Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I had something weird and frightening happen last night

lilith_rizel
June 21st, 2005, 11:30 AM
I was talking on the phone to one of my friends from highschool when the doorbell rang. I don't like answering the door when hubby isn't home, unless I know who it is. I peeked out the blinds, but couldn't see the face of the person, so I looked out the peeks hole. The lady was already walking back to the care, which looks like my friends car, and the lady looked like my friend as well. So, I opened the door, hoping that they had the baby. Well, it turn out to be a woman who wanted to come in our house and look at the layout of it. She didn't even introduce herself or anything. A complete stranger. If hubby was home, I would say yes, but also have to think that there was a man in the car as well, I am pregnant and I also have a baby. There is no way a stranger is coming in my house, when we are alone. I didn't want them to know what room was Judith's. And Lately there have been stories of where people cut the fetuses out of the mother and both die. I am probably WAY over reacting about this. But I would rather be doing that, than it end up getting us hurt.......

Hubby said the he wants be to keep his staff by the door, just incase, and to never open the door unless I know for sure who the people are now. I know for sure that I will do that too, because I was fightened. Mainly because she never even introduced herself, and she wanted to come into our home.....

The reason why she wanted to come into our home, is because they are supposed to be moving into a home in our area, and tomorrow they get to see the place, but couldn't wait a day.... To me, I don't think it really adds up, what is a day going to matter......

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2005, 11:39 AM
I think you were right not to let her in and James is right too - never let someone in you do not know! Her story sounds fishy to me, kind of weird imho! Especially why at that time of night. She can ask her real estate agent to show her the house she is moving into.

Rita
June 21st, 2005, 11:40 AM
The reason why she wanted to come into our home, is because they are supposed to be moving into a home in our area, and tomorrow they get to see the place, but couldn't wait a day.... To me, I don't think it really adds up, what is a day going to matter......
That sounds very suspicious to me :mad:
I'm the same way, don't open door to strangers if hubby isn't around ... sometimes even if he is around depending on time of day etc.
I wonder if reporting something like that to the police would be beneficial? If it is some sort of scam or something then maybe they should be made aware of it.

Stacey1
June 21st, 2005, 11:41 AM
You are smart not to open the door anymore, if anything that was a learning expeariance for you.
I know since our dog died, I find it very hard to be alone with my kids at night when my husband is working. At least she would let me know if anyone was outside, and she let anyone outside know she was inside. HAHA :evil:

Beaglemom
June 21st, 2005, 11:43 AM
OMG! This sounds way too suspicious to me! Too many red flags! I would never have allowed her in either, husband home or not. You just never know what people's intentions are now a days. She could have wanted to scope your house for burglarizing later on. Or worse, she could have wanted to do you and the baby harm.

I don't know anybody who would have allowed someone in their home just because they wanted to see the layout! That is just too suspicious.

Just like you lilith rizel, I never open the door unless I know the person or am expecting someone.

I really think that she had alterior motives. A day really should not have mattered. If she really wanted to see the layout, why not wait to see the house she intended on purchasing?

lilith_rizel
June 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM
I know, she will be seeing their house tomorrow. I was scared. I went around the entire house, made sure all windows were locked, checked and rechecked all the doors, even ther garage doors, to make sure they were locked. I just wish that hubby was home. I don't feel really safe in the house right now

lilith_rizel
June 21st, 2005, 11:48 AM
I really think that she had alterior motives. A day really should not have mattered. If she really wanted to see the layout, why not wait to see the house she intended on purchasing?

All the houses here have the same layout, They all look the same, really boring if you ask me. Even all the siding is the same color.......

I only opened the door because I thought it was my friend. I think I am going to let them know about this, and tell them too not make any suprise visits, or atleast if they are going to, call me from their cell if I don't answer right away.....

raingirl
June 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
You live on a military base right? I would let the people in charge know about this (military police??) just in case there have been other instances of the same thing happening, they would probably want to know. If there is a pattern, they could let the people at the base know to look out for these people.

lilith_rizel
June 21st, 2005, 12:01 PM
yes, we live on a military base. I am going to contact the MP (military police). I also just informed my friends about it, and told them what the car and the woman looked like, just incase they keep on going...... Don't want them to get harmed at all..... They are like our family here.......

Luba
June 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM
Be cautious but don't stress yourself too much.

Description of the car and a plate number would be most beneficial just to be on the safe side.

I hope it's nothing,and that you will be careful but not upset yourself too too much!

:D

lilith_rizel
June 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM
I think I am also going to talk to hubby and see if he will allow me to get another dog. I would feel much more secure having one here, while he is gone. I just want a small one though......

Prin
June 21st, 2005, 02:02 PM
You should try to find one of these peepholes. It's a screen a bit bigger than 2 inches in diameter and it gives you a clear picture of what is outside. They're also only one way. I got this on off Ebay... You can see the image up to 8 feet away too, so it's great for kids who are not tall enough.

I hope you don't open your door to anybody else... We all want you to be safe and being on a military base might mean to others that your hubby is probably not home, right? Please be careful.

lilith_rizel
June 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM
I know. I hope that my friends read the email I sent them about it soon.....

lilith_rizel
June 21st, 2005, 04:56 PM
Well, I sent an IM to hubby about getting a dog. Stated that it would make me feel alot safer to have one in the home, especially with him having the chance of going over seas next year. I am hoping that he will agree to it. I don't feel to secure being home alone anymore. Especially after last night, and reading the papers about people cutting out fetuses and trying to make them as their own, even at early stages of pregnancy...... I find myself checking the doors and windows costantly, and Judith hasn't left my side, unles I have to go to the bathroom, then I check her stroller when I come back, just to make sure she is still there. I think getting a dog, even a small one, would be a good idea, after this has happened. My friend said the same thing, and another said that it is very believeable that someone would get on post, even without being military. The easiest way to hurt the military is through the families..... And with us only being 40 miles from DC, I don't trust anybody, as for as I can throw them, and that isn't very far at all!

I would just like you guys' opinions about possibly getting a dog in the house, after this.........

Jackie467
June 21st, 2005, 07:48 PM
Honestly with having such a young daughter and another on the way I really don't think getting a dog is a good idea. Since you already had to give up one dog because of Judith, I just don't think it's a good idea now especially with another on the way, Your going to have your hands full. I compeletly understand what happened with Cano but I hate to see it happen again. With Judith already needing special attention and a new baby IMO I just don't think it's a good idea.

Schwinn
June 21st, 2005, 09:26 PM
I agree, I would mention it to the MPs, and I would be careful if you are nervous. Don't stress too much, though. I have heard of this before (and I think it is pretty bizarre). I just don't want to see you too stressed, but it's okay to be cautious.

Crazy Hippie
June 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
This reminds me of a story one of my teachers told me. She was home alone during the day, a man came to her house and asked if he could take a few mins to do a survey. Being a sociologist, the prof has done tons of research herself so she said ok. His "study" involved questions relating to how many men lived in her home and at what times during the day the men were in the home. :eek: Obviously she got suspicious, and asked questions about the credibility of his study. He left in a hurry, she called the police, and the police picked him up. He was trying to find out how many houses had single women in them!