Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog with warts

maddoxies
June 20th, 2005, 07:13 PM
My mini doxie has developed several (4 at the moment) warts on his lower lip. I know this is viral and his immune system should have taken care of this before now. I suspect he is stressed due to events over the last 3 months (losing our golden, going back and forth between home, hotel rooms and family on weekends) and this has had an impact on his immune system.

I plan to put some Rescue Remedy in his daily water bowl to help with the stress (we are heading back to family and then the hotel this weekend. Our new mini doxie arrives Sunday too). Does anyone else has any suggestions for helping to boost his immune system? I realize warts are not "serious", but I want to get on top of this, before his immune system becomes any more compromised.

Prin
June 21st, 2005, 02:18 AM
Jemma had a wart on her tongue for about 6 months... Nothing was going on... They take a while.

As for immune boosters, how about exercise? :) In humans they finally figured out that vitamin C only helps a cold if you are very active while taking it...

maddoxies
June 21st, 2005, 06:15 AM
thanks Prin, someone else suggested a bit of yoghurt every day, and yours is a good suggestion too. It is a bit tough with my torn up knee, but I can think of a couple of "games" to boost his activity but not stress my knee. Also the new doxie arriving Sunday will be a playmate for him, which should move his little butt some more.

Because he is a rescue and I dont know his "pedigree"/background, and just losing Champ to leukemia, I am probably fussing/over reacting.

Eleni
June 21st, 2005, 06:45 AM
yogurt really is great, but prin has a good poitn, exercise also helps releive stress

so it may help your dog in more then 1 way.

can you get a neighbor or family member to take the dog for a walk or a play t the park for awhile each day??

i have a neighbor that takes sam for a walk when I cant manage it, and sam sure does appreciate it.

Eleni

Luba
June 21st, 2005, 11:02 AM
You can boost the immune system by providing fresh healthy food for your dog as opposed to rendered down dog food.

Fresh food, chicken, beef, turkey along with rice, potatos and other veggies (cooked of course) provide essential digestive enzymes and nutrients that are easier on the immune system.

Yogurt is a good idea, and I would give a little less then a tablespoon a day to your small dog. Added to it I would put a single drop of Oil of Oregano (known for killing viral infections, inflammation, boosting immunity and killing bacteria and parasites)

Best of luck :D

Prin
June 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Here's Jemma's when it was starting to get smaller... It was pretty gross and she got really licky too... :yuck:

maddoxies
June 21st, 2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys, there are some great suggestions here.

Valentin is afraid of people, (although from the first second we met, he was fine with me). He would be ok wih my sister and on weekends she will help to walk him. The hotel staff would walk him, but there is no way he would go with them and it would stress him out even more. My problem is that for the next 6 weeks we are back in the hotel suite. I have a kitchenette, but not enough facilities to cook for him. The two biggest warts on his lower lip seem to be bigger than Jenna's wart. It looked like one of his canine teeth sticking out from his muzzle. there are atleast two more small warts too.

So exercise, yoghurt, Oil of Oregano and some Rescue Remedy seem to be the first changes I can make to help boost his system. Perhaps on weekends at my sister's house, we can cook up some doggie dinners for him.

Thanks guys. Losing Champ so quickly and so relatively young has got me a bit spooked. The vet's advice of letting nature take its course and waiting 2 months before doing anything just did not seem enough for me.

badger
June 21st, 2005, 08:22 PM
If you wanted to go really overboard, you could get some L-Lysine in gel form from the vet (The company is Vet Solutions - Viralys is the name of the product). Mesaana gave me some for Simon's herpes eye and it has finally kicked in, he was so miserable, of course no way of knowing whether the Lysine was a factor, but it is a natural substance and is supposed to be an immune booster.

This product looks to be similar:

http://www.crvetcenter.com/papilloma.htm