Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat keeps peeing outside of the litterbox

cookieNfluffy
June 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM
cookie is a 3 yrs old calico. when we lived in an apt, she shared a normal
size open litter box with fluffy (1.5yrs old male cat, both of them are spayed/neutered). everything was fine at that time even we left them at
home for 1,2 days.

But since we moved to the new house last summer, cookie began to pee
outside of the litter box once a while. I changed the old litter box to a biger
one when we just moved in. Once i found that cookie pee outside of
the litter box, i put the old one in the same wash room with the new one.
things got better for a while but not very long. she does it 1,2 times a
week, just in the wash room where we put the litter box. I brush the floor
using odor removal liquid and cover with pets soda.

I realized that sometimes it because I didn't clean the litter box on time
(I usually clean it 3 times a day), if i didn't clean it when i get up in the
morning or before go to the bed, she will pee outside. but sometimes, she
does it even the litter box is quite clean.

She looks find and normal in any other way.

is she anygry with something else? :confused:

Eleni
June 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
might wanna take her to the vet and get her checked out, sometimes cats can get urinary tract infections just like people and they can avoid the litter box.

another more extreme reason could be diabetes in the cat, someone i know had a cat that started going outside his box and it turned out he was diabetic.

anyhow take cookie to the vet to ensure a clean bill of health, cats usually dont go outside their litter usually it is an indication of a health problem, or they dont like their litter or the clenliness of the litter

Eleni

doggy lover
June 21st, 2005, 02:17 PM
Thats what was wrong with one of my cats when she started peeing outside of the litter box. Take her to the vet, it is easy they just test a urine sample and dont worry you don't have to get it for them. I can just see you behind her with a sample jar trying to catch it LOL.

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2005, 03:45 PM
There can be several reasons a cat urinates inappriately. First, most people follow the rule of having one litter box per cat plus one. I follow this rule and have never had any problems. Usually cats are attempting to communicate something to you with inappropriate urination so maybe she wants her own box. Always keep it clean - I know my cats hate even a little tiny but of excess you know what in it.

If all that is followed, your kitty could be trying to tell you she has a uti or some type of infection. So a trip to the vet may be in order.

Also, when you clean the area where she peed, do not use javex - cats smell the amonia and think that it smells like uric acid and voila, they go there again.

Good luck!