Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Help, I have a sick dog here

KrissyY3
June 21st, 2005, 06:35 AM
I am babysitting my grandma's dog this week. She told me that the dog was not feeling well so I knew something was wrong before I started watching her. I wanted to see if anyone would have any guesses as to what could be wrong. She is a chihuahua. She is acting really tired, all she wants to do is lay under covers. She shakes like she is cold. She probably is. I think that she has a fever. She is hardly eating anything at all. My grandma has been giving her baby asperin and that makes her feel a little better. She wants to take her to the vet when she gets back but I am worried. I have never dealt with a sick dog before and I am not sure if it is serious or not. If anyone knows maybe what could be wrong with my grandma's dog please respond or email me at KrissyY3@excite.com. Please help! Thank You

BMDLuver
June 21st, 2005, 06:40 AM
Hi Krissy,
Not to alarm you but little Chihuahua's don't handle being ill very well because they are tiny and fragile. It could be something as simple as low sugars or she may have got some type of virus. Are you able to take the dog to the vet? I'm sure your grandmother would appreciate her dog being well taken care of during her absence.

Eleni
June 21st, 2005, 06:42 AM
the dog really needs to see the vet right away

how long are you watching the dog?? can you telephone your parents and have them take the dog to the vet??

dogs can go from a bit sick to gravely ill in a matter of hours, and it really wasnt responsible of your grandmother to leave you with an Ill dog.

But you can help the dog by getting it to a vet, please let us know how it turns out

Eleni

Luba
June 21st, 2005, 11:08 AM
If you aren't an adult, consult with one...like your mother or father and ask to take the dog to the vet. Chi's can get very sick very fast because they are so tiny and fragile. DO NOT give this dog anymore aspirin. You can and probably would be OVER medicating it.

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2005, 11:43 AM
Please stop giving her asa or aspirin immediately!! That will not only NOT help but it is poisonous to a dog. So is acetemenophen. Bring the pooch to a vet and get the proper diagnosis and treatment asap!!

Beaglemom
June 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM
I agree with the others, this dog should see a vet asap. If you are not of age, ask your parents to help you in getting this dog to a vet. I'm sure your grandmother will refund your money since she was planning on seeing a vet when she came back. I'm not sure what the circumstances of your grandmother leaving before having the dog examined, but I'm sure she would appreciate you taking really good care of her dog and having her seen by a vet. If you are able to, contact your grandmother and let her know your intentions and concerns.

Prin
June 21st, 2005, 01:21 PM
I agree. This dog needs a vet ASAP. Fevers indicate other infections in dogs. This could be very serious.

KrissyY3
June 21st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Thank You everyone. I will try and take her to the vet tonight. I wanted to let you know that the only reason I was giving her BABY aspirin is because when I got my dog his puppy shots the vet told me to give him baby aspirin to keep him from getting a fever. So i just assumed that it would have the same affect on my grandmothers dog.

Lucky Rescue
June 21st, 2005, 10:30 PM
Is this dog spayed?

A dog this small who is not eating can be in great danger. Giving aspirin to dogs is okay, but on an empty stomach they can do a LOT of harm.

Let us know what the vet says!

Cactus Flower
June 22nd, 2005, 04:38 AM
I gave my old dog, Kiva, an aspirin a day, as recommended by the vet, for some time. Aspirin is not poisonous to dogs.

But it's good that you are going to try to get her to the vet. I'm sure you were just trying to help her by giving her the aspirin, but first you have to find out what the problem is and what kind of help she needs.

You must have felt pretty scared and helpless, babysitting your Grandma's dog and then seeing how sick she really is. I think it's great that you cared enough to try to get her some help.

Please, update us on what the vet says, ok?

KrissyY3
June 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
Well I went to the vet yesterday and he said that the dog has some pinched nerves in her back. He said that if she is hurting it could cause her to not want to eat or do much of anything. He gave me some steroids to give her. Also she has a little bit of a staff infection so he gave me some medicine for that. She was still kind of acting the same this morning but she did eat. So hopefully that is what is wrong with her and she will be back to normal by the end of the day. Thanks everyone for your help. And about the baby aspirin, I told the vet about it and he said that there was nothing wrong with giving her the aspirin. Thanks everyone!

Cactus Flower
June 22nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks for letting us know, Krissy! Glad that she is on her way to getting better.

CyberKitten
June 22nd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Thx for the update. I gave my dog ASA once (when I was prob your age) and our vet chewed me out for it so now I stay away from it. Then I saw Lucky say it was OK - I do know it is poison for cats. So glad everything worked out - maybe I just had a cranky vet!! I'll prob still never give a dog ASA tho.

I used to give my bunny baby ASA for arthritis but glucausamine worked much better.

angie79
June 22nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
great news I'm sure your grandma will be happy that you took all the steps...
and you said she should be better by the end of the day thats fantastic wish I had that Dr.

:highfive: