Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Travellers cheques?

jackieb
June 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM
My dad is comming over hes wondering weather to get english travellers cheques or canadian (the exchange rate is poor in England

Do any shops take travellers cheques in canadian dollars i cant remember any also will he be charged to cash them

Any ideas which is the best option english or canadian?

BMDLuver
June 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM
If your dad has an instabank card, that is the best bet. I used mine all over europe so I wouldn't need differing currencies. His card should work here just fine and he can take some cash out at a local machine for emerg purposes.

Lizzie
June 21st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Most Canadian banks and stores accept American Express traveller's cheques. You don't need an AMEX card to get them...you can buy them at currency exchange places and banks.

Many banks here don't deal with Visa traveller's cheques for some weird reason. Not sure about stores...

glasslass
June 21st, 2005, 06:19 PM
I had a bad experience in Germany years ago. Somewhere between SF Airport and Frankfurt Airport, I lost my traveler's checks and return ticket. If I had had American Express traveler's checks, I could have gotten them replaced in any city. Alas, I had Visa travelers checks. Only two places in Germany to get them replaced. Spent a day in the bank hasseling because Visa only replaced up to $1000. Everything over that is insured through Lloyd's of London. Problem is that means getting 2 checks, one from Visa and the other from Lloyd's. German bank only wanted to accept 1 check. Finally got it all squared away! Luckily, I flew on Luftshanza. They replaced my return ticket with no problem and even put me in 1st class when I flew home. If I had flown through an American airline, I later found out, I would have had to purchase the return ticket, waited a year, and if no one had used it, could get reimbursed for the original ticket.

Recently I've heard that the bank cards are the preferred way to go now. Better rate of exchange too. I've even heard that many places are no longer even accepting the traveler's checks.

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2005, 07:11 PM
I use my ATM card almost everywhere in the world - I do of course check the excahange rates - but almost every airport has an ATM machine and you can access money there. And your bank will have partnerships with various banks - they have a list on their web site.

That and my credit cards are what I use for travel. Travellers' checks are just not worth the hassle! Even in wartorn countries, I have found ATM machines!!

JDG
June 21st, 2005, 07:42 PM
Before I moved to England, I used to get travellers cheques.

The secret is to find out which banks have 'partnerships' with each other - if you buy them from the correct bank, and cash them in the right partner bank there is no fee for cashing them out.