok so I'll mention a stool culture since I'm not sure if he did one already.. and blood tests to my vet. I will also mention Tylosin..

Thanks all for the help.

Luba
June 22nd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Add some boiled white rice to the food.