Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Keebler the elf-cat

pags
June 20th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Oh what a long story.. but here's Keebs keeping the baby amused.

JDG
June 20th, 2005, 10:32 PM
What a super name! and a very nice looking to match!

Luba
June 20th, 2005, 11:00 PM
OH how nice to meet ya Keebie baby!! I love your face oh what a face!!

And boy do you have some 'splainin to do LOL :eek:

pags
June 21st, 2005, 12:44 AM
Okay since Keebs isn't going to 'splain anything.. I guess it falls to me to do this. I wasn't sure where exactly to tack this on so if this needs to be moved around a bit - I totally understand.

Here's the situation (I'll try to be brief cause I'm plain exhausted...):

Keebler the elf-cat took up a semi-residence at our house Sunday night. It's all very bizarre - but I'm sure you cat people understand how cats just sort of adopt people? Yeah - we were adopted. Anyway... I'm still making this story short.. but I realized tonight after getting close enough that she's obviously nursing kitties somewhere! I have no idea where. We fortunately have a doggie-door.. so when we took her in last night she still had the option of going out. And she took that option for most of the day and arrived again tonight for couch time and lots of food.

Now that we realize this.. we've put some food outside for her in addition to what we have inside and a box and a blanket as well.. But I'm wondering if any of you have any tricks and tips on how to maybe get her to bring her kitties here? They could literally be ANYWHERE (except our yard which we immediately thoroughly searched...) My kids already canvassed the neighborhood this morning asking if anyone was missing a cat... and no one knew a thing... So no leads there either.

Sorry if this is incoherent but... you know... exhaustion. Right! Thanks for the help.

Rita
June 21st, 2005, 07:31 AM
Keebs is adorable ... she must have known you needed some furbaby comfort :angel:
Hopefully the box/blanket/food outside will entice her to bring her babies around.

chico2
June 21st, 2005, 09:30 AM
I would think she was almost"heaven sent",knowing you needed some comfort... :love:
Maybe you can try to follow her and see where she goes,I've never had a mom cat,but if she has her kittens in a safe place,I doubt she would move them,they would more than likely follow her to your house once they are old enough.
Thank's for taking care of her,she's beautiful :love:
The bad part is,if she's intact,which she obviously is,she can get preggers right away,again,even though she's nursing.

pags
June 21st, 2005, 09:46 AM
The bad part is,if she's intact,which she obviously is,she can get preggers right away,again,even though she's nursing.

Argh - Luba broke this news to me last night too.

Luba
June 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM
Yes hopefully she'll bring them to you, I'm a rootin and a tootin for her to do that.

In the meantime tell her to close her legs :eek:

pags
June 27th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Hey all. By way of update.. Keebler has been to the vet now. Apparently she did have kittens recently but the doc said it has been some time since she nursed. Most likely sad news for her kitties wherever they are. :( The good news for Keebler is that she has an appointment to be spayed tomorrow (she won't think that's good news, I'm sure...).. and there's a possibility that she will be adopted out to someone who can provide an all-inside home for her. (Either a lady friend of the vet's if that goes well... or if not.. my mother would like to take her in as a companion.) In the meantime - I thought we'd take a romp outside together as a sort of pre-important happening celebration. :)

Please notice the paw getting ready to touch the camera. :D She's a touchy-feely kind of cat, you see...

pags
June 27th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Ah.. and success!

lezzpezz
June 27th, 2005, 05:33 PM
That last photo is a hoot! A real action shot! Keebler is very nice looking too!

chico2
June 27th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Pags,the last one is a great picture..I am so happy she found you,even if she's not staying :D

Rita
June 27th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Oh Pags good for you for taking her in to the vet ... too bad you can't keep her yourself as she seems to be quite comfortable with you :)
Love that last picture!!!
Gald to hear that she will have a home to go to .... thank you for taking such good care of her :love: :pawprint:

pags
June 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Oh Pags good for you for taking her in to the vet ... too bad you can't keep her yourself as she seems to be quite comfortable with you :)
Love that last picture!!!
Gald to hear that she will have a home to go to .... thank you for taking such good care of her :love: :pawprint:

Oh Rita she is the sweetest kitty!! She was so skiddish at first that I really thought all she'd ever do is sneak up on our porch for some food... but she obviously needed some attention just as much as she needed some food. She almost instantly became super-loving kitty.

And chico -- I am so glad she found us too! She'll always be my heaven-sent kitty... I needed her as much as she needed me the night she came to us.

I got busy taking care of the terror puppy last night and this morning -- but Keebs was not forgotten! She stayed with the vet last night following her spaying and I got to see her this morning.. She's doing well I'm happy to say! The vet said his lady friend is very interested in meeting her. He's going to take Keebler home with him tonight as I found myself in the impossible position of trying to carry out a cat recovering from surgery, a sick puppy, a toddler, a 7 year old and an 8 year old from the vet's office this morning. I didn't even have room for both crates in the car. :eek: I had wanted for the meeting to take place here at our house -- but he said he'll introduce them tonight and that this lady will then call us and come talk to us about her sometime after dinner. This is great because I really DO want to meet this woman before we decide she can take off with my elfcat. Luckily I trust this vet too though..

So we'll see!

pags
June 29th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Hello hello hello. I had a relatively short but nice visit with Keebs prospective mom tonight. She's a lovely lady -- and she happens to live about two streets down from us. My boys recognized her and vice versa from the morning they went around the neighborhood asking if anyone had lost a cat. LOL!! I should have known -- this is a really small town. Anyway -- I had been under the impression that she was a widow and that sort of worried me (you know.. who would take care of Keebler if something happened to this poor woman?).. but she's not .. and we got to meet her husband too. Her husband has actually stopped to talk to us before on his morning walks. See - small town! She brought a picture of her cat of 15 years that passed away recently and she looked like a mature Keebler. I can understand why the vet thought so too -- but she didn't have Keeb's orange tortoise patches I like so much... But anyway -- I feel pretty good about this... and I love the fact that I'll know exactly where the kitty is! Keebler will be an all-inside kitty from now on.. so no more door-to-door begging for her. :)

Oh - one drawback.. she isn't thrilled with Keebler's very non-feminine name (Keebletta, Luba?) LOL I assured her that I wouldn't mind if she changed it as it's simply what we called her for a little over a week... but she's got to let me know her new identity right away even though we'll probably always call her Keebler the elfcat. :)

Luba
June 29th, 2005, 11:16 PM
OH this is all fantastic news I am SOOOO HAPPY you have done really really well Pags I am soo proud of you :D :D

Keebletta LMFHO

chico2
June 30th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Pags,that's wonderful news...she'll probably be one pampered little kitty and you can still be in touch. :love: