Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thanks Animal Lovers!!!!

Crazy Hippie
June 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who took part in my whale slaughter posts....we won!!!! :thumbs up I'm SO happy with the results of this project, thanks for all your help!!! :highfive:

This is what I read on the Greenpeace website:

We Won! Thanks to your tremendous support, the Korean government has cancelled plans to build a whale meat factory in Ulsan. This is an important victory for us, and of course the whales, because it comes just one week before the start of the International Whaling Commission's (IWC) annual meeting taking place in Ulsan this year. This is an encouraging sign from the Korean government that they will not back Japan's plans to reopen commercial whaling.

Thank you for your support of the whales, and please check back on the results of next week's IWC meeting.
Total Number of People that have taken action: 14182
Targets: Mayor Park Maeng-woo

melanie
June 21st, 2005, 04:56 PM
i heard on the news that japan were pretty close to having the right amount of votes to reopen their whaling industry (well increase it). japan had alot of small land locked nations on their sid but- since they say their killing is for scientific purposes the NZ government has asked to see data from this research from the past 15yrs, that really pissed japan off.

this is from the SMH
Conservation nations claimed an emphatic victory over Japan's whaling ambitions last night when its proposal for a resumption of commercial whaling was soundly beaten.

The plan, which would have lifted the 18-year-old moratorium on commercial whaling, scrapped whale sanctuaries and made scientific whaling easier, fell far short of success in the International Whaling Commission meeting in Ulsan.

Needing a three-quarters majority to succeed, it failed to even win half the votes, with 29 votes recorded against it and only 23 in support, all of them acolytes of Japan.

The Prime Minister, John Howard, last night welcomed the result as "a very good outcome for Australia and the stance Australia has taken".

The Environment Minister, Ian Campbell, said Australia and other anti-whaling nations had wanted to send a strong message to Japan that its whaling was opposed, and this had happened.

"We were seriously on the edge of an abyss, with the chance of seeing the world step over the edge towards commercial whaling. This is a great result for all the Australians who campaigned against it," he said.

and since the whales are in our waters at the mo its all quite realistic, and its so reassuring to know that they are safe.....

and we all cheer 'get that up ya whale killers' :highfive:

lilith_rizel
June 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM
That is wonderful!!!! I was just thinking about that, and was wondering if it was going to go through.

twodogsandacat
June 21st, 2005, 05:41 PM
Great news. Absolutely awesome job. :thumbs up

Princesss04
June 21st, 2005, 07:30 PM
That is wonderful news! Good work! :D

Luvmypit
June 22nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
That is awesome! Good job Australia and Greenpeace!

melanie
June 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM
well it turns out that japan was only being polite in asking, they will go ahead and increase the numbers of ther scientific :eek: kull, they can do that without permission, but they couldnt reopen the whaling industy as a whole, but they are going to increase their numbers of minkies and fins, jsut sucks....*******s, like my husband said that sort of attitude got them bombed in the past, i think their jsut sociopaths. its jsut disgusting, they dotn care and are laughing at us all...

by the way they were only outvoted by 2, 27-29 us........

so no they dont get to increase al ltheir numbers but they can increase on the minkis and fins, just grose.....

Crazy Hippie
June 23rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
AARRRRRGH! 1 step forward, 3 steps back...how can this happen with such a public outcry? It makes me sick. :mad:

nymph
June 24th, 2005, 03:07 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8324667/
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:56 p.m. ET June 23, 2005

TOKYO - A fast food chain in northern Japan began offering a whale burger on Thursday, even as anti-whaling nations urged Japan to cut back on its catch at an international conference on whaling.

Restaurant chain Lucky Pierrot is serving a deep fried minke whale meat burger with lettuce and mayonnaise for $3.50 at its 10 restaurants in Hakodate on Japanís northern island of Hokkaido, once a whaling hub in the nation.

Japan is facing increasing international criticism for its research whaling program in which the whales are killed in order to study them and their meat is then sold. Critics say it is commercial hunting in disguise.

Miku Oh, an official for Lucky Pierrot, said the chain is only utilizing stock meat obtained from the scientific research and that it wants to preserve the culture of eating whale meat.

Crazy Hippie
June 26th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Japan is facing increasing international criticism for its research whaling program in which the whales are killed in order to study them and their meat is then sold. Critics say it is commercial hunting in disguise.

Miku Oh, an official for Lucky Pierrot, said the chain is only utilizing stock meat obtained from the scientific research and that it wants to preserve the culture of eating whale meat.

What exactly are they "studying"? And why would people want to eat meat from lab specimens anyway? This is just disgusting in every way. What is wrong with people! Preserving the culture of eating whale meat....lets preserve the culture of cannibalism and start with these idiots. Poacher burgers anyone? I just don't understand why people would want to destroy such gentle, intelligent creatures...do they not have as much right to this earth as we do? To live in their natural habitat without stupid humans taking everything? Grrrr! :evil: