Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SPCA Montreal

poodletalk
June 21st, 2005, 03:01 PM
SPCA lashes out at Quebec fundraisers
Last updated Jun 21 2005 09:56 AM ADT
CBC News
CBC NEWS The Nova Scotia SPCA wants a Montreal-based humane society to stay in its own backyard.

Earlier this month, a group called the Canadian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals sent letters to Nova Scotians asking for donations to be sent to a Halifax post office box.

But Judith Gass, president of the Nova Scotia SPCA, said that group may have a national name but it only represents one charity in Montreal.

"I think it's a whole lot of deception here," she said. "They don't say this is for animals in Quebec because they know that everyone, quite frankly, wants to give to the local area."

The executive director of the Montreal-based SPCA, Pierre Barnoti, said the solicitation letters clearly indicate the money goes to his shelter in Quebec, which needs the support.

"By the same token that allows a Canadian anywhere in Canada to donate to starving kids in Africa, we feel that donors should have the free choice of donating wherever the need is," he said.

Montreal's Canadian SPCA collected $3.5 million in tax-receipted donations in 2003. In comparison, the Nova Scotia SPCA collected $135,000.

Prin
June 22nd, 2005, 03:39 PM
I have noticed that the SPCA here in Montreal is the "SPCA", and the others have the city name: SPCA Laval, SPCA Monteregie, etc... A little bit deceptive. I think the money should be pooled and split according to needs. If they are associated, they should be completely associated, right?

poodletalk
June 30th, 2005, 09:04 AM
"SPCA" is a franchise name. I believe the first SPCA was in England. Every SPCA is runned indivually. SPCA Monteregie is a no Kill where as SPCA Montreal isn't. Every SPCA has their own board of directors. The only two SPCA have something to do with each other is SPCA Laval and SPCA Montreal. They could have the same board of Directors, NOT sure about that. SPCA Montreal likes to think they are THE SPCA, but legally they are SPCA Montreal.